SiJy 2019 Discussion

I agree with the earlier comments, for me the challenge is sticking to a single camera and lens for each day of the month. I have intentionally chosen one of my least used lenses for this so I can learn what it is capable of.

So far I have been slow getting started. My only theme is to stick to B&W but otherwise, I am open.

I am a good boy, so I tend to do my homework, even though I thought about quitting yesterday (Day 3): I wasn't very energetic and a bit in a low mood so I took some pics in the garden in order to have my *ss covered. In the evening I had to go to the supermarket and decided to take the camera/lens combo, parked my bike before the supermarket and started to walk a bit around the parking lot to look for anything to shoot. Result: came home with some shots I really, really like! So this challenge already paid for itself :) by just nudging me to take my camera when I wouldn't have otherwise.

And I agree with some others when it comes to sticking to your chosen camera/lens combo. It is kind of hard work to go out each and every day, especially when limiting yourself in terms of gear, but it has the potential of stepping up your game, regaining your inspiration or whatever other things you're after.

I decided right off I was going to document the progress on my stringed instrument projects. The X100S is a good tool for that. While it may seem like a narrow theme, there are literally hundreds of small steps that must be executed with precision to get to a successful finish. I don't think I'll have any problem providing fresh content.

Well, I have reached the end of my tether. I should have just said I would use the 18-55mm WR at the beginning. got out of the car this morning and me, camera and lens were immediately dumped on by whoever up "there" is emptying buckets. We got drenched. I'm switching lenses, even though the sun is out right now... it was out earlier. Even as I got out of my car. I'll try to stick to the 18mm f/l (and I do expect to lapse) but at least I will have weather resistance. GRRRR. 15mm is currently drying. I hope it didn't actually sustain any damage.

Well, I have reached the end of my tether. I should have just said I would use the 18-55mm WR at the beginning. got out of the car this morning and me, camera and lens were immediately dumped on by whoever up "there" is emptying buckets. We got drenched. I'm switching lenses, even though the sun is out right now... it was out earlier. Even as I got out of my car. I'll try to stick to the 18mm f/l (and I do expect to lapse) but at least I will have weather resistance. GRRRR. 15mm is currently drying. I hope it didn't actually sustain any damage.
You mean the 16 55 wr right?

Ouch. Hope the 15 dries out with no issues.

I decided right off I was going to document the progress on my stringed instrument projects. The X100S is a good tool for that. While it may seem like a narrow theme, there are literally hundreds of small steps that must be executed with precision to get to a successful finish. I don't think I'll have any problem providing fresh content.
Don’t worry about that. It’s an uncommon hobby so it’s fascinating to see the images and explanations.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for taking up the offer and treating the matter in good spirit.

If I ever get to start off another of these challenges, I'll add that fact that "while we don't enforce the rules, we expect everyone to stick to them - it's an important part of the challenge that you limit yourself to your chosen gear for a month"; and then I'll add a couple of Barries thoughts (which, you'll find, I tried to express in my first post in the "Who's in" thread as well).

Now, as Barrie say, onwards and upwards:

I find the 75mm limitation both really challenging and very rewarding - the Summarit is very, very good and renders a great image, but I find framing with the 75mm frame lines tricky - though I think I'm getting there. The lens's bokeh is an incitement to use it wide open constantly - which means not doing the lens justice, but could be a theme. All three images I've posted so far were (coincidentally) shot wide open, so I could still make it work. I'll decide by the end of the week to further restrict my options.

The lens has one quirk that I find less than ideal: The aperture ring turns at the slightest touch; I often find myself with a much smaller aperture than I intended to use. It's a handling thing, I just have to slide my hand further back on the focusing ring, but the way I carry my camera, it can happen when I shift the grip for shooting.

Now that work load eases considerably (yesterday was the last big push), I'll be able to be more selective as well as more prolific in my shooting; I'll pick up speed during the next couple of days. I'm very much looking forward to that.

M.
I have the 75mm Summariit and really like it. I think it is great that you are using it for the challenge. I would have been tempted to do the same if I wasn't going to be spending so much time working out of town this month. So far I really like your images this challenge. They seem to have a common palette that renders nicely.

Sorry, I have lost Internet connection through my wifi. I don't want to upload through this phone, so I will be missing a few days, but I'm enjoying using the 20mm again, and starting to really bond with the EM5.2 -thank you @MoonMind!
Don't worry - such things happen; a couple of people have uploaded a couple of images a few days later - while traveling, for instance. Looking forward to seeing your images!

M.

Changes happen a lot faster these days, if you compare 10 years ago and 20 years ago probably there weren't many differences, but now, try two years.

I've been trying an X-Pro 2 alongside my GF1 being used for the challenge. I bought it secondhand last year but didn't get on with it. Now I've found out about Capture One Express for Fuji and I must say that that's a change I can live with, although counter to reviews I've read my copy of the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM lens is definitely not sharp into the corners, indeed I would conclude it to be poor on both sides. I can even live with the colour images from that camera and that's saying something.

Barrie

I've been trying an X-Pro 2 alongside my GF1 being used for the challenge. I bought it secondhand last year but didn't get on with it. Now I've found out about Capture One Express for Fuji and I must say that that's a change I can live with, although counter to reviews I've read my copy of the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM lens is definitely not sharp into the corners, indeed I would conclude it to be poor on both sides. I can even live with the colour images from that camera and that's saying something.

Barrie
I shot an X-E3 with a few fuji lenses for a whole year in 2018 before switched to Canon, and C1E for Fuji is a good option for free, but if you're serious with the Fuji, buy the Iridient X-Transformer and it makes a real difference IMO, the software developer is also very friendly answering questions about how you can set the options to get the best results.

For me the Fuji was nice, but not without flaws. My main complaint is with flash metering, Panasonic has issues with external flash auto ISO and that was what I discovered during 6 years shooting m43 before switching to Fuji, after those experiences Canon became an obvious choice.

Innovations are fast these days, but unfortunately they leave important things behind.

Back