Micro 4/3 Silicon Skins for Micro 4/3 cameras

wolfie

Veteran
It seems odd that a go-everywhere-with-you-all-the-time camera has no protective skin available for any of either O or P cameras (or Sony or Samsung ILCs). Or am I wrong?:confused:
It cant be complexity, as the shape of the PEN and GF1/2 are such simple basic boxes unlike a DSLR, for which many have skins that are commonly sold for as little as 40.00 U$. What's going on?:mad:

482715.jpg

I'm staying away from M43 until they either make WR body and lenses, or I can get some sort of protective cover that isn't a scuba diving shoe box.

mmmm yes I'd like one too ... though when I wanted to go out one evening in the pouring rain for a rare foray into street photography, I wrapped my E-P2 up in clingfilm with just the front element of the pancake lens uncovered!

A weather-resistant cover is all

is what I'm after. I did try the plastic wrap and tape on a Powershot G10 - and it died from water intrusion, so I'm keen to see a properly designed solution. With all the plastics and silicon materials available this should be a cheap, no-brainer product as I said above - even a complicated shape for a much larger DSLR skin for a nikon D7000 is 40.00.
Now I'm googling how make silicon molds so maybe it'll have to be a home-made job for now.
I am amazed that camera manufacturers seemed to have completely ignored this technology to protect their cameras - it is apparently cheap and easy - so why not offer skins as a standard accessory rather than silly things like bluetooth wi-fi modules?:tongue:

is what I'm after. I did try the plastic wrap and tape on a Powershot G10 - and it died from water intrusion, so I'm keen to see a properly designed solution. With all the plastics and silicon materials available this should be a cheap, no-brainer product as I said above - even a complicated shape for a much larger DSLR skin for a nikon D7000 is 40.00.
Now I'm googling how make silicon molds so maybe it'll have to be a home-made job for now.
I am amazed that camera manufacturers seemed to have completely ignored this technology to protect their cameras - it is apparently cheap and easy - so why not offer skins as a standard accessory rather than silly things like bluetooth wi-fi modules?:tongue:

totally agree! I've been looking around for a decent form of protection that's smaller than an underwater housing (takes away the entire concept of a compact camera) but less clumsy (and more shock-resistant) than an aquapack or similar solution. They exist for small point & shoots, they exist for DSLRs, but not for serious fixed-lens compacts or mirrorless cameras. ¡No comprendo! :(

Uber-water cover rather than Under-water

With apologies to German-speaking viewers!
I suppose another way to say it is a weather-proof cover -which should be so simple given modern technology (not even that modern - plastic and silicon been in consumer use for decades now). Some of the rain covers available are laughable when you consider that a silicon skin could the same job and virtually not increase the camera's size.
The only justification I can think of is camera heat build up, especially with live-viewing LCDs, but that doesnt seem to be an issue for the DSLR covers available.

None of the silicon skins I have seen will provide water resistance - they are more to protect the camera against scratches, light knocks and dirt. But even dirt can get in, as I found with my Fuji F30 skin. Dirt slowly made its way through the lens opening and accumulated underneath. Skins typically have holes for mode dials, mic holes, and other buttons or dials that need direct access, so water and dirt can get in there as well. I once took my F30 to the snow, and was horrified to see snowflakes melting on the lens barrel!

Having said this, I would rather have a camera in a skin than not, especially if it had a nice shiny finish, or seemed fragile. I am still looking for a skin for my Canon S90, which would not doubt improve handling and grip immensely.

Two part solution

Hi Archiver,
Yes a skin with openings will allow water, dust, sand intrusion, so the answers are:

Make the skin to completely encapsulate with appropriate bits to allow button operation (cant see dials working under a skin).

or

with a semi-open skin, first the encapsulate the camera with a plastic film/bag and then stretch the skin over the top to hold it in place and as well as provide extra protection.
I think the second option is more workable for a DIY approach, but still cant see why a manufacturer cannot do the encapsulating skin.

camera-armor.jpg

Two part solution

Hi Archiver,
Yes a skin with openings will allow water, dust, sand intrusion, so the answers are:

Make the skin to completely encapsulate with appropriate bits to allow button operation (cant see dials working under a skin).

or

with a semi-open skin, first the encapsulate the camera with a plastic film/bag and then stretch the skin over the top to hold it in place and as well as provide extra protection.
I think the second option is more workable for a DIY approach, but still cant see why a manufacturer cannot do the encapsulating skin.
So what is the IP rating for the cover? I think you will find that these types of covers lull you into a false sense of security. If you need waterPROOFing then a "skinned" DSLR will disappoint you.

So what is the IP rating for the cover? I think you will find that these types of covers lull you into a false sense of security. If you need waterPROOFing then a "skinned" DSLR will disappoint you.
With most of them having big holes in them I would think that people who use them are with the intent to help out with the occasional bumps and scratches rather than any type of liquid prevention. 🤔

So what. There are many similar threads that are aged. Just trying to stir thye pot.

The point is, you were asking a question and directing a comment to someone who was (and is) no longer active on the forum. I was letting you know in case you hadn't noticed. As you can see (over 13 months since your other post) he still hasn't responded.

Sorry if that offended you.

I'm staying away from M43 until they either make WR body and lenses, or I can get some sort of protective cover that isn't a scuba diving shoe box.
When you read his last statement, this seems like a strange thing. I mean, Olympus does make m43 WR bodies and lenses, right? I guess maybe they didn't back in 2011? He's probably still walking the earth looking for that skin...

Back