Sigma Announces DP1M (Merrill Compact) and DP2M with 15MPx3 sensor from SD1

Thanks Julien.
Presumably that means the dp1M isn't too far behind. Which is what I'd go for I think.
I'd have to sell the summicron though to afford it ... Bit unlikely :-/

I'm in, the question is when. If I succumb to temptation and mysteriously find myself exchanging cash for an OM-D, the Sigma cameras will be somewhat further in the future. If hesitation and pennypinching hold out, I might have the Sigmas instead. The amount of cash I want to spend to create an acceptable OM-D kit is more than two DPxM cameras.

Hmm. Well an x100 from park is a tad under £700 ... And I'd certainly expect a Foveon to produce more remarkable and very different "image quality" to one of those so I'm pleasantly surprised at the price point

I find the jpeg samples from the Sigma gallery "underwhelming", to say the least, but I suspect the RAW files are much better. I can't find the RAW you mentionned Andrew?

Hmm. Well an x100 from park is a tad under £700 ... And I'd certainly expect a Foveon to produce more remarkable and very different "image quality" to one of those so I'm pleasantly surprised at the price point

IF i got one and loved it's IQ then I may never use the X100! £800 is a lot to just see if it's better. Saying that though I'm looking for a macro lens for my DSLR and they are not exactly cheap so if the Siggy does a great job with macro then it may be worth a punt. Iam impressed with the images from the links above but it would have been nice tohave the same image taken with an X100 to compare.

I'm sure the SD2M will produce fantastic images.

I think it'll be interesting to see more images as it starts to hit the review sites.

The few I've looked at so far don't seem have the unique "Foveon look" (for me it's a combination of the blue-green rendering and overall indescribable "pop") although they are stunningly sharp and detailed. This one comes closest: SIGMA DP2 Merrill - ƒfƒWƒJƒ￾Watch

Hmm I suppose if I sold the Summicron I could replace it with an Ultron 35/1.7 and still have some money to buy a DP1M when it appears ... or should I pay the rent and buy some food? :rolleyes:

I find the jpeg samples from the Sigma gallery "underwhelming", to say the least, but I suspect the RAW files are much better. I can't find the RAW you mentionned Andrew?

Actually, it was a file "processed from RAW". I misspoke. It takes a long time to download as it is full size, but once it loads you can zoom into it. It is the image of the flora along the rocky coast.

Back