SiJy 2019 Day 12

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Hi Folks, here's the Day 12 thread, I know I'm not the one to judge but I can definitely see the photos getting better, keep them coming.

Mine today, for a few days already I've been editing raw files on Lightroom for Android, quite usable.

I missed focus on this one, was originally aiming at his face, but the composition doesn't look good so I cropped to change the subject, but without the hand in focus.
IMG_5028_Canon EOS M50_1_160_1.4_100_32.0 mm_EF-M32mm f_1.4 STM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I'm going with this view from the kitchen door of my cottage. There is an image I have in mind but it would need the cloud in the sky to co-operate and since the light needs to be in the right direction it would need to be taken later in the day. However I intend to have a bar meal and two pints of "Slack ma girdle" which is a good strong proper cider at lunchtime so I might not be quite up to setting that image up later in the day. I will be traveling to and from the pub by bus, let's hope it's not Alan driving again, he's beginning to think I'm an alcoholic!

It has become obvious to me that the distance scale on the Samyang 12mm f/2 lens is wrong, the infinity focus point is definitely wrong so the rest of the scale is likely to be in error. I've been trying the lens out for that reason on both the GF1 and a GX7 which benifits from an evf for framing and peak focussing. Prior warning, I might use the GX7 on Monday for reasons of obtaining more accurate framing, most of my shots, although not this one, have been tripod mounted and I've used the rear screen to frame and indeed focus the shot on the principle subject in the image. I did use the ovf for this shot but it's rather hit and miss. I'm also beginning to use slightly larger aperture openings, many of my shots have been at f/11 and probably suffer from diffraction effects, this was f/8.

190712-1020307.jpg

Barrie

I'm going with this view from the kitchen door of my cottage. There is an image I have in mind but it would need the cloud in the sky to co-operate and since the light needs to be in the right direction it would need to be taken later in the day. However I intend to have a bar meal and two pints of "Slack ma girdle" which is a good strong proper cider at lunchtime so I might not be quite up to setting that image up later in the day. I will be traveling to and from the pub by bus, let's hope it's not Alan driving again, he's beginning to think I'm an alcoholic!

It has become obvious to me that the distance scale on the Samyang 12mm f/2 lens is wrong, the infinity focus point is definitely wrong so the rest of the scale is likely to be in error. I've been trying the lens out for that reason on both the GF1 and a GX7 which benifits from an evf for framing and peak focussing. Prior warning, I might use the GX7 on Monday for reasons of obtaining more accurate framing, most of my shots, although not this one, have been tripod mounted and I've used the rear screen to frame and indeed focus the shot on the principle subject in the image. I did use the ovf for this shot but it's rather hit and miss. I'm also beginning to use slightly larger aperture openings, many of my shots have been at f/11 and probably suffer from diffraction effects, this was f/8.

View attachment 201566

Barrie
You’re right Barrie, I had that lens on a Sony A6000 and the infinity marker was off. Which was a bit annoying when I was trying to do astrophotography shots, especially as the lens is so highly regarded for that.

There are several ways to craft a stringed instrument neck, and one of them is to take flat sawn planks and stack them together vertically. Glued in such a manner, the neck is very stiff. My stack here is Maple and Black Walnut. In retrospect, I'm annoyed I didn't move the instruments from behind . . . they're kind of distracting.

Day 12.JPG

Oops, posted this to the wrong thread originally. Silly me.
Here are more cows. I said in the deleted post that these are some of the ubiquitous Cheshire cows, but actually they are a few yards over the border in Staffordshire. (Edit - in fact the border is the hedge running through from the middle of the right hand side)

A14AC00B-D426-4253-96C4-BF0FAF86DF1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Oops, posted this to the wrong thread originally. Silly me.
Here are more cows. I said in the deleted post that these are some of the ubiquitous Cheshire cows, but actually they are a few yards over the border in Staffordshire.
View attachment 201578

Martin, they still look like those high producing blessed old Friesian or Holstein-Friesians cattle to me instead of some nice local breed, sad. For my part give me a nice South Devon any day, docile and a good general breed, they make excellent beef although slow maturing, and can be milked but rather low yielding. That said, an excellent monochrome conversion.

Barrie

Martin, they still look like those high producing blessed old Friesian or Holstein-Friesians cattle to me instead of some nice local breed, sad. For my part give me a nice South Devon any day, docile and a good general breed, they make excellent beef although slow maturing, and can be milked but rather low yielding. That said, an excellent monochrome conversion.

Barrie
Yeah, I think these are the Holstein-Friesians. I meant they are ubiquitous in Cheshire, rather than being a local breed. You also see the odd little herd of Jerseys or Guernseys here and there, and quite a few Belted Galloways.

Yeah, I think these are the Holstein-Friesians. I meant they are ubiquitous in Cheshire, rather than being a local breed. You also see the odd little herd of Jerseys or Guernseys here and there, and quite a few Belted Galloways.

I think Belted Galloways are OK, but those Jersey's and Guernsey's can be nasty, beware.

Barrie

Last edited:
Nice Friday to everyone. This time I'll go through all that I shot before selecting the Day 12 pic. Not too many this time, I arranged my situation poorly. But oh boy did they turn out fine. If only I could bottle the creative energy I didn't even know I had on me to use on a better day...

Let's go with this.

2019-07-12-17-48-MP000634.jpg

Back