SiJ 2017 - Day 27.

I've had this love/hate relationship with Fuji cameras. More than anything else, they need to work better with Adobe so the RAW files are easier to handle. I've had a good month with the X-T10 and have pre-ordered the X-T20 but it's funny that the best software is sold by this one man operation (Iridient) that barely has a Windows product out the door. It just adds another layer of cost and trouble to the workflow.

I've had this love/hate relationship with Fuji cameras. More than anything else, they need to work better with Adobe so the RAW files are easier to handle. I've had a good month with the X-T10 and have pre-ordered the X-T20 but it's funny that the best software is sold by this one man operation (Iridient) that barely has a Windows product out the door. It just adds another layer of cost and trouble to the workflow.
You're not wrong. For me, no Iridient Developer, no Fuji.

As much as I like the looks, feel and handling of the X-Pro1, it's even fast enough for most of my stuff, I can't be bothered to deal with that X-Trans sensor (and the 18mm Fujinon) any longer. It's not even about the shortcomings of Lightroom, but the extra workload (I don't shoot jpgs) and the relative lack of depth and/or pop of the Fuji files, no matter which lens or RAW converter I'm using (LR 4.7, LR 5.4, PhotoNinja, rawtherapee, Iridient (Win beta). I ran a good number of comparative shootouts against Bayer based cameras, most of the time with the same lens (Zeiss/Nikon/Oly), the differences are obvious and for me it's bye bye X-trans, on with Sony FF and APS-C and after a looong hiatus back to Nikon/Hasselblad for film - finally :). I won't like to see the Fujis go but the SiJ added the last nail to a long row.

Edit: Just personal preferences - nothing against Fuji whatsoever.

Last edited:

You're not wrong. For me, no Iridient Developer, no Fuji.

Reminds me of the days when the best scanner software was run by a one-man operation, funny I can't remember it anymore, but it beat the pants off whatever came with the Nikon Coolscans.

I was blissfully operating in JPG only since getting the XE-1, and having seen Iridient, I'm back in RAW land again. Plus ça change... :cool:

As much as I like the looks, feel and handling of the X-Pro1, it's even fast enough for most of my stuff, I can't be bothered to deal with that X-Trans sensor (and the 18mm Fujinon) any longer. It's not even about the shortcomings of Lightroom, but the extra workload (I don't shoot jpgs) and the relative lack of depth and/or pop of the Fuji files, no matter which lens or RAW converter I'm using (LR 4.7, LR 5.4, PhotoNinja, rawtherapee, Iridient (Win beta). I ran a good number of comparative shootouts against Bayer based cameras, most of the time with the same lens (Zeiss/Nikon/Oly), the differences are obvious and for me it's bye bye X-trans, on with Sony FF and APS-C and after a looong hiatus back to Nikon/Hasselblad for film - finally :). I won't like to see the Fujis go but the SiJ added the last nail to a long row.

Edit: Just personal preferences - nothing against Fuji whatsoever.
A lot of what we do here is personal preference. Check out Olympus vs Panasonic threads over on the mu43 forum. Fuji is a pretty obvious case because the X trans sensor gives images a certain look which you either like or don't. Did I mention my mu43 stuff is going nowhere? :p I might have tried the x100f but the focal length is not my favorite.

Last edited:
WOODSHOLE-2017-062-Edit.jpg

Back