SiJ 2017 - Day 31.

Last hurrah... finally made it down to the harbour and the beach. I liked this harbour shot best for today's submission. Sadly, using f/16 on the LX100 means I now see that I too have dust on my sensor. Damn. Cropped out and I'm not going to fret too much, Photoshop Fix on iPad will see to it - when necessary.

IMG_0303.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yup. Been there, had it cleaned, got a message that first time sensor cleaning was done as a courtesy, but officially it fell outside the warranty because it was not a weather proofed camera and this thing should be protected from the elements and dust. Next time I'd have to pay for it, and I should preferably carry the camera in a case. Which I now do, in the ridiculously large leather never ready thing Panasonic created for it, and which totally negates the advantages of a pocket sized camera. I still like the camera, but seem to prefer to carry the Pen F with 17 nowadays.

Yup. Been there, had it cleaned, got a message that first time sensor cleaning was done as a courtesy, but officially it fell outside the warranty because it was not a weather proofed camera and this thing should be protected from the elements and dust. Next time I'd have to pay for it, and I should preferably carry the camera in a case. Which I now do, in the ridiculously large leather never ready thing Panasonic created for it, and which totally negates the advantages of a pocket sized camera. I still like the camera, but seem to prefer to carry the Pen F with 17 nowadays.

I'm going to be looking for a mirrorless something ILC. I find that although I still really like my Pentax gear, I just can't hold it for long without getting pain in my wrists so I need to sell it all. Bummer, really, its good stuff. I'm even having trouble with the Panny FZ1000, which is as large as my K5, but a bit lighter.

I'm going to be looking for a mirrorless something ILC. I find that although I still really like my Pentax gear, I just can't hold it for long without getting pain in my wrists so I need to sell it all. Bummer, really, its good stuff. I'm even having trouble with the Panny FZ1000, which is as large as my K5, but a bit lighter.
Mu43 has many small ILCs. The Pen F, the GX85, EM5II, etc. are all pretty small compared to the the DSLRs. Fuji XT10/20 is also pretty small.

As promised: day 31 is a collage of the previous 30 photographs.

32618083595_1df4665ee1_b.jpg

thirty days of gas
by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

A bit of a background on this project: I am fascinated with human influence on landscapes. I know a filling station is probably not the most attractive subject for most people. My thesis was that the repetition of such a subject could add meaning, and even change your perspective on the single images. If I've proven that is up to the viewer.

And of course, these months once started to cure us from GAS. ;)

The end product will probably be a book. You can find a PDF version (it's big: ca. 60 MB) in my OneDrive.

Last edited:
As promised: day 31 is a collage of the previous 30 photogra

View attachment 123400
thirty days of gas by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

The end product will probably be a book. You can find a PDF version (it's big: ca. 60 MB) in my OneDrive.
I enjoyed following your project over the month Marlof, well done

It was only the painful experience of going through it last year that made it easier this year, as with almost everything, preparation was the key. As you go past them, you don't think people actually live in these dwellings. But they do. Probably the last time I'm going to use the S95, notice that the sensor now has a mark on it after major usage which you can see around the middle of the image. Well done everyone.

IMG_0487 copy.jpg

View attachment 123400
thirty days of gas by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

A bit of a background on this project: I am fascinated with human influence on landscapes. I know a filling station is probably not the most attractive subject for most people. My thesis was that the repetition of such a subject could add meaning, and even change your perspective on the single images. If I've proven that is up to the viewer.

And of course, these months once started to cure us from GAS. ;)

Very well done, Marlof - and giving meaning to everyday observations is something we should do more often. At the beginning, I failed to see the appeal and purpose of it, but your images were impressive, and very soon, they really started to grow on me. It's well worth carrying the project through!

As for the purpose of curing GAS, the SiJ certainly failed to do this for me this year - quite the contrary, in fact ;) The S95 is still nice camera, but technically, it's too limited for my taste. The size is unbeatable, though. So, if (and only if) I feel the need to pull it out in earnest next time, I'll actually replace it - with its newest descendant, the G9 X II. I'll write a bit more about it in the "musings" thread.

M.

XPRO2004-LR-1k4.jpg

I just left the house to pick up some groceries and there IT was, couldn't have asked for a better subject to wrap it all up :D (I changed the number though).

This has been my first SiJ and even though I would have preferred a different place to shoot I really enjoyed the experience.
Hats off to all of you who conquered their demons and pulled through and thanks for the company and feedback - much appreciated!

Last edited:
One more from the X-E1 + Rokkor 24mm/2.8. For this final day of January 2017, I share the camera I will be using in our next photo challenge, beginning tomorrow on sister site ForeverFilm. I call it FiF - Film in February - although the name isn't official. In this image, the Pentax MX is sporting my mint condition Tokina 17mm/3.5, which I received just yesterday. A few test images have shown this lens to be as nice as I hoped, although I plan to use it mostly with my X-T1. For the film challenge, I will mostly use a Pentax-M 40mm/2.8. It has been a fun ride with you folks, and there have been many top notch images shared over the last 31 days. 'Till next time.

JAN31.JPG

Well here we are at the end of the month. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable exercise although I am now devoid of inspiration. I've learned that I really like the RX100. In fact I'm considering trading up to a MkIII or IV and ditching the LX100. But I promised myself I would give the LX100 another go at the end of SiJ so that's my plan for the next couple of weeks.
Anyway, I've seen quite a lot of this over the last few weeks so I thought I would share it with you all!

DSC00207.jpeg

For the last day, I figured I'd do a "camy" (camera selfie); but it turned out to be rather difficult to do in a normal mirror, and additionally, it would have been very dull and technically pretty weak. So I decided to use a textured, yet reflective surface instead; S95, 28mm-e:
full.jpg

I found the whole SiJ very inspiring - with a supportive crowd and lots of insightful encouragement. But most of all, I did enjoy the images I was sure to find ready for browsing whenever I sat down in front of the computer. Whatever you do next, folks, keep shooting and sharing - I miss your daily shots already.

M.

One more from the X-E1 + Rokkor 24mm/2.8. For this final day of January 2017, I share the camera I will be using in our next photo challenge, beginning tomorrow on sister site ForeverFilm. I call it FiF - Film in February - although the name isn't official. In this image, the Pentax MX is sporting my mint condition Tokina 17mm/3.5, which I received just yesterday. A few test images have shown this lens to be as nice as I hoped, although I plan to use it mostly with my X-T1. For the film challenge, I will mostly use a Pentax-M 40mm/2.8. It has been a fun ride with you folks, and there have been many top notch images shared over the last 31 days. 'Till next time.

View attachment 123428
I had this combination for many years. I may still have the 40 tucked away somewhere. It may explain my attraction to the Panasonic 20 1.7 and the Fuji XF27 2.8, both of which have the 40 mm equiv. focal length and small cameras like the Pen F and X-T10.

This challenge is sooooooooooooooo much easier with a box of Doctor Who toys but I've got to say I've still had fun this year (well, brief moments). I'm not sure I've stuck to my Blake Crouch Dark Matter inspired theme but I kept the processing style pretty much the same to keep the flavour. Either I've been a bit lazy at times OR my imagination has been stuck in a different dimension from my camera on some of the days. Evidence = selfies! I apologise for the four selfies, these were the really lazy days. Some really not flattering at all. I'm beyond amazed that the height of my laziness in seeking an alternative photo exceeded that of my own self respect! It's fine though, you don't know me!

:hiding:

SIJ2017 Day31.jpg

Final image is another photo taken out of yet another hotel room in Boston. Overall it has been fun, even with four business trips to Boston to start the year. I would do it again next year but not with the Leica Mono. Overall it is too heavy, and too slow for this type project. But, I felt that going through this month has facilitated a bit more learning how to see in the B&W mode.
Next time it will be the Coolpix A or Olympus EM-1.
Much lighter and able to grab images without much forethought.
I really have enjoyed seeing your daily images. The most fun I have had on SC in a long time. Thanks for sharing to all who fully or partly contributed. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back