SiJ cover - We need your photos

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
OK all, I know a lot of you are chomping at the bit to get the ball rolling on this book. Planning it out is going smoothly enough, but the cover is a bit of work. The insides are going to be easy. 1 page.....1 image......easy as pie, but it'll be interesting to see if the cover comes together. It's time to submit your image for a collage to make the front cover and the back cover.

Basically, we will all be represented by 3 images. 2 full size ones inside the book (those should kinda be your favorites...or your best....or whatever) and 1 that will be basically be a thumbnail on the cover. Seriously.....they will be tiny. So keep that in mind when selecting the images to submit for the cover. The cover is 7 inches square (18cm) and we're going to try to make 28 images fit on there (with a title!) so look at your images as thumbnails and submit the best to be used on the front or back cover as works for our layout. That's all we're looking for now. We'll ask for the 2 main submissions later. So look at your images small...because they look different seen at that size. Go for the simpler ones. These will literally be the size of your thumb.....maybe a little bigger.

So please send your cover image only at this time (not your top 2 for the inside of the book....we'll ask or those later) to Luke.seriouscompacts@gmail.com

File size probably isn't the most important thing for these since they will be so small, but let's practice now to get it right for later. The images should be in the sRGB colorspace, at least 3000 pixels on the longest side, 300 dpi (or ppi) and highest quality JPEG. If you have any questions about how to save (or export) this way, feel free to ask. Be sure to let us know what editing software you are using so we can best help you.

If there's anything I forgot to mention or anything isn't clear, shoot me a pm or add it to this thread.

And maybe you could answer in the affirmative in this thread to let me know your images have been sent in case there's any problems.

Using Photo Shop, the choice seems to be RGB, CMYK, Lab Color, but no sRGB. Hint?
Also are the Pictures going to be in square format for Front & Rear? If so, cropping gives me 1800 on each side. If I up size to 3000 the quality is very noticeably degraded. Should I up size or not?

Sent 2 emails with cover photos.

I am leaving tomorrow for Mexico and will not have access to my photos until I get back. If there is a problem or you need the inside photos before March 5 let me know.

Using Photo Shop, the choice seems to be RGB, CMYK, Lab Color, but no sRGB. Hint?
Also are the Pictures going to be in square format for Front & Rear? If so, cropping gives me 1800 on each side. If I up size to 3000 the quality is very noticeably degraded. Should I up size or not?

Steve, you set the colour space as sRGB in Edit - Preferences. There is no way that you can upsize your small jpegs and expect to get printable quality, it just won't work, you've thrown away too much information in the initial downsizing.

Barrie

Kathy.... I'm not sure I'll get as far as laying out the main part of the book before that date, but you can go ahead and send your main images now....please just make them as such for a reminder..... my memory is good, but it's short ;)

Steve.....I trust that Barrie's description was all you needed. Send the photo as you would like it to appear.

I'm struggling a bit with this, because almost all my SIJ shots were crops. Easy for thumbnailing but perhaps not so much for inside the book. Not too many that I like in their original to send on. eg a gull in flight, the original had a honking great lightpole in the middle so it had to be cropped. (I was considering that for a cover thumbnail) and a shot across the river when the river was a big black nothing on the bottom half of the shot, so most got cropped. And so on.

Shall I submit the full size but cropped versions? They are still fairly big. Other than that I think I'll have to bail out. Also with the cover shots, do you want them full sized as well?

Sue (and everyone else)...... send the shots you want, as you want them in the best version you have. The ones on the cover are going to be practically thumbnails...... don't stress out about the quality. And the ones inside the book are still going to be around the size of a standard print. We're not blowing these up to poster size.

So send the ones you love and if the quality they are in is absolutely unacceptable, we'll find a workaround or ask for something else.

For all shots....even the tiny cover shots, I'd like the largest best copy you have....preferrably in 300 dpi, but absolutely in sRGB and JPEG, max quality.

Thanks to all who have sent photos so far. Some of you are also sending along photos for the inside of the book. Please, if you're going to do that.....please mark them as such in your email in some way. I'm trying to focus on just getting the cover organized and I don't want to screw up and get photos going where they oughtn't. You'll help me to keep myself organized.
Thanks again to all. Your photos are inspiring!

2 sent for covers

Luke, I sent the two photos separately. I hope they are the appropriate size, as discussed. Let me know if there's a problem.

Can't thank you enough for all this work!

Hi Luke,

Sent you 2 pics attached to the one message, hope you got them? My PC went a bit screwy during the process - I had all kinds of windows and requesters opened that would not close down. Had to run taskmanager and terminate several processes to recover.

Back