Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

Wow! What is this striped tree?

I have never held a DP in my hands...have always felt it could be almost like using a ground glass view camera... Do they make one with a flip screen yet?;)

Larch family BB. I have a Hoodman loupe . It's good enough to aid composition and check exposure in bright light.

Larch family BB. I have a Hoodman loupe . It's good enough to aid composition and check exposure in bright light.

I am evaluating adding some sort of viewfinder to my Sigmas, I am finding situations where a viewfinder would be useful.
I am also considering to buy the DP3 and I believe a viewfinder would make the camera more effective for taking portraits and in general in situations with low light that can lead to blurred shots.
Would be great if you can share some thoughts and experiences about using a loupe with the Sigmas

Thanks, Garry - re the Larch tree. My naturalist friend wonders if it was originally from Asia - as I described your photo to her. Our Larch trees are different. But wait - what am I thinking we have our resident naturalist, Barrie! Barrie, can you take your head out from under your coat for a minute and scroll back to look at Gary's tree photo?;)

For me, when required, a coat pulled up over my head and draped over the top of the camera. Very old fashioned but then I'm very retro :D. Memo, must get a piece of black cloth, wish list, new knees :laugh1:

Barrie

Barrie. I bought the Hoodman primarily for hand held work. I don't get on shooting at arms length . Being able to brace the camera against my head in the traditional way makes it so much better. It even works great using it on my phone.

I am evaluating adding some sort of viewfinder to my Sigmas, I am finding situations where a viewfinder would be useful.
I am also considering to buy the DP3 and I believe a viewfinder would make the camera more effective for taking portraits and in general in situations with low light that can lead to blurred shots.
Would be great if you can share some thoughts and experiences about using a loupe with the Sigmas

The price of the Hoodman did make my cough a little but I soon forgot about it when I started using it. The optics and diopter adjustment work well. You are not going to see a super hi res image though. Not even that good for manual focus use. I don't bother with that anyway. In my opinion it's a piece of gear worth having. When attached to the DP3 the whole thing looks a bit of a monster, but it works well.
se9e7a8a.jpg

Barrie. I bought the Hoodman primarily for hand held work. I don't get on shooting at arms length . Being able to brace the camera against my head in the traditional way makes it so much better. It even works great using it on my phone.

I've almost always used my Sigma's tripod mounted for landscape work, so I treat them like an old fashioned view camera. I also don't like shooting at arms length (stability, problems focusing my eyes on the screen, visibility of the screen, you name it) so I have Voigtlander ovf's that I could use for spontaneous type photography relying on cropping for the final image and allowing the camera to auto focus, hopefully on the main subject area. However I have yet to use any of them in this fashion. For holding them to use in this manner I have an old flash bracket handle fitted with a quick release shoe.

Barrie

Thanks, Garry - re the Larch tree. My naturalist friend wonders if it was originally from Asia - as I described your photo to her. Our Larch trees are different. But wait - what am I thinking we have our resident naturalist, Barrie! Barrie, can you take your head out from under your coat for a minute and scroll back to look at Gary's tree photo?;)

Once again BB you've asked me to venture into areas of natural history of which I have little or no knowledge, so it matters not if I take my head out from under my coat, my vision will still be clouded and my knowledge found wanting, sorry :confused:

Barrie

Fly

Buzz buzz

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/13773701613/player/" width="1024" height="663" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Vintage

<iframe src="Bodiam Motor" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I enjoy viewing those extremely sharp Foveon images and have been visiting the Fotogenerell blog for some time now. It belongs to a guy who only uses Sigma cameras and lenses. He has a SD1M, DP2M, DP3M and a lot of nice glass. Check out his Flickr sets, he has taken some very impressive images. :)

Back