SiJy 2019 Outtakes

And here's the one with the better sky, but not as nice reflections:
_DSF7391.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• _DSF7391.jpg
    _DSF7391.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 159
While taking shelter for the thunderstorm during my bike ride. Too bad there's a pole growing out of the girl's head :(.

S01-20190720-004.jpg

Sun coming back after the thunderstorm. Nice blue sky and some color, but altogether too messy and no real subject.

S02-20190720-022.jpg

Last edited:
While taking shelter for the thunderstorm during my bike ride. Too bad there's a pole growing out of the girl's head :(.

I do like the blurred girl in the rain, even with the pole.

To me, the "photographer's rules" don't apply to an in the moment shot. You're not shooting a portrait where more things are in your control. This is the scene as the moment happened. In this case, where she is makes the best composition to me. Which looks to be in the "rule of thirds rule". As for the pole growing out of her head. To take a quote from Joe Edelman, "the only people who point out these things are other photographers."

To me, the "photographer's rules" don't apply to an in the moment shot. You're not shooting a portrait where more things are in your control. This is the scene as the moment happened. In this case, where she is makes the best composition to me. Which looks to be in the "rule of thirds rule". As for the pole growing out of her head. To take a quote from Joe Edelman, "the only people who point out these things are other photographers."
Well, thanks for pointing that out. I must say that I like the shot myself, but in my mind I indeed could hear my fellow photographers comment on the pole :).

My Day 20 Outtake.
"Into the Storm". Taken as I went outside to see what had happened to shake the house so badly. A 10" branch had been ripped from a tree in the driving rain. I have tenants living upstairs, so I needed to assess damage immediately.
20-7208199.jpg

An interesting note, I grabbed a WR setup to go out in this storm. But after a few minutes, I decided that if the GX85 was going to be tested, this was as good a situation as any. So I put a WR lens on it and brought it out in these same conditions, without any special treatment, for about 5-6 minutes of shooting.
NO PROBLEM. Well, both cameras had trouble with dripping fingers on the touchscreens, but simply wiping some of the excess off my hand had them both recognizing touches again.
The GX85 is NOT considered WR, but mine has survived moths of daily use living on a beach, weeks of daily use in humid SE Thailand, 5 ft free falls onto solid granite twice, and now what was classified as a micro hurricane.
VERY INTERESTING. I post this because I have looked for similar anecdotes and have been unable to find any. My GX85 survived 5-6 minutes unprotected shooting in the hurricane you see above. I used the 14-150 because I don't care about it as much. I would need to gather more courage to put the 12-32 through such a test.

Last edited:
Back