SiJ 2017 - Day 25.

Matt, what's that 35mm F2 D like? From what I'm seeing on Flickr, whilst the G series lenses may be technically better, that D series lens appears to have a lovely unique film like rendering, I'm actually wondering whether to get that over the modern version. Or could I achieve exactly the same results in PP with the modern version?
Ray: The D is okay, but the G ED is a truely great lens! Yes, the G ED renders a more modern image, but it's a strong performer on all counts (except maybe vignetting - it's a bit much for my taste, but easily corrected in post). As for the D, well, if you can get it used for little money, there's nothing major to say against it, but it's really not as capable of uniform sharpness and high contrast as the G - and the latter does focus silently and reliably, too. But that doesn't answer your key question; I'll check on bokeh and get back to you (with example shots) - I have to do it that way simply because I've actually never shot the D on the D750 since I have other 35mm options (the Sigma Art as well as the G ED) that are fantastic performers. Actually, I think I'll include the Sigma in the comparison - should be interesting. I definitely like the versatility and size of the D lens, and for film, it's plenty sharp enough with, yes, very pleasing rendering. But again, I need to compare it directly to the G ED to be exact. As soon as SiJ is over ... until then, the D750 is out of bounds :)

M.

Ray: The D is okay, but the G ED is a truely great lens! Yes, the G ED renders a more modern image, but it's a strong performer on all counts (except maybe vignetting - it's a bit much for my taste, but easily corrected in post). As for the D, well, if you can get it used for little money, there's nothing major to say against it, but it's really not as capable of uniform sharpness and high contrast as the G - and the latter does focus silently and reliably, too. But that doesn't answer your key question; I'll check on bokeh and get back to you (with example shots) - I have to do it that way simply because I've actually never shot the D on the D750 since I have other 35mm options (the Sigma Art as well as the G ED) that are fantastic performers. Actually, I think I'll include the Sigma in the comparison - should be interesting. I definitely like the versatility and size of the D lens, and for film, it's plenty sharp enough with, yes, very pleasing rendering. But again, I need to compare it directly to the G ED to be exact. As soon as SiJ is over ... until then, the D750 is out of bounds :)

M.
Thanks Matt, genuinely interested in that.

M.
Just a side note on this thread to the conversation I was having with Matt - I got the 35mm F2 D. I really like the way it renders! This is not a "D" vs "G" thing, I plan on getting the 85mm F1.8G and the 20mm F1.8 which I already have is just brilliant, but I think I'm happy enough with the "D" variant of the 35mm not to bother with the "G". ta

Back