Micro 4/3 Showcase SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN Art

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
Haven't had this one for a while, but it's a really sharp and cheap option for many.
PC130035.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1230190.jpg

Just trying out my recently acquired replacement lens.
I bought what was apparently the last ever one in the UK a few years ago for £120.
Shortly afterwards, a friend offered to sell me his Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens, as he was converting to the Nikon Z system.
I got it for a good price and then foolishly sold the Sigma.
I noticed a couple came up on eb*y a few weeks ago and although tatty, went for around £90.
A few days later, another popped up in immaculate condition and I was amazed to get it for £60.
So, it's happily back in the fold.

Tulip 'Merlot'
2304-19 EM10:3-S60.jpg

Erythronium, with Anemone De Caen in the background.
2304-20 EM10:3-S60.jpg

I bought what was apparently the last ever one in the UK a few years ago for £120.
Shortly afterwards, a friend offered to sell me his Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens, as he was converting to the Nikon Z system.
I noticed a couple came up on eb*y a few weeks ago and although tatty, went for around £90.
A few days later, another popped up in immaculate condition and I was amazed to get it for £60.

Tulip 'Merlot'
View attachment 380575

Erythronium, with Anemone De Caen in the background.
View attachment 380577
These results speak for themselves, Brian, but I'm curious what you found lacking in the Oly macro lens that led you to reacquiring the Sigma.

- K

Thanks for your interest Keith.
I was pressured into re-purchasing the Sigma, having re-joined Mu-43.com forum and seeing great results from it again. :laugh1:
But seriously, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the Oly, regarding the fiddly focussing system and I have it attached permanently to one of my E-M5 mk2 bodies purely for macro work.

I recalled that the Sigma has super-fast focussing and as I hadn't bought anything new for over six months, I thought I'd earned a treat.
So, the Oly is not really lacking at all, in fact if there's anything lacking it's me and a bit more patience.
I've always regarded myself as a "happy snapper" type of guy and I'm wondering if the Oly is actually wasted on me.

Thanks for your interest Keith.
I was pressured into re-purchasing the Sigma, having re-joined Mu-43.com forum and seeing great results from it again. :laugh1:
But seriously, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the Oly, regarding the fiddly focussing system and I have it attached permanently to one of my E-M5 mk2 bodies purely for macro work.

I recalled that the Sigma has super-fast focussing and as I hadn't bought anything new for over six months, I thought I'd earned a treat.
So, the Oly is not really lacking at all, in fact if there's anything lacking it's me and a bit more patience.
I've always regarded myself as a "happy snapper" type of guy and I'm wondering if the Oly is actually wasted on me.
Thanks for the response, Brian.

Yeah, the O60 can be a bit of a pain to nail focus at times with that distance control. So much so that it's rarely a lens I choose when going out unless I'm certain there are going to be macro opportunities. Even in that case, I often pick up the 4/3 50mm f/2 macro instead because I find it a more versatile focal length. That said, when I do us the O60 (which means macro probably 98% of the time), I do like the results it provides.

Realistically, I should probably sell the thing and both let someone else enjoy it and thin my gear cupboard a bit.

- K

There was a point when these went for $99 new in the US, an incredible bargain.

I've bought and sold this Sigma 60 a couple of times [once when changing from Sony] but this current one is keeper.
It's interesting to compare it to my wife's 80mm Fuji macro which is a comparable focal length.
I'd say the Fuji is a tad ahead in IQ but its about 4 times the size and 5 times more expensive!

GP.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
I do miss this lens sometimes, it's been years since I sold it but it was one of my most used Micro Four Thirds lens 7-8 years ago (the only lens I used more was the 1st gen Pany 14-42mm f 3.5-5.6). I think I paid 130 £ for it, silver version DC DN. Very sharp, very light and very prone to Shutter Shock when I used it with Pany GX7. But it looked so sexy with the silver GX7. Maybe I should look for some old samples (my photography skills were not particularly good back then).

Back