Sigma Sigma fp. No one saw that coming.

That's what I love about Sigma. They are brave, reckless even, and will release quirky products just to explore niche areas. This looks like it will be very cool, possibly not too expensive, probably with slow AF and rather hard to handle. But some people will make it shine. Personally I'd enjoy using it with an adapter and M-mount lenses.

I'm not sure about the 'possibly cheap' part. It looks to be the basis of a modular platform that, amongst other things, is supposed to be capable of seriously advanced video quality, with the heat sink as the most obvious sign. The smallness, to me, seems more of a happy accident due to this being only the base unit of a modular system.

Still, it has some aspects that really interest me. It looks to be seriously rugged, and the tone and color curve adjustments are super nice for jpeg shooters. The 45mm lens looks interesting too.

I'm surprised it's not a Foveon sensor. Isn't that really their ONLY calling card if we're talking about bodies ?

The haptics look like they may err towards a bar of soap, too.

I hope it's a winner.....Sony could really use some competition.

I don't see why Adobe wouldn't be able to process DNGs from this camera out of the box.
Just being DNG - and thus somewhat compatible out of the box - isn't enough though.

I had the Ricoh GR a few years ago - and its DNG raw files were "compatible" to the Capture One version at the time... But due to lack of proper colour profiles the colours weren't particularly nice and some casts simply weren't correctable.

The Sigma DP cameras also had some red/green vignetting issues, that would have to be specifically profiled and corrected for - regardless of which "container" the files were saved in.

With these new cameras using conventional bayer filter sensors, one can hope that it's going to be fairly straightforward for the raw software developers to create profiles/support... We'll see - fingers crossed :)

Just being DNG - and thus somewhat compatible out of the box - isn't enough though.

I had the Ricoh GR a few years ago - and its DNG raw files were "compatible" to the Capture One version at the time... But due to lack of proper colour profiles the colours weren't particularly nice and some casts simply weren't correctable.

The Sigma DP cameras also had some red/green vignetting issues, that would have to be specifically profiled and corrected for - regardless of which "container" the files were saved in.

With these new cameras using conventional bayer filter sensors, one can hope that it's going to be fairly straightforward for the raw software developers to create profiles/support... We'll see - fingers crossed :)
My experience has been somewhat in the opposite direction, yet with another GR, the III. Without specific camera support in LR6, it still handles the files rather well. Color isn't spot on without some tweaking, but fine detail and grain are handled better than the other converters I've tried so far.

I had to chuckle at the news release -- a "pocketable" full frame camera? Perhaps, so long as you don't put a lens on it.

Especially considering the size & weight of Sigma's "Art" lenses for Sony FF...

If they don't develop a set of small lenses to go with it, the fp will be of much less interest to me (making it much more of a cinema camera - with lots of attachments to bolt on in order to make it usable)

It really seems like it's designed for cinema shooters, not photographers.

I agree. The intention seems to be a no-compromise cinema tool.
The controls on the fp body are in line though with the Sigma DP cameras - which would make these totally usable for stills photography - with some small lenses...
(I actually like the bare bones approach of the DP controls.)

that 45mm lens is pretty compelling as a small lens. And I'm not against large f1.4 lenses.....assuming one of the grips is fairly hearty.

Anyone care to speculate on price?

I'll go with $1,999

Back