Sigma Sigma DP2m...Some questions I need answers to.

Andy, isn't it the case for all cameras, as soon as you downsize a whole image to post on the web you lose some of the quality, which is why I think it's something of a lost cause to illustrate how good a certain camera or lens is by posting web sized whole images. The only real way to judge is to be able to see full sized prints or of course crops from a whole image.

Barrie

Yes, this is very true which leads me to think that buying the DP2m would be a total waist. It would only really benefit me when editing the files, the end result would probably look very much the same as a DSLR or decent compact like the RX100. My LX7 surprises me still so when I think about it it's probably hardly much benefit in getting one.

Still can't download the software!?!?! I'm on the English DP2m site. I'll try one of the other but I expect they link to the same page.

Hmm, I've just had the same result Andy, however this site offered me a download

SIGMA Photo Pro | SIGMA SD : Special Contents

I don't know what's different about it, but I got to a download easily, hope this helps.

Barrie

Yep! That worked! Many thanks.

I have played with some of the files and they are pretty damn awesome!!!! When downsized to 2048 pixels the images are still superbly good but there is a lot of detail lost which is to be expected yet the images still look detailed, sharp and different looking to any other file I have seen.

I'm still in 2 minds whether to buy or not. I now understand what the DPm's are all about and to me it's a bit like having a tiny D800 with a fixed 45mm lens with a few limitations like poor ISO performance. Still it's an impressive bit of kit! Watch this space!!

Andy....one just has to realize the the DPm's are speciality cameras, but if you can understand and live with their limitations, they will surprise and inspire.

R

I thought I might have gone in with the Ajax a bit hard but glad you liked it.

What bugs me is that the DPxM cameras seem to be gathering an almost mythical aura around them.

They're small light compact, slightly expensive digital cameras.

They don't need tripods or monopods any more than any other cameras.

Foveon does have a unique look... I don't understand the mythical point here. Even though I own and love mine, it really is in my opinion not a camera for everyone. At iso above 400, issues related to color aberrations and noise start to become a problem. Ymmv, depending on how picky u are, even 400 can be an issue to some people. Jpg engine is the worst of any modern camera I have ever used.

Even the camera that I normally use the most (xp1), is a camera that was not intended for everyone. Last time I saw a mirrorless yearly sales figure, I don't believe that Fuji sales were even in the top 10, let alone the sigma foveon line.

I am with u on the tripod.. I am lucky to even use a monopod for 10% of my shots let alone a tripod.

Cheers
Gary

I thought the magic ingredient in the DP cameras is the foveon sensor? So it's a specialty sensor with a lens attached?

Probably both......it's the lens/sensor combo. However, I justified the price tag by rationalizing that I had spent MORE on a single lens in the past than for a whole camera. They both sit in my kit with different colored straps, so when I grab one, in my mind I am just grabbing that lens, albeit it wide or normal.

R

Probably both......it's the lens/sensor combo. However, I justified the price tag by rationalizing that I had spent MORE on a single lens in the past than for a whole camera. They both sit in my kit with different colored straps, so when I grab one, in my mind I am just grabbing that lens, albeit it wide or normal.

R

This is a really good point about spending more or a similar amount on just one lens for a DSLR. This was another thought that I had, to get say a Nikon D3200 (24MP) and a really nice prime.........But the prime I would want would be something like a £1200 Zeiss Distagon ZF or at worst the new 35mm f1.4 DG HSM Sigma lens at over £700!! SO the DP2m looks a reasonable camera to purchase however the DSLR would be much more versatile and the batteries would last a lot longer etc so where do I go from here. Another thought would be to get an adapter for my X-Pro1 and a decent lens. Too much to think about! :daz: :D

R

That was exactly the point I was making in my "forget about buying a macro lens" thread.

Andy....one just has to realize the the DPm's are speciality cameras, but if you can understand and live with their limitations, they will surprise and inspire.

R

They're just cameras.
All cameras have advantages and limitations.

Took a few shots at work with the DP2m and have just played with the files at home...

0 M G !

Amazing image quality...just fabulous! I have the camera at home on loan so will take some half decent test shots in daylight and see how they do. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. (y)

Managed to borrow from work and test the DP2m today and though I would give a brief account of my thoughts on the camera.

It's very easy to use
Menu is simplicity itself
Nice to use
Feels like a quality product
Pretty easy to get sharp images hand held at ISO100 (the only ISO I used)
A bit too easy to take an image due to shutter button not having enough resistance (I'll get used to it).
Battery life poor but I would think that I'd manage OK with 2 batteries.
Images are MIND BLOWING!!!
Seem to have sharper/less camera shake images at the same shutter speed than my other cameras.
Software is clunky but OK and as others have said....save as Tiff or Jpg then edit.
Files are an absolute joy to edit as there is SO much info there.
Colours are wonderful
Don't need to sharpen most images

I'm Blown away by this camera and feel it can be more usable generally than some people have led us to believe. I love the simplicity and lack of buttons and choices. It does what it says on the tin!! What a great camera.

Here are a few images that I took this morning and have done a quick edit on.

8438471988_2f94a4dd2a_b.png

Colours of nature by andywest1, on Flickr

View attachment 65086
Winter colours by andywest1, on Flickr

View attachment 65087
New Life by andywest1, on Flickr

View attachment 65088
Whyteleafe Tavern Mono by andywest1, on Flickr

8437393479_af7b1b38c2_b.png

Off we go! by andywest1, on Flickr

Back