SiJ book - Front and Back cover photo search

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
The Single In January book planning is in full swing. There are more people than I realized who will be a part of it. So far, we've had 23 people respond in the affirmative and I suspect we may get a couple more stragglers. Giving everyone a 2 page spread and planning the extra pages for copyright, title info and other stuff the book should be in the range of 60-70 pages (or so). Because the images are all different orientations and aspect ratios we are best served by a square format book. The pages of the book are 7 inches square so you really can't comfortably put more than one image on a page. While I am sure everyone would like to show off more of their own work, we will only be able to do 2 shots a piece.

Less is more they say, so choose wisely and focus on what 2 images say the most.

While I was planning out what would go inside the book, I also remembered that we can display 2 additional shots ON THE OUTSIDE. So have a look through your work from the month and if you have one that you think would work well for the front cover or the back cover, add them to this thread and after we'll have a poll this weekend to select the images for the cover. Then you can get down to selecting which 2 shots you want for the inside. I know some of you have already chosen 4 and I apologize that you'll have to eliminate 2 more, but for size and price (buying a $100 book really cuts into gear money) the cuts are necessary.

Here's one that leaves lots of room for titles etc. This is the reduced size for posting in albums. Can be cropped as needed. Late afternoon sun reflecting off the jet and contrail. This is OOC. I'm sure there are better, but, here it is to look at anyway.

Picture removed by me.
Sorry for the senile moment this one was taken for SIJ, but not posted as such.

I would like to humbly suggest Duane's Eiffel tower shot, if he wouldn't mind? To be honest I didnt even check if he's in for the album:redface: I probably should have before posting this :tongue:
Day_25_2012.jpg

[edit] Duane's in, thankfully! Still I have no idea if he'd like to have his photo on the cover... sorry if I broke any ethical boundaries here, it's just I absolutely loved this shot :)

I still like my idea of a collage of all the images that will be inside the book, in a reduced size. If you like, I can provide an example of what I'm talking about. That way no one is slighted, and all will be on the cover, both front and back. Again, something to think about. Otherwise, I want one of mine on the cover. :D

Otto, that's a very democratic concept you have. Why don't you put together an example and the group can vote for that concept on equal terms with individual nominations.
OR you could select one of your fine shots.

Otto, that's a very democratic concept you have. Why don't you put together an example and the group can vote for that concept on equal terms with individual nominations.
OR you could select one of your fine shots.

Luke,

I will work on something this evening using some of the photos from the SIJ gallery to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the consideration,

Luke,

Here is what I was talking about. Bear in mind, I just copied some of my entries to fill the cover as an example.

Keep in mind that each of the photos would be different, and would be the same photos that are inside the book. They would just need to be sized for a nice layout, front and back.

SIJ_Cover.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea of what I meant.

Looks good Otto but maybe should be narrowed down to a smaller number each side so that there are a few surprises inside? I'm worried it may not be worth opening the book if all the contents are displayed on the front and back covers!:D Voting for the cover pics would be fun and a reward for those pics that were a notch above the rest..

I'm a little disappointed you people think so little of your own efforts. I thought I would be looking at 25 different submissions for potential front covers and another 20-25 for back covers. There were so many great photos in the "Single In" I can't begin to describe them all. If you don't want to hog the spotlight on the cover....that's OK...... i understand. We can work fine with what we have already. I just thought people might want to score an extra image in the book....or showcase the special shot they captured that stood for the whole month. I'll leave this thread open for the weekend, but then voting will be on Monday. I expect to see some competition.

I still haven't quite decided which two I'd pick for print....four was easier. ;)

But you wanted competition, well then. Can't help you there but here's some photos to get the contenders out of the wood work.

P1030666SiJ.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1040666SIJ-2SIJ.jpg

The second one sorts of works on the "Single in.." theme. Then again, maybe these would work better thematically!
P1040035SIJ-6SIJ.jpg

P1040115SIJSIJ.jpg

or even...

P1040352_tonedSIJ.jpg

I know you only said two Luke but, I couldn't help it....:laugh1:

Okay, here's my own submission for a front or back cover:
SAM_2209small.jpg

Although I do like Otto's collage as well, perhaps if we choose to go that way, we could put one of each member's shots on the combined front and back cover, so that of the 2 shots each member has inside the book, 1 hasn't been on the cover yet.

I actually quite like Otto and Bob's idea of using people's images that are not inside the book. If we originally had 4 images in mind for the book, 2 images can be used on the outside, 1 for the front cover and 1 for the back cover, and 2 images inside.

Anyways, these are my 2 submissions for the covers.

DSC03805.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

Here is my suggestion for front/back pictures -

Front (by pdh):
20120130_1061-17-1.jpg

Back (by Landshark):
cover2sm.jpg

I think the front image really catches your attention and the back one sums up why we really do this :)

-Thomas

Back