Micro 4/3 Sigma 30mm

I had one and it was sharp and a pleasure to use. I only sold it because it led a Cinderella existence between my P20 and O45.

I have heard some complain about the slow startup; if that's your problem, get a 14-150 and leave it on :)

Did not take much time to tell. This lens is not for me. :sad010: Explain? Sure.

I am a manual focus kinda guy. After over 50 years of doing this, a computer still cannot tell me, where I'm looking, deep or shallow. And the focus ring on this lens is just unusable. Plastic on plastic, binding, jerking. Too bad. I like the size and focal length. And it is just so cute, on the E-p2
BUT, all is not lost. :) My wife is NOT a manual focus person. In auto focus mode, on the E-p2, this lens focuses accurately and quick enough for our use. And the image it renders is sharp. I have only used it a few minutes, last night and a few today. In the next day or so I'll try to post samples.
Recommended? Yes with reservations. If you are willing to use it only in AF mode, and treat it kindly. It IS plastic.

Silver Top

Caught reading.
Silver_Top.jpg

This was last night with 2 dim 12volt RV lights as our only light (except the TV 10 feet to her left rear). One light was 5ft high and 5ft to her left front. The other was actually around the corner of the overhead cabinet. In other words, very little light. The camera was hand held up against the cabinet for stability. (I shake considerably) Focus had no trouble locking.
There is no PP, except sizing for posting.

Silver_Top2.jpg

This one I did a simple desaturate in PS.

E-p2, Sigma 30mm f2.8, Program mode.

nice.....looks mighty sharp. So you are mainly an manual focus guy Steve? Old school! I enjoy manual focusing on occasion, but I'd say 90% of the time, I prefer for the camera to do it. As long as I am in control of telling the camera "where" to do it.

@christilou: yeah, that's a bit annoying. Since it happens with tech products all the time, I try not to look at prices anymore once I bought anything. I know, easier said than done. :)

@digi2ap: Haven't had much time to use it yet. Just goy it on saturday. It is on my OM-D EM5, so it becomes a 60mm equivalent, a focal length I haven't used much before.

Only thing I can say already: If you want to use it for spontaneous snaps, it might not be ideal because of the ~3-4sec wake-up time it has when switching on the camera (or even when waking the camera from powersave).
Bit unusual, but I guess you get what you pay for :) And optically it seems to be fine.

(One other caveat: the first sample I got wasn't recognized by the camera. Cameraworld swapped it out no problem for a working one, but it wasn't a great "start" with the lens of course.)

Back