Show "Yourself" self-portraits (selfies!)

Mirror mirror on the ground.:ROFLMAO:
DSC00856 from raw.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Well, well....who'd have thunked it? I made it to the grand old age of 68. That's my benchmark. My Grandfather Leon died at the age of 67 from cancer. He saw 2 great wars and fought in one of them. He was in the retreat from Mons, an "Old Contemptible".

Now, I look back on my years and how I feel, I realise that 67 was no great age. He saw a lot in his time, but never saw the best of it. I feel a bit like Djokovic waiting for his record breaking grand slam. Another 2 years to 70 and I will have cracked it. But then I could be knocked over by a No.9 bus tomorrow (as the old saying goes). Worryingly, we do have a No.9 bus here in Billericay. I wonder if one has my name on it. I take no comfort from the fact that you don't see a bus for ages, then they all come along at once. So it might be f'dump f'dump f'dump as they each have a bash. Anyways, I don't feel like 68 in my head.....the body is a different matter entirely. I feel like it's put together with box string and glue. I have had a heart attack, now have Parkinson's. I have fractured both legs in recent past, can't feel my legs below the knees, smashed my face into a brick wall, knocked myself out in London after a fall, and at about 4am every morning I stumble like a cripple from door frame to door frame as support in a life or death race to the loo. So far, I have won each time. I can still lift a camera and I am still quick on the draw in street photography thank goodness. I have a wonderful wife who keeps me alive and a wonderful family. Life ain't bad at all. Here's to the next 32yrs and a telegram from King Charles? King William?, King Andrew ?View attachment 365011(OMG)!
I'm 76 y.o. next birthday, and know exactly how you feel, Peter, for many different reasons, but the same outcomes.

My wife is in much better condition than I am, even though three years older. She gets a carer allowance for looking after me. Barring the unforeseeable, my chances of outliving her are statistically minute. I am exceptionally fortunate that she takes such good care of me, so willingly.

I look to be in much better condition than I am, which can be disadvantageous. Fortunately, my doctor realises and understands this.

Well, well....who'd have thunked it? I made it to the grand old age of 68. That's my benchmark. My Grandfather Leon died at the age of 67 from cancer. He saw 2 great wars and fought in one of them. He was in the retreat from Mons, an "Old Contemptible".

Now, I look back on my years and how I feel, I realise that 67 was no great age. He saw a lot in his time, but never saw the best of it. I feel a bit like Djokovic waiting for his record breaking grand slam. Another 2 years to 70 and I will have cracked it. But then I could be knocked over by a No.9 bus tomorrow (as the old saying goes). Worryingly, we do have a No.9 bus here in Billericay. I wonder if one has my name on it. I take no comfort from the fact that you don't see a bus for ages, then they all come along at once. So it might be f'dump f'dump f'dump as they each have a bash. Anyways, I don't feel like 68 in my head.....the body is a different matter entirely. I feel like it's put together with box string and glue. I have had a heart attack, now have Parkinson's. I have fractured both legs in recent past, can't feel my legs below the knees, smashed my face into a brick wall, knocked myself out in London after a fall, and at about 4am every morning I stumble like a cripple from door frame to door frame as support in a life or death race to the loo. So far, I have won each time. I can still lift a camera and I am still quick on the draw in street photography thank goodness. I have a wonderful wife who keeps me alive and a wonderful family. Life ain't bad at all. Here's to the next 32yrs and a telegram from King Charles? King William?, King Andrew ?View attachment 365011(OMG)!
Congratulations. Aging can at times be trying. I'm 71 and time is starting to say, "I told you so", but I plan on being around for a while yet. For "I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep." At least I hope so. Being able to lift a camera goes a long way.

Likewise, made it to 68 this year! There was a time when I was a young man that no one could convince me any of us would make past 40. 😀
Great to see you around, as it seems like a while since you posted.

Shot when I was about 22 years old, with my Leica M3. From terribly stored and scratched negative. (I have made it to age 69. My friends are dropping like flies all around me. On the other hand, my father is 93 and still driving, totally lucid, and ambulatory. His father made it to 98. So we shall see)

leica_m3.jpg

I think we can all tell it's you Walter.
This portrait was taken in b&w by a professional photographer who introduced us to dark-room techniques. It was a course offered by the urban youth center. After he had taken a shot of each of us, he let us develop the prints ourselves according to his instructions. So this was the best of my first dark-room experiences. The slight sepia tones show that at that time (early seventies) there was no UV-protection yet.

PXL_20230216_205023192~2.jpg
After not seeing me for 13 hours she gets so excited she holds to my hand for dear life, digs her nose in my beard and cries like a little baby. I asked Google Assistant to take a selfie and it opened the camera on its own, chose the front camera out of 4 (total) cameras (letting me to focus on holding the phone steady enough because) it went into Low Light mode (I had my living lights to 50% brightness).

I edited the picture in the stock editor and used a few "extra" features, like UnBlur (Neural Net based sharpening) because the shutter speed was 1/8th sec,Magic Eraser (Photoshop like Content Aware Fill), Portrait Light (adaptive extra light source that can improve light mood), Blurr Background (not particularly effective or to my taste so I used only a tiny bit).

I asked Google Assistant to take a selfie and it opened the camera on its own, chose the front camera out of 4 (total) cameras (letting me to focus on holding the phone steady enough
Using the voice assistant to trigger a selfie is a great little, simple hack that had never occurred to me. I'm not of the "selfie-generation" so on those rare occasions I take one I end up contorting my finger or thumb to try to hit the shutter button while also trying to keep things in frame. This typically results in subpar photos where I appear to be having an aneurysm.

And the shot of you and your sweet little pup is a nice one, Ovi.

- K

View attachment 366507

I edited the picture in the stock editor and used a few "extra" features, like UnBlur (Neural Net based sharpening) because the shutter speed was 1/8th sec,Magic Eraser (Photoshop like Content Aware Fill), Portrait Light (adaptive extra light source that can improve light mood), Blurr Background (not particularly effective or to my taste so I used only a tiny bit).
A very pleasant edit. Nothing over the top, which I struggle to avoid when editing on the phone.

Got a new modifier last week, a strip box for mainly using on a hair/separation light. Out of a host of willing volunteers I narrowed my subject down to the only person in my house who will sit for me... which is me! C&C welcome, particularly around the use of the separation light... but be nice please.

Z3090607.jpg

Back