Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

Had a short walk through Amalfi (Southern Italy) yesterday. The more I use the DP2, the more I love it. All pp (except framing) in Sigma Photo Pro.

SDIM1775a_200.jpg

SDIM1777a_200.jpg

SDIM1778a_200.jpg

SDIM1804a_200.jpg

SDIM1806a_200.jpg

This last one is a crop, and composition really sucks, but I wanted to add it anyway for its color and detail. I do macro photografy with a Nikon D300 and several Nikkor and a Tamron macro lens (yu can see some on my Flickr page), but after having processed this immage I start wondering if I shouldn't get myself an SD1 Merril!

Oh well, don't have the money anyway.

SDIM1807a_200.jpg

Those are some interesting finds on your walk, Lieven.

Last night, the DP2 Merrill passed the "Could you take a picture of us?" test:

7911546132_4d93dbe77a_c.jpg

Click image for more size options on flickr

nice shot you got there! Maybe the guy on viewer's right could benefit from some shadow lifting, but altogether I really like it

Ah yes, it's bothering me as well. I'd have to investigate on how to properly do it. I have neither Photoshop nor the skills to fix it right now. :tongue:

DP2 Merill... very nice

I haven't had many opportunities for serious work (excuses, excuses), but luckily it's still small enough to carry around for snapshots during a night out. I really miss the size of the original DP's though.

Today's capture:

7927103418_b6e5086620_c.jpg

Click for more size options on flickr

I'm stunned by the pictures I'm seeing here, I've heard a lot of complaints about the software, so my question would be: how do you print with the DP cams, do you go through the sigma software? Create TIF files and use other programs or else?

Thanks for your insights.

it's just a digital camera, so once the images are off the card, you can print them like you would any other image, whether you've processed them in SPP or LR or Aperture or whatever, or even if you've shot jpegs in the camera.

Ok I've done a little research and have come across LuLa's review on the DP2M where he explains his workflow:

LuLa said:
What I do with DP2M files is copy them from the memory card to a directory called DP2M RAWS on my working drive. I then run SPP and point it at this directory. When I see a file I want to process I double click on it to load it into the processing module.

Beforehand I also set up Preferences in SPP to save converted raw files to a specific directory on that same drive named Converted DP2M TIFFs. I set the output to 16 bit TIFF in Prophoto RBG. My preferred image processing program is Adobe Lightroom which I similarly preset with a "Watched Folder", which as you might have guessed I name Converted DP2M TIFFs. Then, whenever I press Export in SPP a 16 bit TIFF opens automatically in Lightroom ready for further processing.

As for what I do in SPP, the answer is, as little as possible. I find just about every tool in SPP inferior to those in Lightroom (or Capture One or Aperture for that matter). The only thing that really matters, and that one that one must do in SPP is white balance. I then may do some other minor adjustments, but if the file is properly exposed, I just adjust white balance and then Export the file to Lightroom.

Now, you may ask, when can we expect Adobe to support DP2M files, the way some previous X3 files have been? I can't answer the question directly, but I can tell you that responsibility for making this possible appears to absolutely lie with Sigma.

Full article here: Sigma DP2M Review and his followup on DP1M: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml

Thanks to all for sharing yor pics here, they are mind opening ! Looking forward to see more :)

PS: Sorry I don't have any foveon so no pictures to share, hope I haven't disrupted the picture flow herein.

Back