Sigma DP1x for $249 at Amazon

Is the DP1x NON-merrill worth $299?

How slow is it to use, REALLY?

Oh, this is a tough one. The only 28mm I have right now is the RX100. I sold my Panny 14, which I did like to use. Hmmmm...

It's been this price on Amazon for a while. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. It's a 5MP camera which makes it equivalent to a 10MP Bayer sensor. Yes, it has that foveon clarity but you can get super close by just resizing a 10MP image from another camera down to 5MP. Add to that the fact that other than sensor, the DP1x is a pretty bad camera. I think you'd be better off getting the XZ-1 or $100 less.

I don't put much emphasis on megapickles. I've seen a lot of incredible photos from the DP series cameras...... a LOT. If I were OK with the slow functioning and not being able to shoot above ISO400 or 800, I'd buy 2....one for each hand.

the "slow functioning" is also overstated.

Do I remember correctly that you shoot with a DP of some sort? How would you compare the operational slowness to the PEN you use. I think those first 2 PENS were fast enough for most shooting situations I used them in, but I occasionally hear those referred to as slow as well. I wonder if it's just people comparing apples to oranges.

Do I remember correctly that you shoot with a DP of some sort? How would you compare the operational slowness to the PEN you use. I think those first 2 PENS were fast enough for most shooting situations I used them in, but I occasionally hear those referred to as slow as well. I wonder if it's just people comparing apples to oranges.

You do remember correctly, I have a DP2s ... and I think it's definitely a case of Malus vs Citrus ... but I'm also not really sure what "operational speed" is. Does it mean fast to start, small shutter lag, fast autofocus, ease of menus ... the trouble is these things carry different weight for different people. I find I can change ISO, aperture, shutter speed as quickly or quicker with the DP2s as with the E-P2. The thing that is noticeably slow about it is the autofocus in less than good light or on low-contrast scenes. This occasionally annoys me, but only occasionally. I can't think of a single occasion when some aspect of the E-P2 was so "slow" that I either got annoyed or missed a picture, by the way.

So ... one either works within a camera's limitations or one buys something one likes better. This is true of any camera (or knife, car, guitar, television, trousers ... ).

I work within very severe limitations in my E-P2's dynamic range, which means rarely shooting above ISO200. It doesn't make me a fool for using it, or make the E-P2 a bad camera, and nor do the limitations of the DP series. The cameras I use makes no impact on how good or bad or indifferent my pictures look.

Sigma don't market it as a P&S to suit all situations (or say that it's fast), so it's not as though anyone gets taken in by ridiculous claims that can't be supported. If you buy one and expect to shoot small children at speed or ice hockey you'll be sorely disappointed. But you also wouldn't have done your homework before putting own your cash.

Almost tempting, but I know how the story would end.

I sort of feel that way too, but today I was weak. Only thing that kept me from ordering E-PM2 is this deal on the DP1x. So far I haven't ordered either one.

Yes, it has that foveon clarity but you can get super close by just resizing a 10MP image from another camera down to 5MP.

It's true - resize to 5MP and increase clarity slider plus some noise reduction and high radius sharpening, and you get very close to that look. Example: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f41/grd-ii-review-supplement-144/

I still think there's some magic to the Foveon. Especially for black and white.

BTW I bought a DP camera last year from Amazon when it was offered at a similar price and received a Chinese camera - Chinese language camera menus and Chinese manual. Not saying that's the case here at all, since the DP1x is discontinued and the lower price makes sense. But sometimes... if it's too good to be true...

I immediately emailed Amazon about the camera and they immediately overnighted a new one. I'm sure they followed up on that incident to find out what happened.

From what I can tell, the drop to $299 happened ~ 3 days ago.

It's been this price since at least a week ago. That's when I saw it and thought about buying it. Then I reread the DP1x reviews and relived playing with it in my mind. Then I decided against it. If I could get a Merrill for twice as much as this then it would be another story.

I think my sweet spot is a year and a half behind the current stuff. All the cameras are good enough and when you try and find it isn't the goose that lays the golden eggs, you don't get killed on the resale value.

You know, deals like this and currently on other cameras (Panasonic LX5, Canon 5D II) could very well change how we buy some gear. If you can hold out and basically stay a model behind you can get very good gear on the cheap. On the front side there is a feverish desire to pre-order the new, but if you are more patient good deals can be had. Of course, this applies primarily to cameras which to a certain extent can be considered disposable devices, and of course the larger cameras, like the high-end DSLRs, will have longer product lifecycles.

I don't think I'm that patient :(

Back