Single In Single in April (SiA) 2024 - discussion thread

I know I am very late, but have been lacking in shooting confidence, or even taking the camera out for a few months.

I moved areas in August, and while there is always subjects, I have missed the proximity to the sea more than I thought i would.

Added to that, one of my favourite walking places became contaminated for me after my little dog was attacked, and I thought he would die in front of me.

He has made an incredible recovery in all ways but I feel frozen when I see bigger dogs who might, but probably aren't, a threat.

I am aware of the need and desire to get out more - actually managed to take the dog to a public walk place today, so I am wondering if I can join late?

Because I haven't been shooting, want to make it easy: Olympus M5 III and Olympus 12 - 100 f 4.

If too late - I am accepting.

I know I am very late, but have been lacking in shooting confidence, or even taking the camera out for a few months.

I moved areas in August, and while there is always subjects, I have missed the proximity to the sea more than I thought i would.

Added to that, one of my favourite walking places became contaminated for me after my little dog was attacked, and I thought he would die in front of me.

He has made an incredible recovery in all ways but I feel frozen when I see bigger dogs who might, but probably aren't, a threat.

I am aware of the need and desire to get out more - actually managed to take the dog to a public walk place today, so I am wondering if I can join late?

Because I haven't been shooting, want to make it easy: Olympus M5 III and Olympus 12 - 100 f 4.

Rose, see the announcement thread! Welcome aboard!

M.

And I thought yesterday was bad weather 🙄
The rain turned on snow during the night. Chilly and couple of centimetres snow. Winter came back 🥶

IMG_4762.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal and can commiserate after I myself was savagely attacked by a large ridgeback (completely unprovoked) in a street parallel to where I live.
That anxiety and fear remains with you for a long time.

I'm glad to see you joining; maybe this will push you to get out and about in your new environment and I look forward to seeing your pictures

Well the first week is done. Work has been a bit painful in regards to the commute. In past single ins I'd typically have spots to stop by on my ride home, but with the hour and a half plus drive I've been doing for the last month and a half there's little time to stop anywhere. Weehawken NJ, USA which is across the river from NYC where I'm working definitely has potential for urban type shots, but doing a walk after work would only add to time sitting in traffic.

First world problems.... I probably shouldn't complain...

I need to explore the GX 85's settings to remember what I forgot. Currently it's monochrme settings have a very cool (colorwise) look. The above shot with the GX 8, also in monochrme, is what I prefer.
A couple of years ago when I did a boatload of monochrme, I recall that there were two different ways to get there and one was better.

It's a long time since I felt I was struggling somewhat during on of these challenges - nevertheless, it's the case this time around.

Interestingly, the point appears to be that my combo is actually a bit too predictable: Apart from a certain propensity to flare (red), the lens is a much better tool than I thought it would be. When I last picked a cheap fast lens (interestingly, a stablemate of my current pick, the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II for APS-C), I had to make it work; this one, I only have to shoot ...

I don't know if that makes any sense, but I'd like it better if the lens forced me to not think as I usually do. It's not a problem to see the challenge through technically, though. The combo certainly feels right. But honestly, I'm already getting kind of bored; I'm actually itching to switch gear.

So, this time around, I guess I'll have to show some backbone ;)

M.

We've got a predicament. We have a storm brewing, Orange level 9 warning. The wind is already insane with rain predicted Sunday into Tuesday.

For the last 5 hours our road has lost power. A contractor came to look and found the fault in the substation two houses down from us, but were not equipped to fix it and had to put a call in to the Civic centre. Being late on a stormy Saturday night we don't have any idea how long this outage might last.

So no computer for me and I'll be conserving phone battery, so I won't be online much

I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal and can commiserate after I myself was savagely attacked by a large ridgeback (completely unprovoked) in a street parallel to where I live.
That anxiety and fear remains with you for a long time.

I'm glad to see you joining; maybe this will push you to get out and about in your new environment and I look forward to seeing your pictures

Thanks Irene. It has helped actually, although I'm still reluctant to go back to the lake where the attack happened. I hope you made a good recovery. They are big dogs.

The one thing this week has reminded me of is the quirkiness of the AF (autofocusing) on my little Fuji XF10. Sometimes it focuses quickly and precisely, other times it goes through an elaborate (and slightly irritating) process of focusing and refocusing itself before it decides where the focus is or should be. I'm guessing there are simple solutions, but the camera itself is sooo easy to operate that, to be honest, I've never devoted much thought to these questions. But I intend to...

This coming week, I'll be traveling to a different country and different time zone (Mexico City) so I suspect there will be a day or two when it will be a challenge to post. The good news is that since I only shoot in film simulation jpegs with most of my Fujis, it's surprisingly easy to get really nice SOOC shots which then transfer easily to my iPhone for posting purposes. But I will say there are times when the output of this little fixed (28mm equivalent) Fujinon lens is everything I hoped it would be...and sometimes a bit more.

It's also both energizing and inspiring and truly fascinating to see everyone else's work, for many reasons. I've been especially enjoying @Matero's accompanying short explanatory paragraphs, about the history and/or evolution of various different Helsinki neighborhoods, which I've been loving.

So, life happened again, I have to hop off this single in. Another hospital stay for my family member and shit, so I just do not have the energy or mind to participate.
You have my sympathy, Charlotte. I certainly can relate.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery of all involved - and for as little hassle as possible along the way ...

M.

Back