W/NW Signs of Fall.

Wow, this leaf must have come in hot.
E19564AE-080F-4A7F-A1A9-8078794C8286.jpeg

The colors are almost at peak in spots inland here in Michigan. These two were taken this morning just west of Grayling on M72. Near the Lakes there is still a lot of green as the relatively warm water of the Great Lakes this time of year tempers the cold night air in the fall. The opposite happens in the spring as it takes quite awhile for the lakes to emerge from their winter deep freeze. It's not unusual to see temperature differences of 20-30 degrees between the lakeshore and inland. It was 34 on my car thermometer when I took these this morning. Ten miles closer to the lake my car was reading 47. Fall has arrived.
tree on 72 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fall on 72 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 341128
I stood in the middle of the road for this shot. Cars go by at 65-70 mph on this road so it was a little like playing frogger to get there and back. The crest of the hill was right behind me so I had to rely on the sound of vehicles approaching as they were below my line of sight.
Errr... isn't somebody on the wrong side of the road there? I presume the yellow lines are there to prevent that... or am I missing something?

(Full disclosure: I got pulled over within 5 minutes of renting a car the last time I was in the US... so my knowledge of the US Highway Code is somewhat suspect!)

Errr... isn't somebody on the wrong side of the road there? I presume the yellow lines are there to prevent that... or am I missing something?

(Full disclosure: I got pulled over within 5 minutes of renting a car the last time I was in the US... so my knowledge of the US Highway Code is somewhat suspect!)
I zoomed in to view more closely. While the truck(lorry) seems to be on the wrong side of the road he’s not. All vehicles are on the right, and correct, side.

I zoomed in to view more closely. While the truck(lorry) seems to be on the wrong side of the road he’s not. All vehicles are on the right, and correct, side.

yeah, it's like an optical illusion from that distance. The rear bumper is clearly visible
Indeed... thanks both. Once I got the optical illusion in my head (viewing on my small-screen tablet) I couldn't un-see it.

The picture probably doesn't portray the proper perspective. I am standing on top of a rather large hill, or incline. The traffic coming toward me is in the process of transitioning from a single lane coming in my direction to two lanes. It gives slower drivers an opportunity to drive to their right while faster drivers pass them in the left lane, adjacent to that yellow stripe. Trucks that labor up hills would really back traffic up if passing lanes weren't available sporadically. Similarly, the traffic driving away from me, headed downhill, merges back into one lane. Their two lane passing options are at my back, which added a little excitement to standing in the middle of the road. In the image I'm actually standing in the middle of four lanes, not the three that the image shows. Have I cleared things up or made it worse?

Haha, Colin. They drive on the wrong side of the road there ... :rofl: .

Back