SiJy 2019 Day 2

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Hi challengers, I know many of you are still enjoying your bright sunny July 1st, I'm posting the Day 2 challenge and as always, you make it shine.

Here's mine.
IMG_7918.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My original plan for another product photography didn't work, but I'm having great fun with the 12 years old Canon 40D. This one's shot with the 50mm 1.8 STM lens.

Spotted these oddities as I was driving out to Morpeth for yesterday's shot. Fortunately they arent too far from home :) I have no idea what they are, I've never seen any before, and there are several groups of them in the immediate area, but nowhere else that I have noticed. Native flower or weed, I have no clue. And yes, I know, not quite landscape :)

1B72D886-DD1B-487A-B5BE-8544552F012F.jpeg

Apparently these are called Pigs Ears. :) Charming.

Last edited:
Spotted these oddities as I was driving out to Morpeth for yesterday's shot. Fortunately they arent too far from home :) I have no idea what they are, I've never seen any before, and there are several groups of them in the immediate area, but nowhere else that I have noticed. Native flower or weed, I have no clue. And yes, I know, not quite landscape :)

View attachment 200775
Interesting, have you tried those phone apps that can identify flowers?

And BTW, the Pentax 15 f4 renders really nicely.

Well that was easy, ridiculously easy, I can see this subject material through my cottage window and it took me less than 30 seconds to walk out to it and set up my tripod. The sky was clear, about one hour after sunrise, pale blue with the sun very low off to the left meaning it wasn't really possible to hold any tone in the sky. Yes, it's another tractor (a different one to yesterday's) and no, tractors aren't my theme for the challenge. I don't have a theme, I just blunder about! This tractor has a hydraulic log splitter fitted and had this challenge started last week I'd have been able to take what for me is a rare picture, one with people in it. My landlord and his wife were using this to split logs and laying down their winter fuel supply.

A low evening sun might have been a better angle except that would have given rise to shadows falling across the subject from unseen objects which I felt would have been distracting.

Today I got really close to the subject, well they do suggest that that's how you use a wide angle lens is it not? All perfectly safe in this instance, the tractor was not in use!

190702-1010898.jpg

Barrie

A curly Maple binding strip bent and ready for installation in the binding channel. Beneath it you see an unbent Maple binding strip, the hot pipe used for bending the binding strip and the sides of both instruments, plus the ukulele body ready for the bent binding strip. Curly Maple is the devil to bend; you have to continually wet it and coax it very gently, or it will split in an instant. I learned that the hard way.

Day 2.JPG

SiJy 2019 Day 2

D119E7B8-91A1-4EF4-A67E-258FDB5EBA36.jpeg

I’ve been mucking around with the focus settings trying to get the low light focusing more accurate or at least speed up... I even resorted to enabling the AF assist lamp! :censored:

No dice so far...

Last edited:
Hot day in a small southern town:

I do like the black and white conversion, has that been done with Fuji's X Raw Studio or as an in camera simulation, or some other magical means? I do have a Fuji X Pro 2 which I've never really gotten on with, but I'm tempted to blow the dust off it and take it along when I venture out tomorrow with the humble GF1 for Day 3 and try and get to love it.

Barrie

What a yawn! Did have a nice sky picture I thought would be my photo for today but my cat started to yawn just as I walked past with the camera in hand and I just pressed the button and hoped for the best. Should get more opportunities for sky and cloud but I doubt I'll get another one like this.
IMG_0420.JPG

Back