SiJ 2017 Day 7.

It's really fun, but I'm also gaining some insights into what I really want or need from a digital camera. The S95 *is* limiting in spite of all its merits; it encourages certain types of images while sometimes making it difficult (or even impossible) to technically get the shot I want or at least would expect to be able to take. Yes, the photographer is infinitely more important than the camera, but you need the right tool to fulfil your vision. A 16Mpix :mu43: sensor might not be the best solution on the market, but it opens up a range of additional opportunities - I hadn't been aware of how big the gap actually was.

Today, I was in a world of high contrast, yet lots of fine tonal hues and transitions - drudging through the forest an hour or so before sunset. There were lots of tones in the dark areas and lots of tones in the bright ones. The S95 would have me choose: Either (totally) blow out the skies or let the trees/bushes in the foreground run black. I chose the latter, but with some reluctance - what's in the images doesn't convey what I saw at all. They may still turn out nice (look in the Day 6 thread later on - I may use one of them), but only I will know what it was like. Perhaps that's a good thing, but it's also a pity.

But there's another side to this: If you use whatever's at hand (like you have to do if you shoot film - something I love to do), you have to school your eye to catch feasible opportunities - or experiment. That can really boost your creativity. If everything works, it's sort of trivial if something works ...

M.

Last edited:
Zero sleep last night. Ouch.

Early agapanthus, LX100 and edited in ACDSee Pro on iPad.

P1000354.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've still got memories of how hard last year's SIJ was, especially in the last week but so far, it's better than last years, it feels like there's more active participants this time but it will get harder, in fact after 7 days it is harder, but it's good to see everyone up for it still.

I hadn't been aware of how big the gap actually was.

Oh I was completely aware, that's why I needed you on board!

Back