SiJy 2019 Discussion

giphy.gif

I made sure to find one in mono for Barrie.

One thing of value which I think I got out of this challenge was a feel for when to use the GR III's hi-contrast monotone and what its limits are. I had set myself to mostly use that profile in-camera for my images, but there were a few where I branched out to the hard monotone profile, and a couple where color was definitely called for. I had some early success in using hi-contrast mono for some street stuff and wanted to explore it more, but at the same time I was kind of worried that I would overuse it. Not really a concern since I always shoot RAW, but I guess I was in danger of getting burnt out on that profile. I feel like I have a better idea of when to use it (and I want to make a similar enough profile using desktop processing so I can get more fine control of the image while still being able to give it a pleasing, film-like mono look).

I actually found this Si the easiest one I've done, mainly I think because I've found that something, however mundane, always turns up. I supposed being retired helped in that there is usually more likely to be some time during the day to look for something.
I chose the Canon G7X because it is new and I wanted to see how I got on with it. Unfortunately, although it seems a good camera and was faster than I expected I just haven't gelled with it. It hasn't given me that 'feel' for lack of a better word.
There have been so many photos that I have really liked but the real stand out for me has been those wonderful video's that Briar did. Superb.
The Si April next year will be Spring time here so could be interesting if the weather cooperates.
Now where is my GRii :D
I know what you mean about "feel", it's one of the reasons I have the X70.

I too have an x70 and love it but the GR is in a different league. I have never had another camera that is so much a part of me when I'm using it. I simply forget it's there and take pictures with it. Last time I went to Spain I only took the X70 with w/a adaptor and the GR and never wished for anything else.

I too have an x70 and love it but the GR is in a different league. I have never had another camera that is so much a part of me when I'm using it. I simply forget it's there and take pictures with it. Last time I went to Spain I only took the X70 with w/a adaptor and the GR and never wished for anything else.
I know a lot of people love the GR and the III does look interesting. But I like the tilt screen.

Thank you everyone for your kind and generous comments. When I suggested at the beginning of the challenge that I would shoot a video every day I didn’t realise what I was letting myself in for. I found it exhausting at times but surprisingly great fun. It was clear, I think, on most days that I was going out without a plan or a story to tell.

I’m looking forward to going back to my regular stills cameras. However, I do plan to shoot more video while travelling. The DJI Osmo Pocket and the DJI Mimo app make it surprisingly easy to do and the size makes it no bother to shove in the bag with your regular camera.

The only negative I have about it is the focussing range. While I could get incredible (okay a bit shaky) handheld macro footage with the filter lens. The naked lens needs me to stand further back from my picture so that my foreground is in focus. It is a great fun camera though and I have no regrets purchasing it.

I always enjoy the single in challenges. I’ve lost count how many I’ve now done. Not just because it forces me to be creative but also because this forum comes alive as we all go through the same struggle to get a picture posted up each day. It creates a real sense of community here and it’s always interesting to catch snippets of each of our daily lives through the pictures we make.

Roll on the next one ...

Once you discipline yourself as I did - only use the one set of gear (95% of the time in my case) and actively set time apart to take part - then eventually you feel as you could go another month. At the end, I rushed to go shooting with a 58mm and 35mm to offset some relief at having to think 'wide' all the time and it was nice, but instinctively the muscle memory kicked in and I was ready to continue.

The X100S is such an easy camera to use, and I'm very comfortable at that FL, so I didn't struggle with camera issues at all. Composition was my challenge. If I'm still alive and healthy at the next challenge (who knows, eh?), I plan to step out of my comfort zone and push myself . . . perhaps my old Flektogon 35mm/2.4 on the X-T2. Given my struggles with manual lenses over the past year or so, it might be a good exercise for me.

My initial idea of using the EM5 mkII with the 14-150mkII was an attempt to force myself to gel with a camera whose function I love but whose form I do not... It was also a chance to use a zoom that I bought because of its weatherproofness and all in one focal range but have actually only used it two or three times.

I was trying to get away from wide primes as they are my bread and butter, I usually “see” in 28mm and my favourite lenses on m4/3 are the PL15mm/P14mm.

On the other hand, I’d had the GRII for a couple of years but never done a solid months shooting with it although it accompanies me on most trips now and accounts for probably 70% of my photos (even though I’m packing my M4/3 gear at the same time).

The only thing I worry about with the GR is that the more I use it, the less I need (or can justify needing) my other cameras that weigh half a ton (comparitively) and don’t really give any better results...

I’ve already picked the camera for the next challenge, I won’t ruin the surprise but it’s even smaller than the Ricoh...

The challenge was mostly fun, as always, and some frustration and struggle. But I managed to crawl it through. With limited number of safeties. Didn’t follow any theme or additional limitations. Just one picture a day was enough for a challenge when renovating old villa and combining all summer activities with the family.

I tried to build bond with the Leica Q. It is very beautiful photo apparatus (IMHO), simple to use and with high quality sensor and lens. However focal length was difficult for me, and distortions of the wide lens bothered me.

After the challenge I’ve just used my Df. I have natural bond with it, maybe because I’ve started learning photography with film Nikons. I just need to practice the digital tweaks of Df. And Voigtländer 58mm Nokton F1.4 is marvel for a lens. It is just a bit larger and heavier, bummer :)

6056B01E-B4BF-4599-A176-5737FA5AA223.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Short tele is definitely challenging - or at least taxing, because sometimes, you'll simply not be able to get the shot you'd like. Looking forward to that :)

I'm not sure what to try next; I'll certainly not use 35mm or 50mm (too familiar for a challenge), nor will I go tele again this soon; it'll be a prime again, though. Might very well be the GR III I'm currently waiting for since I've never been that comfortable with 28mm ... If not that (I've found shooting the GR very rewarding in the past, to be honest), I might well pull out the trusty old V1 again, this time with the 10mm (i.e. 28mm-e). That lens has a decidedly mixed reputation - it'd be interesting to see what it can do for me. And the V1 means a limited sensor, too - and good portability (not as good as the GR III, though). But there's still such a lot of time to decide ...

M.

I enjoyed this SiJy challenge greatly. It got me forcing myself to use the E-M5.2 and start to fall back in love with the feel and operation of Olympus digital cameras. It also got me using the primes again - a useful thing. And I had a great time seeing what others were producing and being inspired by your work.
Thanks everyone!!!
Are you doing a similar thing anytime soon?

Back