Show "Yourself" self-portraits (selfies!)

@CD77
LOOKING GOOD!
Key light upper right; hair light rear left. Subtle rim light, well softened shadows, without hard brightness. Really a fine portrait.
I like your royal blue background. Do you recall info about it? Thanks
Thanks for your comments... need a different model to try it out on now!

Regarding the background... it's actually a fleece/microfibre blanket that I've clamped to a T frame (something like this... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XXZJ...olid=3UMEYDB7TJFL6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). It makes a pretty nice backdrop but could do with being a little bigger for half body and full length portraits.

Got a new modifier last week, a strip box for mainly using on a hair/separation light. Out of a host of willing volunteers I narrowed my subject down to the only person in my house who will sit for me... which is me! C&C welcome, particularly around the use of the separation light... but be nice please.

View attachment 372732
Wonderful portrait. It did remind me that I need to make a self-portrait for a badge at work, no smiling and all of doom and gloom look :p ... anywho, any excuse to bring out the portrait lights (I don't own any backgrounds though) and took a few minutes to set it all up for a headshot (they don't care much about compositions and backgrounds). Had only 3 light sources (6 lightbulbs, 3 on each top side), one LED light set on the left side and one in the front.

OVI09165.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not my best hair day, I had a bit of shadow on the right eye, lightened it up a bit in post, brightened the eyes a little bit, tried not to smile, and smoothened the skin a little bit (-33 Texture).
I haven't gone deleting lose hairs and wild beard wiggles, the picture is not meant to be anything more than a headshot for a badge ... I wouldn't use this on date sites unless I am looking for ex-cons with similar headshots and conjugal visits :p

Wonderful portrait. It did remind me that I need to make a self-portrait for a badge at work, no smiling and all of doom and gloom look :p ... anywho, any excuse to bring out the portrait lights (I don't own any backgrounds though) and took a few minutes to set it all up for a headshot (they don't care much about compositions and backgrounds). Had only 3 light sources (6 lightbulbs, 3 on each top side), one LED light set on the left side and one in the front.

View attachment 372738
Not my best hair day, I had a bit of shadow on the right eye, lightened it up a bit in post, brightened the eyes a little bit, tried not to smile, and smoothened the skin a little bit (-33 Texture).
I haven't gone deleting lose hairs and wild beard wiggles, the picture is not meant to be anything more than a headshot for a badge ... I wouldn't use this on date sites unless I am looking for ex-cons with similar headshots and conjugal visits :p
It's a good effort and much better than what we use at work (which is a webcam which produces awful images). I had to renew my passport last year and took my own photo to save money on a photo booth and have a better photo than they produce, singularly the worst portrait I have ever taken because it has to have flat lighting and an emotionless face. Regarding backgrounds... I have a few proper ones (a plain grey sheet and a plain white sheet, and a pop up black/white one), but actually the one that I like the most is the blue fleece blanket that I used in the image above. A white wall is always a good option as well, and if you have gels, you can make a white wall (or any white/light grey background) any colour you want.

Self portraits using a studio set up are always difficult as you have to set up lights, pose and take the picture all whilst not being able to see yourself... but you are free and wholly co-operative and it is a fun process (especially when you get decent results).

@CD77
THANKS
That’s what I was looking at a short time ago. I like the way yours hangs with no wrinkles. In USA Amazon shows several different sizes and a different style— called Sherpa lined. That style has a white “lamb’s skin” look on the reverse side. This is like getting a white + colored side. 2 for the price of 1.
A king size sherpa blanket— about 225 X 265 cm costs about 35 pounds. Those are based on US sizes and money.

I’m terrible with computers- I hope that works.

@CD77
THANKS
That’s what I was looking at a short time ago. I like the way yours hangs with no wrinkles. In USA Amazon shows several different sizes and a different style— called Sherpa lined. That style has a white “lamb’s skin” look on the reverse side. This is like getting a white + colored side. 2 for the price of 1.
A king size sherpa blanket— about 225 X 265 cm costs about 35 pounds. Those are based on US sizes and money.

I’m terrible with computers- I hope that works.
I've 2 frames... a T frame (which I used in this image) and a cross bar type frame with 2 uprights. The cross bar type is relatively easy to get a wrinkle free if the backdrop material is amenable to it by stretching the material and clamping the corners . The fleece blanket is exceptionally easy to get crease free, which is why I used the T free (which is much easier to set up than the cross bar frame). I've got a few different backgrounds made from different materials and the two that are easy to work with are both ones that weren't bought as dedicated backgrounds, the blue fleece blanket and a white stretchy jersey type fabric, both of which dont crease when rolled/scrumpled up and are easy to hang and stretch into position. Proper photography backgrounds are almost always more expensive than blankets, and you can get different colours and textures which makes blankets a good alternative... they just take up more room!

Back