SiJy 2019 Day 4

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Hi folks, the 4th thread is here, anyone feeling the pressure? I can't do without dogs or changing lenses.

Here's mine, falling back into my comfort zone fast. Shot with the 40D and EF 85mm 1.8 USM lens.

IMG_8054_Canon EOS 40D_1_640_2.5_400_85.0 mm_EF85mm f_1.8 USM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm trying to stick the the 1:1 guideline and part of the reason I chose the 15mm lens is because I dont usually do very well with a wide lens. My favourite FoV falls somewhere between 35 and 150. And thats why I decided not to go with the TZ in the end... however, after only 3 days my wrists are giving out. Its been raining, but I dont really want to switch to the WR zoom so I'll see how it goes. Maybe a shot of the nasturtiums in the back yard from under a brolly.

[edit] Brolly not required. I liked the Jasmine (or whatever it is, this creeper) better. Its actually a bright orange but the fence is ugly so I decided a conversion to monochrome and a darkening of everything except the flowers, was the go. Couldnt get the same effect without converting. And the rain stopped long enough to get that.

5D04EDA0-57BA-4F76-8914-A185CABFB80F.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm trying to stick the the 1:1 guideline and part of the reason I chose the 15mm lens is because I dont usually do very well with a wide lens. My favourite FoV falls somewhere between 35 and 150. And thats why I decided not to go with the TZ in the end... however, after only 3 days my wrists are giving out. Its been raining, but I dont really want to switch to the WR zoom so I'll see how it goes. Maybe a shot of the nasturtiums in the back yard from under a brolly.

[edit] Brolly not required. I liked the Jasmine (or whatever it is, this creeper) better. Its actually a bright orange but the fence is ugly so I decided a conversion to monochrome and a darkening of everything except the flowers, was the go. Couldnt get the same effect without converting. And the rain stopped long enough to get that.

View attachment 200892
Superb, Sue. The chiaroscuro works very well here. Beautiful composition as well.

Cheers,

Antonio

View attachment 200892
I'm finding it hard and my lens isn't even as wide as yours. Do stick with it won't you Sue.

My theme at the moment has to be whatever I find in the garden, so I hope everyone likes flowers :love:
This was an experiment. I used the “hand held twilight” mode in bright sunshine.

Hi Martin, personally I find my eye being drawn to the out of focus bright orange flowers in the background. I wonder if the image would be stronger framed from a position where they were not intruding or they were cropped out?

(Sorry, you're the first guinea pig I'm trying comments on, I hope you don't mind).

Barrie

Hi Martin, personally I find my eye being drawn to the out of focus bright orange flowers in the background. I wonder if the image would be stronger framed from a position where they were not intruding or they were cropped out?

(Sorry, you're the first guinea pig I'm trying comments on, I hope you don't mind).

Barrie
Hi Barrie, I don’t mind at all. Yes you could say that, but I especially wanted to include them, as I was curious to see how that in camera processing handled the orange/yellow, as it is often rendered inaccurately in my experience.

Hi Barrie, I don’t mind at all. Yes you could say that, but I especially wanted to include them, as I was curious to see how that in camera processing handled the orange/yellow, as it is often rendered inaccurately in my experience.

Fair enough, that explains that. It would seem to have produced a vibrant shade, at least to my eye, but then I don't do colour very well being slightly blue/green colour blind and find it difficult to judge things like colour casts in my colour images.

Barrie

Although I have access to power tools, I'm finding more and more gratification in using hand tools. Here's the partially carved tenor guitar neck, the rasp used in the work, and a pile of very fine Mahogany dust, which I will save and use in the shellac mix when I work on the pore filling of the finished neck.

Day 4.JPG

Despite this scene being photographed quite early in the morning and it being in the shade these flowers were already being visited by pollinating insects. My aim was to keep the white Convolvulus (Bindweed) flowers from being blown out.

View attachment 200922

Open for pollination

Barrie
The tonality in this photo is simply gorgeous. Very nice work!

My theme at the moment has to be whatever I find in the garden, so I hope everyone likes flowers :love:
This was an experiment. I used the “hand held twilight” mode in bright sunshine.
View attachment 200923

Martin - a superb image. The texture of the plant in the foreground really brought me into the composition and the splashes of orange and yellow in the background are wonderful elements of balance.
Kudos.
. . . David

Back