Show "Yourself" self-portraits (selfies!)

Updated for 2020...

BOS-MOSI-FEB-2020-0063-Edit-LREdit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Within the last year and half, I've been pursuing fitness and nutrition more seriously. I'm not really into the aesthetics, but more for the long term strength and cardio-vascular building. I figure I need to be strong in my 40s, so I can be healthy into my 50s and 60s! I almost see fitness and photography as very similar disciplines in regards to honing both your photographic eye and body. 👍

84966391_2603858016525103_3060332324894801920_n.png

I shared an office with a body builder once (boy, he hated that phrase!). Used to eat lots and at various specific times of the day. Kept going on about "amino" tablets, which I assue is a thing.

I'm aiming for 500 lbs. hopefully within the next month or two. Though I think I need to hit more calories for these heavy lifts!
Back in my youth. We always gauged where we were by adding 10 pounds for every rep we could do at a certain weight. If/when you’re doing this for a set of 5, you should be at your goal. Visualizing yourself lifting 500 pounds over and over also helps.

And yeah, tons of calories will help a lot. As well as getting a lot of good sleep.

I shared an office with a body builder once (boy, he hated that phrase!). Used to eat lots and at various specific times of the day. Kept going on about "amino" tablets, which I assue is a thing.
There was guy who trained with us. This back in the 90s. Who would always place in the top 5-10 in the Mr. Olympia. He ate at specific times of the day like that. And he carried a tackle box full of supplements he had alarms set on his watch for taking.

Back in my youth. We always gauged where we were by adding 10 pounds for every rep we could do at a certain weight. If/when you’re doing this for a set of 5, you should be at your goal. Visualizing yourself lifting 500 pounds over and over also helps.

And yeah, tons of calories will help a lot. As well as getting a lot of good sleep.

There was guy who trained with us. This back in the 90s. Who would always place in the top 5-10 in the Mr. Olympia. He ate at specific times of the day like that. And he carried a tackle box full of supplements he had alarms set on his watch for taking.
All sounds so familiar - my yarn was from the 90s too. The guy's chest was huge, I mean you had to do a double take everytime he found an excuse to take his shirt off, but the challenge/ difficulty of course is maintaining it. Stop the body building and the muscle turns to fat. Then you've got a problem.

I just work out at a commercial gym, but it's gotten to the point where you have your daily regulars. We always talk about techniques, concepts, discussion on foods, etc. You also have different types of fitness people with individual goals. Some want to be strong, aesthetic or working out just to be healthy. It's actually quite interesting and honestly I find the variety similar to how photographers emphasize on certain aspects. Lately most of my insightful discussions are with older lifters who are mainly working out to maintain and pursuing more natural nutrition and foods.

That. And for people like me who were in powerlifting. My knees and shoulders are paying for it now.

I'm all for using whatever wraps, compression sleeves and using my belt to protect my back. I don't care if I look like a mummy! One of my favorite things is using a back roller. I use it daily just to decompress my spine and to iron out the kinks!

All sounds so familiar - my yarn was from the 90s too. The guy's chest was huge, I mean you had to do a double take everytime he found an excuse to take his shirt off, but the challenge/ difficulty of course is maintaining it. Stop the body building and the muscle turns to fat. Then you've got a problem.

I'm actually bordering on my ideal weight for my age, height and build. Lately though I've been inspired by smaller strong men, who've built their bodies on continued repetition and progressive strength. They maintain their normal size and weight, while emphasizing on core building, technique and maximizing one's limits. Half of what interest me about strength building is also eating food and trying different things! :D

Last edited:
Ahh, Photoshop könnte das beheben. ;)
Indeed, but isn't it the signs of wear that make things dear to us (and our physiognomies more interesting)? ;)
Completely off-topic remark: I like this interchange a lot - you never know who knows what (Jim's suddenly appearing mastery of my mothertongue!), and then Walter turned the whole thing into something philosophical ... great to watch, thanks, guys!

M.

Jim's suddenly appearing mastery of my mothertongue!
Hardly. Six months as a US Army private in Ludwigsburg in 1967-68 made me a master of nothing except maybe goldbricking. I picked up a little hanging out with a local DJ, but I still have to consult Google Translate more times than not. Anyway, ich entschuldige mich dafür, dass ich nicht bei dem Thema bleibe.

Back