SiJ 2017 - Day 3.

Same here - I was afraid of the limitations the S95 offers, and indeed they show; framing with the screen is difficult, espeically in bright light - and due to the diminuitive size, it's not that easy to frame accurately anyway. But the sensor surprises me with nice, saturated colours as well as smooth transitions - quite impressive, in fact. Of course, the small size makes it a non-issue to carry the camera just about everywhere. And it's actually quite efficient and nice to use because it can be customised extensively, which I did. Still, the prove of the pudding's in the eating - I'll attempt a low-light shoot tomorrow (Day 3, that is). The results will land in this thread - in more than a day's time ...

But the most important thing is that we get so many inspiring and unique images to look at :)

M.

Stop worrying and just get stuck in mate... I live in one of the most sun drenched, brightest, desert shitholes on earth and have no qualms using an LCD for composition... I could count on one hand the amount of times I've used the EVF on my EM1 and even then it's usually been at night when I've wanted to do more covert street shooting... :ninja:

I've just started a project 365 with my TG-870 and IMHO there's no better way to test the limits of the camera and yourself that using one camera or one lens... (y)

Stop worrying and just get stuck in mate... I live in one of the most sun drenched, brightest, desert shitholes on earth and have no qualms using an LCD for composition... I could count on one hand the amount of times I've used the EVF on my EM1 and even then it's usually been at night when I've wanted to do more covert street shooting... :ninja:

I've just started a project 365 with my TG-870 and IMHO there's no better way to test the limits of the camera and yourself that using one camera or one lens... (y)
There is a wide range of how how folks use the LCD and EVF. I use the LCD more than the EVF because I've gotten used to being able to choose shooting angles that are not conducive to the EVF. Of course, I only use the LCD/EVF for composition. If focus is an issue it's the EVF. That's why the Mirrorless vs. DSLR makes little sense to me these days.

There is a wide range of how how folks use the LCD and EVF. I use the LCD more than the EVF because I've gotten used to being able to choose shooting angles that are not conducive to the EVF. Of course, I only use the LCD/EVF for composition. If focus is an issue it's the EVF. That's why the Mirrorless vs. DSLR makes little sense to me these days.

I just don't get the whole "I can't use the LCD in bright sunlight" whinge because frankly, it's bullshit!

The Red-Eye departs. X-E1 + Rokkor 24mm/2.8.

Day3.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With all the recent rain, temperatures just above freezing, no sunshine to speak of in weeks and everyone around me coughing and sneezing like mad this sounds like paradise to me :LOL:

Careful what you wish for mate, the 45'c + temps, 1000's of flys and 85% minimum humidity gets old pretty quick...

I just don't get the whole "I can't use the LCD in bright sunlight" whinge because frankly, it's bullshit!
There is a variation in people's eyesight. I am more tempted to use the EVF if I have forgotten my reading glasses. I think many have become used to composing on LCDs even in broad daylight because of cell phones. People can adapt to almost anything. IS has also helped so there is less need to really brace the camera.

hmm I wouldn't dismiss the argument quite so quickly. There are definitely some LCDs that are quite frankly useless in any amount of sunshine. They're getting better but even my E-M10, which was not an old camera by any means, was hard to read in bright light, and I had to use the EVF quite regularly. The RX100 is fine if you crank it up to "sunny weather" setting all the time but otherwise unimpressive.

Forgot this was happening until I checked in today so I've missed a couple of days already. I've also changed camera - going with the RX100 now. Here's the first - the recently completed Maybank performing arts centre in Taguig, taken tonight.

DSC03631.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I regret big time my choice of iPhone 6, but gonna stick with it. I didn't thought enough that I'll shoot most of the pics in dark or in artificial light. Eh, man got to do what man got to do :D

And I'm sticking to square format as well!
Have you tried Cortex? That can be quite a lot better than the standard app in low light.

Back