Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

Christ... I've gone through your flickeflu of your fave shots and they POP.

I essentially shoot B&W but all these shots in this thread make we want to shoot color - hell...

hehe, thanks Kian :)
well I guess both have their own merits. Color can add additional dimensions to an image... or distract. I usually enjoy playing with it and see how far I can push it, but some images naturally lend themselves to B&W.

Thanks for posting the workflow from LuLa. I switched completely to using Lightroom a while ago. But that "watched folder" setup might make me go back to doing the initial conversion in SPP.

cheers,
Tilman

I really love the deer shot! did you do any cropping to it, or is this the full shot? It's just about perfect, if you ask me, and I wouldn't want to see it any tighter! The tree overhead really adds to the atmosphere :) and the silhouetted dear in the background is perfect!

I really love the deer shot! did you do any cropping to it, or is this the full shot? It's just about perfect, if you ask me, and I wouldn't want to see it any tighter! The tree overhead really adds to the atmosphere :) and the silhouetted dear in the background is perfect!

Thank you! :) It's cropped to about 90% original size. There were lots of deer around today and this is the closest I could get to any of them. Lots of missed opportunities... oh well, the DP's weren't designed for wildlife shooting really. :)

Tilman, I just spend awhile viewing the link to your best DP1 and 2 photos in the flickr. They are a treasure. You really know how to take a great photo. I won't give all the credit to the camera. But they also make me want to try one of those Sigmas some day;)

Thanks for sharing!

Sigma DP1 Merrill has arrived

The UPS guy dropped off my DP1 Merrill today. I charged up the batteries and headed off to one of Portland's rose gardens to take it for a short spin. Operation is pretty straightforward. Menus are excellent. Autofocus is just OK, but the manual focus system with magnification is pretty great.

Because Lightroom cannot read the Sigma RAW file right now, workflow requires you to open the file in the Sigma software, make a few basic changes, and then export tiffs that can be imported into Lightroom. Not exactly ideal, but it works. The files contain astonishing detail and, even with the tiff workaround, have unbelievable headroom for adjustment in LR. Here's one shot with a couple of different treatments.:

Sigma Flower B&W Stong.jpg
Sigma Flower B&W.jpg
Sigma Flower Soft.jpg
Sigma Flower Vintage.jpg
Sigma Flower Warm.jpg

I basically agree with you on it being like film, Xuereb. The images have a much more film-like quality than Bayer sensor files do. I'm getting the best of both worlds from this camera; great film-like image quality with the post processing abilities of digital photography.

Here's a few shots of downtown Portland I took this morning. The level of detail when I look at the files zoomed is like nothing I've ever seen.

City View 4.jpg
City View 3.jpg
City View 2.jpg
City View 1.jpg

I'm at the end of week one with the DP1 Merrill and continue to be amazed by the quality of the images it produces.

Attachments

• image-4034228385.jpg
    image-4034228385.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 230
  • image-2224572138.jpg
    image-2224572138.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 229
  • image-438946704.jpg
    image-438946704.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 285
  • image-1790068033.jpg
    image-1790068033.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 258
Some excellent additions to this thread. Thanks for posting these! Pepeye, I can't wait to see more of the DP1 Merrill. As for me, I'm continuing my series of environmental portraits with the DP2 Merrill:

8079813401_b6e131052e_c.jpg

Click image for more size options on flickr

Back