SiJ 17: outtakes - unofficial thread

Name
Matt
After contacting Bill, I decided to start an "unofficial" (as in: Bill doesn't have to bother with it) thread where we can deposit our outtakes (should there be any, of course - no obligation at all!).

My own outtakes from days 1 and 2:

Day 1 - in colour:
full.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 1 - in monochrome:
full.jpg

Day 2:
full.jpg

M.

@tonyturley If you could bear the cold, no problem: It's a private road, but open for pedestrians and cyclists. I've done that ride a couple of times already even though it's some distance from where I live - it's always worth it; the view's only half of it, it's also nice and quiet, only a couple of minutes (by bike) away from the city. Today, however, the cold had teeth ... I actually went back a lot earlier than usual, didn't finish the round - much too unpleasant.

M.

@tonyturley If you could bear the cold, no problem: It's a private road, but open for pedestrians and cyclists. I've done that ride a couple of times already even though it's some distance from where I live - it's always worth it; the view's only half of it, it's also nice and quiet, only a couple of minutes (by bike) away from the city. Today, however, the cold had teeth ... I actually went back a lot earlier than usual, didn't finish the usual round - much too unpleasant.

M.
Matt, I've hiked in temps around 0F (-32C), and had no problem, but ski pants on a bike would be cumbersome. I don't like getting cold, either, so I always wear multiple thin layers. Haven't had any problems yet. As long as nothing happens to cause me to cancel, I'm planning on a 20+ mile (32km) ride along a river trail this weekend.

Matt, I've hiked in temps around 0F (-32C), and had no problem, but ski pants on a bike would be cumbersome. I don't like getting cold, either, so I always wear multiple thin layers. Haven't had any problems yet. As long as nothing happens to cause me to cancel, I'm planning on a 20+ mile (32km) ride along a river trail this weekend.
I used to hike a lot in similar temps, above the arctic circle, through the alps and Himalayas but I'm slowly becoming an old wimp. My aging bones can't have it warm enough these days and I really should start thinking about selling all that fancy hiking gear.

You know, you're right. I've become soft. When I was younger, I would cycle all through the winter - regardless of conditions. It was my way of getting to school, evey day, for seven years. Seven kilometers, too - one way, and sometimes I went home for lunch. I miss that youthful bloody-mindedness, but then, it was actually a necessity ... It's not as if it was meant to be fun. But it was.

Well, no use complaining. As soon as I can stand the temperature again, I'll pull out one of my bikes again (yes, I'm a cyclist - time to remember that :)).

M.

You know, you're right. I've become soft. When I was younger, I would cycle all through the winter - regardless of conditions. It was my way of getting to school, evey day, for seven years. Seven kilometers, too - one way, and sometimes I went home for lunch. I miss that youthful bloody-mindedness, but then, it was actually a necessity ... It's not as if it was meant to be fun. But it was.

Well, no use complaining. As soon as I can stand the temperature again, I'll pull out one of my bikes again (yes, I'm a cyclist - time to remember that :)).

M.
I understand the sentiment. For a long time, I let myself grow sedentary and gained a lot of weight. One day some years ago, I just said "Enough!". I started hiking again after a long dormant period. Those first few hikes were just a couple of miles or so, and they wore me out, but I loved it. I kept at it, and they got longer and longer. Years later, I'm working hard to lose the last of my extra weight, but in 2016 I did several hikes and bike rides that were 15 - 16 miles, with another planned for this weekend. I'll be 58 in a couple of months, and I'm in far better shape than I was at 40. My wife and I had lunch this week with a couple of friends our age who are facing some very serious health issues. I came away with a whole new appreciation of where I am in life.

Sorry folks, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Today was really quite interesting; I went to a couple of places and shot whereever I went; this led to a variety of images. I only present a few here:

Day 4 - while taking a shortcut through the graveyard:
full.jpg

Day 4 - while waiting for the bus (a hip shot - at 1/6 of a second ...):
full.jpg

M.

Back