Nature Signs of winter

At least in some parts of the northern hemisphere, the "signs of fall" thread is becoming past tense. So I thought I would initiate its follow-on thread, Signs of Winter.

To get things going, a few from yesterday here in western Canada… some pretty good signs of winter as I tested out the Pentax' below zero capability. At -14C it did fine for 2 hours; my fingers, not so much….

And if November 7 is far too early for Signs of Winter, don't worry, it will come to most of us!

Arc of ice crystals
CM_SK_7-2.jpg

2 ducks and the mist
CM_SK_7-3.jpg

Berry bokeh

Beautiful...

It is not here yet but close, knocking the door... I have couple from last year Nov when I was in BC for work, 3hr away from closest town:

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

At least in some parts of the northern hemisphere, the "signs of fall" thread is becoming past tense. So I thought I would initiate its follow-on thread, Signs of Winter.

To get things going, a few from yesterday here in western Canada… some pretty good signs of winter as I tested out the Pentax' below zero capability. At -14C it did fine for 2 hours; my fingers, not so much….

And if November 7 is far too early for Signs of Winter, don't worry, it will come to most of us!

Arc of ice crystals
CM_SK_7-2.jpg

2 ducks and the mist
CM_SK_7-3.jpg

Berry bokeh

Absolutely stunning. I envy you lot with your northern winter. I live in a temperate climate so although we get a couple of weeks of cold, its not really *that* cold... and snow is unheard of where I live, I'd have to travel 4-5 hours... and hope that there had actually been a snowfall. So for me, at least, seeing beautiful shots like these is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

I was greeted by this view out our front window today. I remembered I left the gas in the snowblower and brought it into the shop. They'll have it ready for me on Dec. 17 (!) I said, "that's fine......we probably won't have any snow until then". The woman behind the counter looked at me and then looked out the window again to confirm that I was crazy and that it was indeed snowing outside.
View attachment 80162
winter is coming.... by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Thanks Luke for sending it to this direction. There is no snow here yet but it is snowing west of us, probably at higher elevations...

A stunning series indeed. I love winter....at other places. ;-) But it's better than the rain we're having here.

As my old boss used to say, "You don't have to shovel rain." Although as the storm of the last few days as I write (Somehow I missed this thread in November) show, all weather has its dangers in extremes.

CM_SK - beautiful pictures and thanks so much for starting this thread! Those of us who live in the northern climes must enjoy our cold and snow!:D

What I really like about these broad threads - yet with a theme - is seeing how we each have such different points of view. I know, that sounds pretty obvious.:redface:

Steve, I'm particularly taken with your icy grid!

Back