Sony Sigma announced the development of a new firmware for the SIGMA 150-600mm FE lens

Hey @will focus and others with this lens, this should be of tremendous interest!

SIGMA Corporation announces the development of new firmware for the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports with improved image stabilization performance.

By updating the image stabilization algorithm to the newly developed OS2, the image stabilization performance will be improved from approximately 4 stops to approximately 6.5 stops at the wide end and 5.5 stops at the telephoto end. *1
In addition, for Sony E-mount lenses, the AF-C tracking performance has been improved. The firmware is currently in the final development stage and will be released in the near future.
*1 Based on CIPA standard (measured with a 35mm full-frame camera at focal lengths of 150mm and 600mm)

Hey @will focus and others with this lens, this should be of tremendous interest!

SIGMA Corporation announces the development of new firmware for the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports with improved image stabilization performance.

Thanks for the heads up, that will be a big plus! I had considered trading it in for the Sony 200-600 for the Sony IBS compatibility but I keep going back to the size advantage of the Sigma. This may keep me in the Sigma tele-zoom camp for awhile. I love my 24-70 Sigma and the Sony 70-200ii. Both of those lenses are a reasonable size. I just picked up my new Sony 20mm 1.8 yesterday and am on my way out in a few minutes to give it a spin. They are giving free tours today on a ship docked at the Maritime Academy up here and the 20mm should be a nice lens for the below deck stuff. Thanks again!

I recall you thinking about the Sony 200-600 before. I'd still recommend it. It is an amazing lens. Fully sealed, internal focus, sharp as hell, and without question the smoothest zoom ring I've ever used, it's like silk. Even my beloved PL 50-200 pales by comparison. Also love the fact that it racks the entire range with 1/4 turn. Weight is virtually identical. It is a couple inches longer than the Sigma, but that's a small price to pay for the internal zoom.

I do love a good Sigma though. I prefer my Sigma 100-400 over the Sony version for many of the same reasons as you.

Have fun on the boat!

Back