Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

OK I'm sold

Is it possible to take a duff photo with the merrills ?
where are the weaknesses ? stability? low light? high iso? what? -

OK I'm sold

Is it possible to take a duff photo with the merrills ?

Yes, just like it is with any camera, the photographer still has to put some thought into the procedure

where are the weaknesses ? stability? low light? high iso? what? -

Certainly not a camera for all situations, it's shortcomings have been well aired by various reviewers and commentators, however by taking those considerations into account they are capable of producing very good results.

For me I use the DP1m and DP2M mostly for landscape shots, although I'm pleased with the above close up shots with the DP3M, which to date has been the least used of my Merrills. By far the most used has been the DP1M. Today I only took the DP1M and DP3M with me, and it so happens that the DP3M got the most use, that is however a reflection of the type of subject matter that I was concentrating on.

Barrie

I was recently given some stirling advise by forum members when I was looking for
a 2nd / 3rd camera to back up my small sensor Samsung EX1 for close up and still work.
After much thought I decided against a DP Merrill for the time being, as I often picture watches
and ultra high definition super sharp images of finger marks and dust particles made me veer towards
an older ( Classic :) ) DP2. I managed to pick one up with less than 500 shutter actuations that included
a VF21 viewfinder , Sigma close up lens , Sigma polarizing filter Richard Franiec grip and spare batteries all for half the price of
a Merrill. Someone had given up very quickly on this neglected camera and ' put it to bed '.
When it arrived it could easily have passed for new - not a single mark on it.
Having read what a handful DP's could be, I was pleasantly surprised at the initial results. Some of the image's were eye popping on a 24 " monitor
when the raw files finally settled down. Trouble is that by time Photobucket and forum downsizing takes place they tend to look a lot more diluted.
Only had time to reel off a few so far but hope to give it a bit more exercise in the next month.

First shoot in the garden reveals what looks like a young dark haired girl sitting on a swing reading a book at arms length ( Sigma instruction manual ? ).

View attachment 90323

View attachment 90324

Friendly but shy neighbours cat popped in to say hello but she refused to look into the lens

View attachment 90325

View attachment 90326

I think the garage needs staining

View attachment 90327

View attachment 90328

The view finder didn't show something was growing here - the RAW file saw it !

View attachment 90329

Later that evening an interesting sky whilst the sun was setting and it's strength allowed a 1/ 250 sec hand held shot.

SDIM0804_zps4b3981fe.jpg

I quite like this little machine !

Richard

"Cat" in the window is my favorite. Glad to see you joining the 'family'

Time Distorsion

dp3m1400-39-sur-339_med_hr.jpeg

a couple more images from my hike on the alps, all taken with the DP1M:

DP1M0005.jpg

DP1M0008.jpg

I find the sigma lens better than reported by various reviews, compared to the DP2M it is a bit less supersharp in the corners but for a wideangle it is truly impressive, stopped down to f/4 is already very sharp across most of the frame and by f/5.6 is sharp also in the corners

Dartmoor in mono

13903006038_4e59a527db_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0605-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

The white building in the middle distance is Yellowmeade Farm, a remote location west of Princetown

13903006488_5053303722_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0599-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

13902997310_5b9f9f83db_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0609-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

Two images of the ruins at Foggintor Granite Quarries

14086470922_60c2d6d0da_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0629-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

The 700 foot mast of North Hessary Tor transmitter rises up into the cumulus cloud. The gulley that runs up as a dark streak below it is crossed near the top by a bridge carrying the old railway line that ran from Yelverton to Princetown between 1883 and 1956 whilst further to the left can be seen the outline of a large circle on the hillside, the outer pound wall of a bronze age village containing several hut circles. Man has influenced this landscape for many a long year.

Barrie

Barrie, I "lichen" (had to say that) this one in particular - seeing the carved letters adds to it for me, perhaps because of context which leads me into history and stories? Beautiful details, color and everything one thinks of with a Sigma DP in good hands. By the way, I'm thrilled you've gotten yourself on to Flickr.:drinks:

Back