SiJy 2019 Discussion

Yeah, I looked into it a lot back when I got my GX85, the tech was touted as being especially good for tracking because it reduces the camera's need to rock back and forth to figure out which way to move the focus. In a modern lens with a fast AF motor (and a lens where only a single element is moved to attain focus) you mainly see the difference in continuous AF.

With a lens like the 20mm (which moves the whole/a lot of the lens elements to attain focus) the motor moves quite slowly in comparison. So for a fully 'dumb' contrast AF system (sorry, Olympus) the focus speed is glacial since it has to rock that slow focus motor back and forth, moving much greater mass inside the lens. DfD allows a Panny body to cut right to the correct focus by analyzing the out of focus characteristics and telling the lens which way it needs to move.

Incidentally, the Ricoh GR also moves the greater mass of its lens elements to attain focus, which is why it will never be a speed demon in focusing. But on the other hand, lens designs that work this way can be smaller and produce better image quality since they don't need additional room for focusing elements, which can cut down on sharpness. Essentially, the slowness of the 20mm is part of the reason why it's so sharp.

Yeah, I looked into it a lot back when I got my GX85, the tech was touted as being especially good for tracking because it reduces the camera's need to rock back and forth to figure out which way to move the focus. In a modern lens with a fast AF motor (and a lens where only a single element is moved to attain focus) you mainly see the difference in continuous AF.

With a lens like the 20mm (which moves the whole/a lot of the lens elements to attain focus) the motor moves quite slowly in comparison. So for a fully 'dumb' contrast AF system (sorry, Olympus) the focus speed is glacial since it has to rock that slow focus motor back and forth, moving much greater mass inside the lens. DfD allows a Panny body to cut right to the correct focus by analyzing the out of focus characteristics and telling the lens which way it needs to move.

Incidentally, the Ricoh GR also moves the greater mass of its lens elements to attain focus, which is why it will never be a speed demon in focusing. But on the other hand, lens designs that work this way can be smaller and produce better image quality since they don't need additional room for focusing elements, which can cut down on sharpness. Essentially, the slowness of the 20mm is part of the reason why it's so sharp.
that's also true with the Canon 40 2.8 for FF, 24 2.8 for APS-C, and Fuji 27 2.8 AFAIK, all are sharp 40mm ish pancake lenses that move the whole lens for focusing.

This is all in my head, you should probably NOT read it (think Lemony Snickets) or think about it. The dreary mumblings of an aged photographer trying to choose between 2 good, but very different, cameras. For no particular reason, since he owns them both. You should probably just ignore this post and live a full, happy, photographic life; not be dragged into the madness that has engulfed this poor soul. You have been warned.

"Well, shoot, now it will get even MORE confusing. A big part of this Single in July 2019 for me was 'falling in love with the E-M5.2 and Lumix 20/1.7 (Version 1). I picked up the Olympus when I was attempting to repair the Lumix GX85 rear wheel myself, just in case I bricked it, and to have a weather sealed kit and to get me back to Olympus (early OM-1 adopter, back when). SiJy was going to help me make it my main kit.

It has been a struggle, as my hand/heart still wants to pick up the GX85 rather than the E-M5. I should probably thank SiJy for forcing me to confront that I really AM a minimalist. Not just in photo gear, but in dress, furnishings, and general choices about life. The GX85 has always had that appeal for me. It has always been just about the minimum obstruction between mind and shutter. I no longer am in a rush when photographing, but the Olympus has just kept me waiting - A LOT!! Add to that the focus variation with the Lumix 20, and this month has at times indeed been a 'challenge' for me.

Well, yesterday we ended the heat wave with a class 2 hurricane, but just for a couple of hours. What a way to end a heat wave!! I was slumped in front of the tube sleeping through the afternoon, when a crash shook me awake. A quick waking scan told me something had definitely hit the house, it wasn't my imagination, something BIG. I have tenants upstairs, so I was doubly concerned.

It turns out a 10" branch was ripped from one of my trees, that was the crash I felt. Fortunately, the wind carried it over the only stairway to the upstairs apartment and just far enough from the house to cause no major damage. But, I grabbed a camera to go check things out and document anything I might need for insurance or to get help in repairing the stairway and broken windows and whatever else. Thankfully, there was no major damage, but it was a good use of the E-M5.2's weather sealing. Then I decided that if the GX85 was going to die in bad weather I might as well do it deliberately and in a noble cause, So I put the 14-150 sealed lens on it and took it out into the driving rain of this mini hurricane. The GX85 had no problems as I worked about 5-6 minutes documenting the fallen mess. Dripping wet fingers need to be wiped off to work the touchscreen LCD on both cameras. And unless you point the lens down between shots, you will have raindrops on the front element, which doesn't work for photos.

So, the GX85, survived 5-6 minutes unprotected in a hurricane. So much for the "delicate electronics" and "no weather sealing". And I remember it has already survived 1 week of Portuguese beach life, and 2 months of Mexican beach life, both with daily use. And it is still calling to my minimalist self.

Single in July has not convinced me that the Olympus E-M5.2 is my new direction. I think it has confirmed that the GX85 is my "continuing mission". Shoot! I already sold my backup GX85 (since I was gonna switch back to Olympus). Now I have to decode whether to sell the Olympus for another GX85, or keep it as an "alternative". Or was I just "lucky" and should keep the Weather Sealed kit as my main and use the GX85 as my backup?

And you thought those poor children had it rough!!!

Crazy (but healed) in Colorado

Cameras are sensitive fine mechanical instruments and digital cameras with added electronics. And the same time they are sturdy little products that CAN be used in rough conditions also. With the little bit of common sense.

So my advice is, stick with the camera you have a bond with and trust your luck when it comes to the rough weather conditions. You already proved for yourself that cameras don’t break instantly in a small rain, just try to give it a shelter whenever possible and be prepared to service it afterwards.

Last few days have been really difficult without any motivation for photography whatsoever. I took a couple of snaps yesterday to hold on the challenge but this is now difficult.

And it seems I can’t find the tractor 🚜 to shoot ;)
You're in Helsinki is that correct? One of my friends went there and he sent me some videos recorded on the streets, seems to me that could be a photographer's paradise. I've read an article saying that if you don't know what to shoot, just pretend that you're a tourist, FWIW I would very much like to see more of a place as nice as Helsinki.

No real suggestions for anyone else on ways to combat the doldrums. Any of these challenges are difficult for me, whether they are just for a week, a month, or a yearly by week or month.

I'm more technical-minded than creative, and having some issues that make it difficult to get out when and where I want for landscapes and airshows just compounds the problem. But I push on, even with mundane images. Keeps me active, keeps me engaged, I'm still learning things and slowly improving in some areas, and I do sometimes get an OK image.

The activity of photography is one of the last activities I enjoy and can still do, and it helps with relaxation and stress relief. I don't much like the alternative of rolling over and giving up, so I'll keep on keeping on as long as I can, and modify things as needed along the way.

So I get to my office this morning and start to download all my pics from the weekend to my private HD. I grab the camera, take out the card, and put it in the reader. Six pictures, that's all. Nothing needed for today, but I had a number of shots of my granddaughter from the weekend trip. After five minutes of confused angst, I realize the problem. I had reached back and grabbed the Olympus EP5 that I keep in my office and left the XE3 untouched.:doh:

You're in Helsinki is that correct? One of my friends went there and he sent me some videos recorded on the streets, seems to me that could be a photographer's paradise. I've read an article saying that if you don't know what to shoot, just pretend that you're a tourist, FWIW I would very much like to see more of a place as nice as Helsinki.

You’re right, here is (in Helsinki) plenty to photograph. And I was waiting this challenge to happen during summer, nice light and green scenes.

However our ‘problems’ are self-inflicted. We are on the last mile of our renovation and it is quite stressful. Still unsure when the house will be ready to move in, and we must move now, end of July from our present apartment. At least one month in a temporary flat, all the stuff to the storage etc.

So photography isn’t right now on top of the list :(

Toy store?
I'm actually not sure if I posted a tractor pic in any of the main threads or not ... something to remedy tomorrow (I know where to find one in the evening).

Anyhow, anyone, just remember that it's not compulsory to do no other photography for the whole month (even if you're not a professional or working on assignment). I've taken a second camera (or more, sometimes) with me whenever I went out - film, compact, second body, whatever - just to have alternatives and some change from time to time. The only thing I do explicitly for the challenge is leave the SiJy setup as it is (no other lens on that body for one month) and take it with me whenever I go out.

Sort of OT (but not really, come to think of it): To make things a bit more fun today, I took out the second lens I tend to leave at home (i.e. that's not part of any of my ready-packed kits): the tiny Voigtländer 21mm f/4 VM; mounted it on the M 262 with its companion viewfinder (I only have the older switchable one that's simply huge) - so, no lens switching on the M10 involved.

DSC_2607.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It worked as intended (as it should - ever since I found out I'm better off using one of the built-in lens profiles, the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit's (non-ASPH.)). The setup looks way more unwieldy than it actually is; framing with the external finder works astonishingly well. I really hope I find the courage to use this combo during a later "Single in" month ... (remember that the M 262 doesn't have LiveView - it doesn't get more old-school than this with a digital camera, I guess). Next will be Single in April 2020 ... too easy (spring)? We'll see.

Back to the SiJy proper, I'm getting more on more accustomed to the 75mm FoV; I can previsualise quite reliably now - to the point that sometimes, I don't even take the camera out anymore to check because I know something won't fit into the somewhat narrow frame, which can be a bit frustrating at times (I gave up on a really intriguing subject and angle today because I knew I couldn't make it work). However, the SiJy combo performs very nicely overall and is way less limiting than I thought it would be - so, the challenge isn't as daunting as I feared it might become. On the other hand, the lens still feels a little too long - 60mm-e is the longest I'd choose for an everyday lens. But I know now what the lens can do - and that's a great asset.

Hang in there, folks, we've cleared the two-thirds mark, nine days to go, and if you've made it this far, congratulations. You have every reason to continue now. Just keep shooting - don't pressure yourself unduely; we all know that it can be challenging enough to have an image to post - nobody is expecting only fantastic shots!

I've been enjoying seeing everyone's work in the daily threads immensely so far - it's been another great opportunity to see lots of wonderful images and visuals; very inspiring, witty and whimsical, as always.

M.

Well, I seem to have achieved my purpose inasmuch as I am now finally feeling like the TZ90 was worth getting. I still find it a bit chunky (that tilty screen is a pest) but the output seems decent. I may keep it a bit longer. The Pentaxes though... they really need to go, or just be stored. I don't enjoy them like I used to.

I'm managing motivation levels by simply not expecting too much of myself, and like any self respecting addict, taking it one day at a time. Not planning in advance, that way lies disaster for someone like me. Just go out and go somewhere and take a photo. and if not, then find something to shoot inside or in the yard.

Just go out and go somewhere and take a photo. and if not, then find something to shoot inside or in the yard.
Not a bad approach, Sue. So far I’ve managed 4 out of 24 outside the house & garden, but I’m hoping to get a bit further afield before the end of the month. Next week looks nice, 23 degC instead of 30, so I’ll give the new hip a bit of a workout on a different walking route.

Not a bad approach, Sue. So far I’ve managed 4 out of 24 outside the house & garden, but I’m hoping to get a bit further afield before the end of the month. Next week looks nice, 23 degC instead of 30, so I’ll give the new hip a bit of a workout on a different walking route.
Glad to hear it - I find the fact that you participated in spite of it all very inspiring indeed.

As a personal note: I've said it a couple of times, I chose a very good combo for the challenge, maybe too good to be really challenging (or maybe I'm just too opportunistic), but what I can add is that only - or at least immediately - having the 75mm available has cost me quite few shots I might have got otherwise. It's not a tragedy - but today, I really missed having a long lens (or long tele zoom) on me when a huge heron alighted in the riverbed, but I had no means to take a suitable image. If anything, it made me remember just why exactly I own so much other gear; I'd've loved to have the GX9 with grip and 100-300mm II in the backpack for that - not two rangefinder cameras with fixed focal lengths, the 75mm and a 28mm to boot ... I guess I know what to pack in the near future (the :mu43: long range setup actually fits into my small walkaround backpack - it's amazing, come to think of it).

And now, to all of us: One week to go (after today, that is - good luck and good light to everyone who still have to get their image), so let's hang in there.

M.

Martin, I think you have a very good reason for being so restricted!! I'm in awe of your motivation, I'm afraid I wouldnt be so :)

Martin, I think you have a very good reason for being so restricted!! I'm in awe of your motivation, I'm afraid I wouldnt be so :)
Thanks Sue! I have to say, apart from a few twinges and a rather natty scar on my bum, I'm generally in pretty good shape. The difficult thing is stopping myself from overdoing things. Then I do know about it!

Arrived back home this afternoon from a brief holiday in our eastern mountains. Major rain the first 18 hours of our stay, followed by cool, sunny conditions. Very mild for this time of the year, even for the higher elevations. A full 30 degrees F difference between there and my home area.

We also saw many farm tractors. I didn't get a single pic, but my thoughts were with those of you in SIJ.

Back