SiJy 2019 Day 13

And boxes spilled forth from the previous box.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely done, again. May I ask about music? Do you worry about copyright or are you only using it for personal vids, not promotion or business. What is your source for music? Your vids are truly inspiring me!!

Thanks Walter. The music Iā€™ve used in this challenge are available, free to use, in the DJI Mimo video editing app. Iā€™m doing these videos for fun and to try to learn how to film half decent video when I travel. I havenā€™t monetised my YouTube channel but if I do ever get around to shooting any good video when travelling I might change my mind. Problem is when I travel, the stills camera will always be my first grab.

The Black Walnut and Maple stack from yesterday's image will have to be planed flat and squared to the sides before use. That can be done using power tools - and their sharp, very rapidly moving cutty thingies - or by a hand plane. In this case I have a large #7 Jack Plane, and a contraption I built called a shooting board. It's just 3 pieces of perfectly straight MDF glued to form a shelf, with one of the pieces glued underneath to form a hook to keep it all from sliding about on the workbench. I've also used this setup to joint pieces of wood to be joined together for a guitar top.

I have to tell you there's a long YouTube video out there of a luthier building a guitar in an upstairs workshop overlooking some European city. The guy uses only hand tools, and watching him work was watching an artist in motion. His use of a shooting board and a plane like the one I show here was masterful.

Day 13.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An early morning foray to the beach at Beesands (about 4 miles away) to point the GF1 at a scene with a dynamic range somewhat in excess of it's 10 year old sensor technology to be capable of recording, hence some areas of blown out sky. I had always intended to make a monochrome image but found I had to resort to my Windows machine and use Silver Efex to get close to my original vision, not that I'm sure I succeeded, but another image that hopefully conveys some atmosphere though it is beyond reality. The exposure time was lengthened with three Cokin ND filters stacked in front of the lens in the hope of conveying some sense of movement in the water although it was a bit too calm with very little surge in the sea, unlike recent conditions on the other side of the world in the Bass Strait, so all I ended up with are wispy gossamer like streaks.

Having given it some thought in the hour since posting I now think the image would have been improved by some local burning in of those wispy gossamer streaks to lift them from zone 7 that they were showing in Silver Efex. Hmm, that turned out to be a somewhat ambitious idea :LOL:, think again.

View attachment 201647

Barrie

p.s. Once again Photoshop throws any Exif data away (you can tell when I use RawTherapee, Exif is there!)
I really like this! Nice work!

Abercorn Church

You have such amazing vision for filming. I can see you easily making a great web series.

Nicely done, again. May I ask about music? Do you worry about copyright or are you only using it for personal vids, not promotion or business. What is your source for music? Your vids are truly inspiring me!!
There are royalty free music sites for film makers, like Incompetech: Royalty-Free Music. @Briar If you haven't checked out incompetech already, it would be worth a look for another source of music.

Back