SiJy 2019 Outtakes

As mentioned in Day 8 I processed the monochrome image to darken the green of the ragwort plant to make it stand out from the background. I'm posting both that image and my "normally" processed monochrome image here to show the difference. As you can see the one processed to darken the green has also darkened the woods behind. It might have been better if I hadn't darkened the green quite so much or taken steps to not apply that darkening to the woods behind, although I'm not sure how at the moment. Monochrome conversion has a lot of options and several ways of doing it, but can be very versatile.

1020150.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190708-1020150.jpg

Barrie

As mentioned in Day 8 I processed the monochrome image to darken the green of the ragwort plant to make it stand out from the background. I'm posting both that image and my "normally" processed monochrome image here to show the difference. As you can see the one processed to darken the green has also darkened the woods behind. It might have been better if I hadn't darkened the green quite so much or taken steps to not apply that darkening to the woods behind, although I'm not sure how at the moment. Monochrome conversion has a lot of options and several ways of doing it, but can be very versatile.

View attachment 201259

View attachment 201260

Barrie
If you did that in Lightroom you can do it with an adjustment brush, and restrict the changes to a defined luminosity range. So the ragwort would get darkened, but not the already dark trees.

A tractor! Alright, it’s distant and not in focus as I was using the clear image zoom, which is a bit hit and miss... but definitely a nice bright green tractor :D , possibly one of those new fangled ones with the cab over to one side.

Martin, I'm not sure if it isn't one of those lifting things for stacking bales and the like rather than a full blown tractor. Never mind, full points for effort but perhaps you only score half for results. :LOL: Hopefully this means you are gradually getting more mobile, I'm sure we all hope so, good luck with progress in that direction.

Barrie

Last edited:
If you did that in Lightroom you can do it with an adjustment brush, and restrict the changes to a defined luminosity range. So the ragwort would get darkened, but not the already dark trees.

I don't use Lightroom, indeed I normally use RawTherapee, but I think there's an adjustment brush in ACR under Photoshop which is I think the same engine as runs Lightroom (open to correction by those in the know). My ACR is well out of date camera wise, it handles raw from GF1 but anything past GH2 and I have to convert them to DNG's so as you can see Adobe is not my main form of attack.

p.s. I've had another go at editing the image with ACR in Photoshop and have used the adjustment brush hence limiting the minus green effect to the ragwort rather than applying it globally and it has worked, I've retained detail in the distant wood behind the ragwort. Many thanks Martin.

Barrie

Last edited:
Intriguing. I just use the Guided transform all the time in Lightroom, it allows perfectly horizontal and vertical lines where I want them. I took the liberty of applying a guided transform to your picture, like so. Not completely sure about the horizontal correction but that's how I'd do it anyway. And yes, I like the picture!

View attachment 201217
Thanks for the proof of concept, even though I think some of the problems I saw remain - in the right part of the image (the gate ...); I'll try it myself with different software; besides, I think I had a similar problem today - I'll look into that as well.

N.B. I don't use any paid Adobe products, anyway. Just a personal decision, I'm not into feeding monopolistic brands any money if I can avoid it (it's bad enough I have to use Microsoft software at work).

EDIT: Today's image was too distorted to do much about it - but I think I should be able to do something about the chair image ...

M.

Last edited:
Okay, that's kind of annoying, but not too bad as such. Full disclosure: I usually really like what Polarr gives me very quickly and easily, but it's a limited piece of software (not extremely limited, just not as fully featured as other apps). This time, I used darktable (on my GNU/Linux laptop). Should have done that anyway ...

So, here goes:

LM101811.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll post today's outtakes a little later than intended (i.e. not now) - weather's just cleared up a bit, I'll take the camera out with me once more.

M.

Back