Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

I really want a Merrill, but the budget says "NO" for the being, so the DP2S will have to do. It's a nice camera in its own right, but the Merrill seems to be in a league of its own. Still, I was glad I had the lowly S on my hip as I passed these objects, which caught my eye.

SDIM0488-Edit-2-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another from the DP1X:
4.jpg

Broadness Marsh Moorings by Anthony Palmer

My Mexican Dwarf Crayfish "Pinchy".

Shot with my DP2S with off camera flash (Metz 36 C-2 lying on the top glass of the fishtank triggered by Metz 20 C-2 on the camera pointing upwards) and a Raynox DCR-250 closeup filter.
The little guy is surprisingly fast moving and the DP2S isn't exactly fast focusing so I set the minimum focus distance, measured by eye and shot away hoping I'd get a good one.
I think I succeeded :)

View attachment 79678

My DP2 Merrill is on the way - Yay!! -- from Luke. And my DP2S, of blessed memory, is on its way to a new home.

I'm so excited about getting the Merrill. I wanted one before I bought the 2S on a budget, and once I used the Foveon sensor, I knew a Merrill (or two or three) was in my future. Limited, yes, but incomparable within their range, which is where I shoot about 90 percent of what do.

Pictures to follow.

Went for pizza tonite and walked off a bit of it in the 35f weather. Used benches, window sills, trash cans, steps and posts as "tripods" in manual mode, with 2sec delay at iso100 f8 for all but one. The candy store was f2.8, 100iso, 1/25thsec, handheld. Imo this camera is more versatile than reviews make it out to be.

10879561234_651484cfc2_b.jpg
10879438035_ac2c91bfab_b.jpg
10879505646_a9bae4f08f_b.jpg
10879646424_57cab30108_b.jpg
10879672384_e4d597029a_b.jpg
10879704034_dcec9f588a_b.jpg
10879522024_df78d21c43_b.jpg

Sigma Photo Pro and Lightroom

I've tried to like Sigma Photo Pro, but I just can't get there. It was slow enough with the files from the DP2S, and I usually developed the raw files from that camera in Lightroom, but of course you don't have that option with the various Merrills.

On my i3 computer with 8gigs of RAM trying to adjust from the raw files and process them to 16 bit tiffs in SPP is just too damned painful. Instead I check the files I want to keep and batch export them unchanged as 16 bit tiffs (which in itself takes forever, but at least it's then on auto pilot), then import those in Lightroom, where I make the adjustments. As an experiment, I took one file that needed a bit of WB work, and made too tiffs. First I exported it, unchanged and then developed that tiff in Lightroom and saved it, then I made adjustments and exported another 16 bit tiff directly from SPP.

I cannot see any reason not to use Lightroom on high grade tiffs to "develop" my files from this camera. The files look the same to me.

Developed in Sigma Photo Pro and fine tuned in Photoshop
SDIM0112-L.jpg

And an unchanged raw to tiff from spp then developed in Lightroom and adjusted in Photoshop
SDIM0112-2LR-L.jpg

All Photoshop adjustments were identical between the two files.

I put this up in a thread dedicated to the San Jose del El Rosario cemetery, but thought I'd include it here too, as it is a shot taken within an hour of getting the Merrill (Thanks, Luke, for shipping it with a charged battery!)

SDIM0052-Edit-L.jpg

Back