SiJ 2018 - we made it! Thinking back - and ahead ...

Should we adapt the "Single in" challenge to be more accessable or keep it pure and simple?

• I would like to keep the SiJ challenge as it is - yearly, in January, period.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I would agree to an occasional break in the pattern - like additional months.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I would prefer a nine-month pattern in order to get variation in subject matter.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • The "Single" aspect is to be held up: one camera, one lens, preferrably a prime.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • People's choices are theirs entirely - everyone should choose whatever they prefer.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • We value perseverance and dedication - those who participate see it through.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Nobody wants to have to contribute sub-par images - we should tolerate breaks.

• Let's be lenient and accept any contribution anyone can afford to make.

• Total voters
Hopefully I'll be taking part again. I haven't been exactly active here for a while due to admiring my local Health Centre and too many hospital waiting rooms etc. Lost my drive for a while but am getting back into the swing of things again. Not sure what I'll be using, my original canon M is playing up again so may replace that or get a GR. Might use my old Nikon 9100, have had some lovely photos with that and really bonded with it.

I'm not yet sure what I'll use - but my setup is most probably evolve around a single prime again, which sort of suggests the Sony A7 II; I may even use an adapted lens for the challenge this time.

But there's still a totally different approach: the GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 ...

@tonyturley I sure hope you get the GX85 fixed - it's really a fine camera, and well suited for a "Si" challenge ...

M.
I don't know if it's a big thing or not, Matt. I was out on a walk Saturday morning, had taken a few images, and shut the camera down. It didn't respond when I went to use it again. I assumed the battery was drained, which was puzzling since I'd taken maybe 20 images at that point. I tried charging the battery Saturday evening, and the charging light came on for several hours, but the camera still doesn't respond. mpb gave me the go-ahead to return it. The problem could simply be a bad battery, or . . . ?

@tonyturley If you don't have access to another battery to check, I'd return it - it's not "normal behaviour" for sure. The GX8* does have the tendency to drain the battery when not in use, but it's minor with the latest firmware ... But if the battery has been totally drained and/or the charging circuits are gone, there's no way to check ...

M.

@tonyturley If you don't have access to another battery to check, I'd return it - it's not "normal behaviour" for sure. The GX8* does have the tendency to drain the battery when not in use, but it's minor with the latest firmware ... But if the battery has been totally drained and/or the charging circuits are gone, there's no way to check ...

M.
I did send it back today, Matt. It had given me no warning signs whatsoever, and there have been times I've used it for several days before recharging, and still had capacity left in the battery. That's why I think there's something else going on.

Much as I like the challenge I find it very difficult wading through the posts. If it was an image only thread I’m sure I would enjoy it more. Nothing against a discussion thread running alongside for those that wish to comment. But the way my brain is wired, comments and quotes and perhaps multiple quotes between entered images make it a bit of a struggle. Perhaps something to do with my type of dyslexia works

@Ripleysbaby I see what you mean - though not all daily threads were like that last time. In short, I'm all for concentrating on the images again - I'm guilty of a lot of additional talk myself and will try to hold that back and put it in the correct threads from now on. After all, we run commentary and discussion threads alongside the images threads - so those could be uncluttered a bit, no problem. It's more a matter of self-discipline. We run daily image threads, an outtake thread and periodic feedback threads anyway - so, no problem at all.

There's not need to get religious about it, though. Information, encouragement and comments - all in sensibly short form - should be welcome to accompany and facilitate the challenge. It's taxing as it is - and it's a social event as well, so shutting everyone up will not help.

M.

I’m not wanting to shut people up , just keep the images separate.
A thread for comment separate.
Just like the SiJ out takes
I didn't suggest you were trying to do so - it'd just be the other extreme I'd rather like to avoid.

As for the comment thread, we just have to provide minor clarifications come August (I promised to get the first "official" SiS - Single in September - off the ground, so I'll take care of that on or around the 15th).

M.

I didn't suggest you were trying to do so - it'd just be the other extreme I'd rather like to avoid.

As for the comment thread, we just have to provide minor clarifications come August (I promised to get the first "official" SiS - Single in September - off the ground, so I'll take care of that on or around the 15th).

M.
Looking forward to it, Matt. For nostalgia's sake, the thought of using the *ist D + Flektogon 35mm /2.4 has crossed my mind, but that's an extra camera to carry around with me, and I'd have to take 10 pics a day to make sure I got one in focus. We'll see.

Folks: I know it's entirely my fault for not being able to count correctly, but will it be a Single in September or Single in October? Strictly speaking, it should be the latter, not my fumbled SiS (Single in September) from the previous post ... I'll leave this open to debate - even though I now recall that I was thinking about January, October, July, April as a rhythm initially ...

M.

Thanks everyone so far - I guess it's a non-issue.

@Briar I'll be in Edinburgh tonight, but just for two nights - travelling north afterwards ... Happy to be there again :)

M.
Hope you have a fantastic time while you are over here. The sun is certainly shining for you so you are off to a good start. Where North are you going? North is always more interesting.

Hope you have a fantastic time while you are over here. The sun is certainly shining for you so you are off to a good start. Where North are you going? North is always more interesting.
Cairngorms -> Inverness -> Orkneys -> Northwestern Highlands -> Harris & Lewis -> Skye -> Western Highlands -> Glasgow :)

Afterwards, back to Edinburgh ...

M.

Last edited:
LOL you are doing more of Scotland than I’ve ever done!! :blush: Sounds fantastic! My hubby has a hankering to go to the Western Isles but cheap flights out of Edinburgh keep tempting us elsewhere. Some day ... but in the meantime, I can look forward to seeing your photos from your adventures in Scotland.

LOL you are doing more of Scotland than I’ve ever done!! :blush: Sounds fantastic! My hubby has a hankering to go to the Western Isles but cheap flights out of Edinburgh keep tempting us elsewhere. Some day ... but in the meantime, I can look forward to seeing your photos from your adventures in Scotland.
I’d love to go back to the Western Isles but I’m afraid that the week of gorgeous weather we had 10 years ago can never be repeated!

I can look forward to seeing your photos from your adventures in Scotland.
I'll start posting soon - Polarr plays ball with the DNGs from the M10 - nice!

I’d love to go back to the Western Isles but I’m afraid that the week of gorgeous weather we had 10 years ago can never be repeated!
True - but the heat's got its downsides - I've been sweating like mad for the last couple of days, and here was me thinking I could get away from the heat! Thankfully, in the Central and Northern Highlands, temperatures aren't that excessive - I did a short hike today and it was quite pleasant, or at least bearable most of the time.

I think I'll start a new thread for the rest of this report - if not tonight, then tomorrow ...

M.

Back