SiJ Book - Will you let us use your photos?

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
This is just a simple poll to ask people who participated in the Single In January PAD project if they are willing to submit their images for inclusion in the planned book. This is just to get an idea of how many photos will be submitted, how many pages there will be and to start planning a bit. You needn't have completed the Single In challenge to have your images included (we're an INCLUSIVE bunch). You also needn't even be interested in buying a copy....... you can decide that later.

They only thing you are committing to here is allowing us to use the images to make the book.

Please enter a comment in the affirmative so we can see who will be included in the book.

Yes, and I suspect that full-resolution scans would be better for inclusion into a book? If that is the case, I think the editor should request higher-res pictures for the book if they are to be used.

Brian, you are correct. I am starting a flickr group to provide access to full size images for the editor (whomever that may be). For those who don't have flickr accounts, you can email them to me or the editor (once we have a volunteer).

The gallery here on serious compacts does not support full size images.

Yes.

But...

1. I would want to see a clear statement at the front of the book asserting that copyright rests with the contributors.
2. I*think* - I could be wrong - that Flickr compresses, no matter how big the original file. I also *think* that you need to have a Pro account to upload large files.

I originated the Leica User Forum Charity Book over on the LUF. Volume 2 is about to go into print. Volume 1 has raised over £12.5k for Cancer charities. Follow the link for some tips and advice. Don't underestimate the work involved. I edited that first book and it took time. We set up a GoogleMail account for photos, btw. I downloaded every one to my PC for inclusion in the book.

As I think I have mentioned before, for Blurb you need images that are .JPG, at least 3000pixels on the long side, and in SRGB colourspace.

I'd also mention cost - the first book had 140 photos in it, and ended up costing over £70 (most of which goes to Blurb...)

I'm not saying don't do it - as mentioned before, I'm planning to do one of my own - but be aware of what it takes...

Bill,
those are good valid points. Certainly there will be a copyright notice. No one will be making any money off of this.

I just checked with flickr and with Pro accounts, the original file is uncompressed. So, I guess we'll have to use an email account for those without Pro accounts. But we'll get it done.

I don't underestimate the work that will go into it. I tried a Blurb book a few years ago and was a bit overwhelmed by trying to go too big (and not knowing WTH I was doing). It'll be a tough slog, but surely it will easier than the original month long journey.

And from my estimates on the cost of the book. It looks like it'll be somewhere around $50-$60 depending on the size.

Yes, but I will have to redo the PP, as I did not save a full res copy. Will start the redo.

+1. But we wont be submitting all our images, surely? There are a lot of duds from me that I would not want in there, and some I didn't submit for SIJ which would be more suited.

I'd prefer to email, too, I do not submit full size images to flickr, even though I have a pro account.

Back