SiJ 2017 - Day 3.

i took a few shots the first day, but haven't had time to review them. Waking up on day 2 and enjoying the photos so far. I have 3 day long drives to get back home....hopefully I don't stick you all with 3 shots out my car window.

I was afraid that I would regret my camera choice. The EM1 and I never bonded much, I always preferred the smaller cameras (EM5, PenF). But the 25 1.2 is a heavy lens, and seems to be made with the EM1 in mind. The combo feels great, and I'm confident that I'll appreciate my choice of gear this year.

I was afraid that I would regret my camera choice. The EM1 and I never bonded much, I always preferred the smaller cameras (EM5, PenF). But the 25 1.2 is a heavy lens, and seems to be made with the EM1 in mind. The combo feels great, and I'm confident that I'll appreciate my choice of gear this year.
Same here - I was afraid of the limitations the S95 offers, and indeed they show; framing with the screen is difficult, espeically in bright light - and due to the diminuitive size, it's not that easy to frame accurately anyway. But the sensor surprises me with nice, saturated colours as well as smooth transitions - quite impressive, in fact. Of course, the small size makes it a non-issue to carry the camera just about everywhere. And it's actually quite efficient and nice to use because it can be customised extensively, which I did. Still, the prove of the pudding's in the eating - I'll attempt a low-light shoot tomorrow (Day 3, that is). The results will land in this thread - in more than a day's time ...

But the most important thing is that we get so many inspiring and unique images to look at :)

M.

I'm not regretting my choice but I think that the Leica M is not an every day camera for me. I think it's forte is considered, relaxed photos of everyday life. I think my go to camera will still end up being the A7RII, it's just so much easier to focus, even with a manual lens.

Shooting Jpegs with the Ricoh GR ... it's almost cheating! So compact and light, it can travel anywhere with me. Even if I'm not sure what "we are" aiming for, it always find the picture. My biggest challenge with the SiJ challenge isn't the camera, it's motivating myself to go out, whatever the weather, and simply click the button. Between you and me, at times I can be a bit of a lazy butt face!

Shooting Jpegs with the Ricoh GR ... it's almost cheating! So compact and light, it can travel anywhere with me. Even if I'm not sure what "we are" aiming for, it always find the picture. My biggest challenge with the SiJ challenge isn't the camera, it's motivating myself to go out, whatever the weather, and simply click the button. Between you and me, at times I can be a bit of a lazy butt face!
Two years ago I used a Nikon Coolpix A for SIJ. It was very well matched for that challenge in terms of ease of use and carry, but i do prefer a slightly long focal length.

Whilst I did take this for SIJ, I was only at the beach at 5.20am this morning because I couldn't sleep the night before. Oh well, I thought to myself, if it gets to 4.30am and I'm still awake, I can drive to the beach and picture the sun rising or sun breaking through the clouds, eh? Sure enough, the insomnia ensued and I drove down to the beach, not only with my S95, but current FF setup as well so as to capture every detail possible. Alas, the clouds blocked the rising sun in every conceivable way. That's the wonder of landscape photography I hear people say, but this morning, it was just a pain in the rear.

IMG_0235 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I'm not regretting my choice but I think that the Leica M is not an every day camera for me. I think it's forte is considered, relaxed photos of everyday life. I think my go to camera will still end up being the A7RII, it's just so much easier to focus, even with a manual lens.
I agree, the Leica M are not the best everyday kind of camera. I too used the Coolpix A for the last SIJ and found it so much easier to always have at hand. May end up switching after my first business trip. Already packed to leave at 4:30a.

Like @Briar I'm really glad I opted for the GR-II. Only been with me a week or so, but having to shoot it everyday is really bringing back the muscle memory and reminds me why a high percentage of the favourite images on my HDD are from predecessors of this camera.
...and let's not forget it was the first ever avatar (that I remember) when Serious Compacts was launched all those years ago...will need @Amin Sabet to verify my claim of course.

Back