SiJy 2019 Discussion

That said, adjusting the white point/white balance *is* a big deal, especially if you want to rework the overall look. Calibration tools don't cost a fortune, but mean a visible step ahead. Depending on what software I use, dialing in white balance does make a huge difference. But you know what: I know how to create a look that pleases me with more limited apps that don't allow for this. To each his/her own, I guess.

M.

I should probably add at this juncture that I’m currently travelling, on holidays, with the GRII, an iPad mini and Snapseed as my kit.

Add that the X70 actually has a really pretty good built in TC for 35mm and 50mm and you have a useful tool. The attached photo is one I posted a few years ago at 35mm and 3200 ISO that really shocked me just how good is was. And vacation I mentioned where all I took was the X70 and the wide conversion lens:

Attachments

• _DSF5169.jpg
    _DSF5169.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 196
I’ve done the Singles with a Coolpix A and the X70. Not really a problem because I was simply looking for a good shot. It’s when you want specific shots that an ILC shows its versatility. My XE3 with the 27 has been great this month, but in April I was taking animal shots with the 55-230. Still, a day of street/museum shooting in DC with the X70 is a fun and productive affair.

I’ve done the Singles with a Coolpix A and the X70. Not really a problem because I was simply looking for a good shot. It’s when you want specific shots that an ILC shows its versatility. My XE3 with the 27 has been great this month, but in April I was taking animal shots with the 55-230. Still, a day of street/museum shooting in DC with the X70 is a fun and productive affair.
It can be tough to only have the fixed lens at times and it took a while to convince myself to just take the X70 and wide converter when we went to Seattle. I knew the majority of the time I could make do and accepted that there were things I wouldn't get the shot I really wanted. In the end I think I enjoyed just having a smaller and lighter kit more than I missed have options.

I've since sold the wide converter, the X70 fits just right in my National Geographic NG 1153, the converter wouldn't. I might hang on to X70 longer than the X-E3, I do wish the X-E3 had a tilting screen.

I think I've reached the limit of my tolerance for shooting something every day with the same gear. I'm just not motivated to do that. I'm a superzoom kid, as well as being into fixed lenses... and I have run out of steam. I'll still be looking in to see what everyone else is doing :) Sorry.
I hear you, it's hard to go against nature. It's part of why I almost feel like I'm cheating by using my X70, I shoot a lot under 40mm. I REALLY wish Nikon had released the DL 18-50, it might have been a power zoom lens I could have actually been willing to deal with for the range.

Thinking of swapping to the G7/12-60 combo I was originally planning to use. I feel I have got well acquainted again with an RX100, and I'm delighted with it. The mark 3 is much nicer to use than the mark 1 in many ways. But the G7 just sits there looking at me accusingly whenever I open the camera cupboard, and I’m itching to see what I can get out of it. Maybe I’ll get a second wind by using it, as I’m struggling a bit at the moment.

Thinking of swapping to the G7/12-60 combo I was originally planning to use. I feel I have got well acquainted again with an RX100, and I'm delighted with it. The mark 3 is much nicer to use than the mark 1 in many ways. But the G7 just sits there looking at me accusingly whenever I open the camera cupboard, and I’m itching to see what I can get out of it. Maybe I’ll get a second wind by using it, as I’m struggling a bit at the moment.
By all means, go right ahead!

M.

I think I've reached the limit of my tolerance for shooting something every day with the same gear. I'm just not motivated to do that. I'm a superzoom kid, as well as being into fixed lenses... and I have run out of steam. I'll still be looking in to see what everyone else is doing :) Sorry.
Sorry you are bowing out Sue. I like having you along on the journey.

Of course you can! If we accept late comers, people who took a break are welcome as a matter of course.

M.

Of course I went out to do some shopping and took a bag I *knew* had the TZ90 inside. Ha! Famous last words. For some reason best known to my self of three days ago, I had put the old XZ-1 in, instead. Oh well, a temporary aberration. I just *had* to take the shot I have submitted today.

Ok 'team'. It's Day 19 and I am STILL having trouble picking up the Olympus E-M5.2 instead of the Panasonic GX85. Any help? It was frustrating (again) to go to see an art installation of well lit weave of threads suspended over a pond at night. Easy contrasty setting, but the E-M5.2 was still able to struggle with focus and make me wait as shots walked away.

What am I doing? Should I NOT be using the "Quick Sleep" mode that is supposed to extend battery life? Should I use "All Points" focus rather than "Center Point"? Is there a different mode of thinking that I am missing?

With the GX85, I can see a shot about to happen and turn on the camera while raising it to my eye and have time to frame and shoot. With the Olympus I see the shot about to happen and touch the shutter while raising the camera to my eye and wait for the EVF, then for the IBIS shake, then to think for a second, and THEN release the shutter to me... but sometimes I wait so long I eventually press the damned shutter again ... only to have it infinity focus, fire, and then show me the EVF!!

Gee, thanks, the parents have already removed the toddlers' ice cream cone from the infant's face and begun their clean up. That wonderful sharing older brother is back to eating his ice cream. The baby in the crib is screaming - which, thankfully, covers what I am telling the camera about it's parents. The GX85 just seems much faster responding and reliable of capture.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This SiJy is about me falling in love with the E-M5.2 and P20/1.7, but the GX85+12-32 still has my heart, and it's Day 19!!! Yikes!!!

Last edited:
Back