SiJy 2019 Day 12

Delivery dude showed a day late. At least it arrived.

"What's in the box?"
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There are several ways to craft a stringed instrument neck, and one of them is to take flat sawn planks and stack them together vertically. Glued in such a manner, the neck is very stiff. My stack here is Maple and Black Walnut. In retrospect, I'm annoyed I didn't move the instruments from behind . . . they're kind of distracting.

View attachment 201568

I love the look of Maple and Black Walnut.

It has become obvious to me that the distance scale on the Samyang 12mm f/2 lens is wrong, the infinity focus point is definitely wrong so the rest of the scale is likely to be in error.

Barrie

This is the reason why I’ve learned a habit to focus a tiny bit backwards from the infinity mark. It works well and nails 99 times out of 100 the focus right. It’s a safety operation for the lenses one doesn’t know for sure.

We visited a museum with the spouse and I was thrilled for a thing there. More in the outtakes.

But I selected this one to salute the designer couple who has permanent exhibition in the form of walk in storage in the museum. They both, wife and husband made many iconic designs and products but especially the man was very famous at the time, and still is. In the picture there are two industrial design products of Tapio Wirkkala (refrigerator and tv), who was maybe better known for his glass design, iconic vodka bottles :)

AD4F5311-28A9-4125-951D-BDCF4DCA0121.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the reason why I’ve learned a habit to focus a tiny bit backwards from the infinity mark. It works well and nails 99 times out of 100 the focus right. It’s a safety operation for the lenses one doesn’t know for sure.

How I wish the error was as small as that, I learned to use that idea in landscape photographs way back in the 1970's on medium format cameras, in this case the infinity setting is close to the 1 metre mark, also the end stop for the travel is well beyond the infinity mark, so a flawed lens that is made difficult to set due to those flaws.

Barrie

Back