Micro 4/3 Showcase SIGMA 56mm F1.4 DC DN

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Wow. This lens truely outdoes its 30mm sibling ... I'm happy enough with the older 60mm f/2.8, but this is a very nice performance re sharpness, transitions and bokeh ... And of course, great shot to show all this.

M.
The older 60mm is one of (if not the) best bargains in the m4/3 world. But I like the f/4 zoom (have the 12-100 and getting the 12-45) + f/1.4-1.8 prime combination. And this is sealed (not as sealed as the 12-100, but...) so that's handy.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
I've owned the f2.8 30mm and 60mm lenses. I got rid of the 30mm fairly quickly after finding it difficult to use that as a standard lens (I like wider), and I hung onto the 60mm for a long time due to how great the images looked coming out of it. But I finally had to admit to myself that I found it very hard to use due to the focal length. I really like the look of images made with this 56mm as well - they're straight up beautiful, but again, the focal length drives me nuts. And yet I now have the 1.4 version of the 30mm. I am a conundrum.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I've owned the f2.8 30mm and 60mm lenses. I got rid of the 30mm fairly quickly after finding it difficult to use that as a standard lens (I like wider), and I hung onto the 60mm for a long time due to how great the images looked coming out of it. But I finally had to admit to myself that I found it very hard to use due to the focal length. I really like the look of images made with this 56mm as well - they're straight up beautiful, but again, the focal length drives me nuts. And yet I now have the 1.4 version of the 30mm. I am a conundrum.
I don't think it's that hard to understand; I had the 30mm f/2.8 and liked it quite a bit, but it still felt somewhat limiting - that's why I got the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 that more or less replaced the 30mm f/2.8. But when the 30mm f/1.4 came along, I had to try it - and it's one of my overall favourite lenses for small mirrorless systems. I actually own two of them: one for :mu43:, one for Sony E (the Sony E "system" consists of only two lenses - I practically bought the A6000 to be able to shoot the Sigma as a 45mm-e ...).

The only downside of the 30mm f/1.4 can be some pretty annoying bokeh fringing - but since it renders beautifully in black and white, you can always resort to converting if you can't get rid of that in post.

M.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
If I ever get back into m43, I know that I will be looking hard at the Sigma primes. I loved the 60mm f/2.8 and can't imagine the 56mm f/1.4 being better, but surely it is.

These are great examples of how well the third party lenses can perform.

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
If I ever get back into m43, I know that I will be looking hard at the Sigma primes. I loved the 60mm f/2.8 and can't imagine the 56mm f/1.4 being better, but surely it is.

These are great examples of how well the third party lenses can perform.
I really like the 56, I have a problem with the 30 and 16.

The 16mm f/1.4 is bigger and heavier than the Oly Pro 17mm f1.2; the 30mm f/1.4 is almost the size of the Oly Pro 25mm f/1.2 and compared to the Pan Leica 25mm f/1.4? I can only assume it's because the Sigmas are also for APS-C. They both seem really nice, but just too big for me. Conversely the 56mm is smaller than the Oly 75mm f/1.8.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom