SiJ 2018 - Day Twenty One.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
“My job as a portrait photographer is to seduce, amuse and entertain.”
Henri Cartier-Bresson
1908 – 2004

Cartier-Bresson is widely regarded as one of the greatest photographers of all time. He is known as the father of photojournalism, and coined the term ‘The Decisive Moment’.

Well, I dunno about seducing and entertaining, but I liked the look of this young Mum kangaroo so there she is.

Mumroo.jpg

I took a drive down to my old workplace, Morisset Hospital. The kangaroos run wild down there. And they are completely fearless of people, to their detriment, when someone decides its time for a cull. There must have been one recently, no old kangaroos about, none of the big bucks, anyway.

Oh I do hate winter, and today proves the point. Grey, grey, grey, low cloud below the hill tops, rain or drizzle from before dawn until, if the forecast is to be believed, after dusk. And what's more, three days like this forecast during the next six, wonderful! I tried a shot from the doorway, forget it. So the Voigtlander 21mm f/4 is hardly a close up lens, particularly with a minimum focus distance of 0.5m. Never the less, here goes, well after a fashion anyway, oh and it's in colour!

180121-1030881..jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Skulls

Barrie

Bleak weather here too, cool and wet, but just above freezing. Went back the same way as yesterday to explore and find a waterfall I had heard, but not seen. Had to wade through a small creek (probably man-made) where I slipped and nearly fell in ...

On the other side, I realised that I had to simply follow the water. The ground was wet, deep and treacherous, however, so it took me a while to get above the waterfall. There was actually someone down there - a guy actually standing beneath the fall and getting sprayed heavily by the water! No idea what drove him there, but I met him later drudging out of the forest - he had waterproof clothing on, but still looked wet and cold through and through. Grumpy, too, so I refrained from talking to him ...

Anyway, I followed the path the guy had taken back into the forest and got a shot of the waterfall from a better angle. The image was taken handheld at 1/20" - and since I did the walk specifically to find this spot, here's the result:
SiJ2018_21.jpg

Oh, and along the way, I reached for my Leica M4-P - to realise that it wasn't in the bag. For a dreadful moment, I thought I had lost it somewhere, but then remembered that I hadn't packed it ... whew ...

M.

Like in Barrie’s neck of the woods, it’s been hissing down all day (and yesterday), some of it as snow, but mostly just cold rain. So no outdoors today, thank you very much. Here is my nearly finished pinhole camera. I just need to put a film in it really. I’m a bit disappointed with it, the instructions were very sketchy and it doesn’t all fit together too robustly. But let’s see if it takes a photo before I consign it to the bin!
3483B312-82DA-4DF7-A718-0D3B0D66A0F5.jpeg

Like in Barrie’s neck of the woods, it’s been hissing down all day (and yesterday), some of it as snow, but mostly just cold rain. So no outdoors today, thank you very much. Here is my nearly finished pinhole camera. I just need to put a film in it really. I’m a bit disappointed with it, the instructions were very sketchy and it doesn’t all fit together too robustly. But let’s see if it takes a photo before I consign it to the bin!
View attachment 132375
I like your taste in books.

View attachment 132375

Probably not quite as robust, or indeed as heavy, as my Mamiya 330F. I wonder what the images will turn out like? Good luck with it.

Barrie

D8BD6ABB-F23C-41AD-BCDC-53E3006636DE.jpeg

Day Twenty One - the wrong attitude

Grey sky and a flurry of snow during my lunch time walk. I didn’t get very far as the lazy butt face in me just wanted to get home so she could wrap up in a warm blanket in front of the telly. That’s just not the way to make a great weekend.

Back