Sigma Sigma Fp-L has an Interesting New Sensor

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I keep thinking Sigma needs to have a real day in the sun. They're willing to be unconventional, they're a bit mad in pursuit of goals that often make sense only to them, and they work their rear ends off producing enough volume of ever-improving optics that they can remain independent, family-owned. Hats off to Sigma, may they ever keep at it.

The Sigma “FP-L” will cost $ 2,499 – L mount system camera rumors and news

Per Nokishita twitter:
The Sigma “fp L” has been added to overseas retailers for $ 2,499, the “fp L EVF Kit” for $ 2,999, and the “EVF-11” for $ 699.
2132392.jpg

2132393.jpg

Those select few landscape photographers who don't have their heads up the megapixel donkey can probably really put this camera to work.

Assuming this can do all that work "of a real Foveon" in a single exposure.

0.5" 3.7M evf and phase detection af per nokishita_c twitter... Most probably no mech shutter and IBIS...

SIGMA Co., Ltd. (President: Kazuto Yamaki) will hold “SIGMA STAGE ONLINE” to present new products online from 21:00 JST on March 25, 2021 (Thursday).

Date and time: Thursday, March 25, 2021 21:00 JST

April availability...

"The EVF adds a headphone socket (something not offered on the body of the camera). One quirk of its design is that there is no automatic eye sensor: you have to use a button to manually toggle between the LCD and EVF."

"The Sigma fp L we're using is not yet final, but focus certainly seems improved over the original fp model, showing slightly faster and more decisive focusing, especially with smaller AF points (though there is still a little wobble/hunting at times).

The fp L also gains eye-detection autofocus, to help achieve perfect focus when shooting portraits and social photos. Our initial impressions are positive, with the Sigma detecting eyes even when they're small in the frame.

The fp L also has a subject tracking AF system, which works within a 7x7 rectangular grid of focus points. We've not tried it for anything serious yet, but from our limited use so far, it seems to work."

"The sensor reads out very slowly (around 1/10th of a second in stills mode), which means the results are very prone to rolling shutter."

"Overall, the Sigma fp L is a fascinating camera, full of clever ideas, but I can't honestly say I know who or what it's for, yet. I'm hoping this will become clearer as we spend more time shooting with it, but for now, I'm not sure such a slow sensor makes sense in this camera."

Last edited:
That is a bummer. Original 24MP FP has read out speed of 1/30 sec which is somewhat better. Sigma should have used A9 sensor as an upgrade/make FP more usable to photographers... Sony has not sold that sensor to competition yet, but they can with A1 50MP being released...

Oof. That's a pretty big achilles heel.

Dpreview initial review

Last edited:
Back