SiJ 2018 - Day Twenty One.

Are you affected by the flooding Barrie? Saw it on the news earlier. Very nasty.

Hi Ian, I haven't seen any news today so am not aware of where there has been flooding. I would imagine any of the rivers running off the moors are in spate and with any flood plain already saturated there could well be problems with where the water then goes. The tides are past the highest of the spring tides so less likely to cause problems. I'm well away from a major river and well above sea level, however a few years ago water collected at the bottom of a field against a hedge bank which broke at about 04:00 hours and cascaded down across the main road and flooded the local garage and supermarket to a depth of over one foot, we don't need that again. Thanks for asking.

Barrie

P.S. I've just watched the television news, something I rarely do. The worst would seem to be in north Devon, the River Taw is the culprit for the floods around Barnstaple, it rises on the northern part of Dartmoor. The rivers off Exmoor are much shorter in length but will then rise very quickly. One of those would be responsible for the problems at Combe Martin.

B.

Last edited:
A pair of Yellow Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera, displaying the myriad characteristic dried seed pods that will persist on the trees until Spring, when the cycle begins anew.

Day 21.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back