SiJy 2019 Day 16

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Hi folks hope you're all doing great.

My challenge today has gone a little unexpected. Originally I shot something (boring) with the M50 and 32 prime that I'll share later in the outtakes thread, and then this video got my attention and had been my source of inspiration for my challenge today.

Shot with my 40D and 15-85 zoom which was available.

IMG_8593_Canon EOS 40D_6_8.0_100_53.0 mm_EF-S15-85mm f_3.5-5.6 IS USM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the type that I'm rather unfamiliar with, if not for the challenge it'll probably take me longer to try.

Did I mention I cooked this bamboo chop board to make the background?

Last edited:
I have commented before on the inaccuracy of the distance scale markings of the Samyang 12mm f/2 lens that I am using for this challenge. By Day 14 I had conducted enough tests to be able to scribe my own markings on the scale for 1 metre and infinity. I was able to use those markings on Day 15 when all my shots in Plymouth were handheld and the focusing by zone was acceptably accurate. In going through my shots to date almost all of them have been with the GF1 camera mounted on a tripod with focus being obtained via the rear lcd screen using the magnify facility. This has also provided me with accurately framed shots. The only days I haven't used this technique were Day 1, a reasonably well framed shot using the ovf with focus obtained purely by accident, Day 6 where I prefocussed on the hedge before the bus arrived and used the ovf to track it and Day 11 where I used the magnify facility whilst handholding the camera and veiwing the rear screen. I have found that using the ovf provides very hit and miss framing and using the GF1 at arms length to see the rear screen is in my opinion highly unprofessional as well as being prone to camera shake. That's a shame because the GF1 acts as a miniature view camera very well. However that does limit ones photographic opportunities.

Given the above I am going to switch my choice of camera to a GX7 which is as close to a more up to date GF1 as I have. I will then be able to use the evf to frame my shots and enable me to be more spontaneous when the circumstances arise which they may or may not, I do like using the camera tripod mounted and taking my time to set up a shot, so there are likely to be shots taken with the GX7 in a similar manner. I shall of course continue to use the Samyang 12mm f/2 lens.

I'm on board for the duration and trying to stick to the principles of the challenge without making myself a martyr to them.

Barrie

Hi folks hope you're all doing great.

My challenge today has gone a little unexpected. Originally I shot something (boring) with the M50 and 32 prime that I'll share later in the outtakes thread, and then this video got my attention and had been my source of inspiration for my challenge today.

Shot with my 40D and 15-85 zoom which was available.

View attachment 201804

This is the type that I'm rather unfamiliar with, if not for the challenge it'll probably take me longer to try.

Did I mention I cooked this bamboo chop board to make the background?

LOL I watched that video too! He influenced one of my scenes in the balloon video.

How ironic, I change my camera to the GX7 to enable me to break free and my first shot is yet another still life with the camera tripod mounted. This is my take on the French impressionists, including I guess Monet. I "saw" this shot 2 days ago when out doing my bird survey work in the parish and with no wind early this morning this had to be the day to go for it. A close runner up is in the outtakes.

190716-1140888.jpg

Barley, Poppies and Volunteer Wheat

(n.b. volunteer meaning a self sown plant from last years crop)

Barrie

Day sixteen... finally past the midpoint :) The gear poses me no challenge but it can be some work going to work and back, managing life and then going to shoot even when the spirits aren't with you.

Today, it was nice during the day but when it was time to clock out, it started to rain, with violent showers. I think it's another episode of 'indoor shooting' for me.

This is a view from my kitchen window.

2019-07-16-16-28-MP000986.jpg

Well, here’s a lesson. Using the G7 now I took a photo in Rough Mono, but it was only in Raw (forgot I’d set it up like that when I was trying infrared). So I couldn’t transfer it over wifi to my iPad. I had to process the raw file in the camera but that only allows straightforward mono, none of the filter effects. Why? And why does the camera let you choose a filter that can’t be applied? Weird. Anyway I did the processing and transferred it, then edited it in Photos to get as close as I could to what I wanted. It’s the bird feeder support which I have just relocated to the side of the garage, by the way.
06C43A1E-EF6A-4577-BDB9-1BDDF647A8C8.jpeg

The island is dotted with part-finished buildings like these. Some, like this one, are just shells, some have been completed to a greater degree. The construction techniques used - dirty great lumps of concrete - is the same in each case. I cannot help but wonder if archaeologists a couple of millennia from now will look on these "ruins" as forgotten temples to abandoned gods...
DSC_0286-01.jpeg

We made it over the half-way point, and I still really like what I'm seeing - hang in there, folks, we're doing fine (even if some may struggle). I don't regret my choice, but sometimes find it quite challenging indeed - the 75mm is a fine lens, but I find pre-framing (finding shots without the camera to the eye) still quite hard. As much as I like the focal length (and often opt for it when using zooms!), just happening upon rewarding subject matter is harder than with a wide-angle (like my wastly preferred 35mm-e FoV). So, while I enjoy shooting this awesome lens and super-nice combo, I'll be very happy to put my usual Zeiss C Biogon back on the M10 again in two weeks' time ...

In the meantime, I'll try to make quirkiness my friend - like today.

LM101903.jpg

(This is more in the vein of the first three days, I think; it was very hot today, too, so my strange picks shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone ... :cool:)

M.

Back