Single In "Single in" challenges: concept and schedule

Name
Matt
Newcomers: Look at this post first.

In order to have a more permanent place for an ongoing discussion about proceedings, I've created this thread.

To reiterate: Once upon a time, "Single in" challenges were held once a year, though at a kind of irregular rhythm that took them from October to January; over time, other rhythms were proposed, of which a nine-month cycle was established a couple of years back in order to give everyone the opportunity to provide images of all seasons: January - October - July - April. However, this means that the cycle repeats after two years already, making it kind of hard to keep the diversity of image matter high.

This is why I proposed a new, seven-month cycle that'd allow for all months being visited over a cycle of seven years. If, as planned, we start in February 2022, we'd get:

Jan​
Feb​
Mar​
Apr​
May​
Jun​
Jul​
Aug​
Sep​
Okt​
Nov​
Dec​
x
x
x
2024​
x
x​
2025​
x​
2026​
x​
x​
2027​
x​
x​
2028​
x​
x​
2029​
x​

Starting with February has the advantage that we've never had a "SiF" ("Single in February") before, so it'd get things moving right away. Besides, most years - five out of seven - would see two "Single in" challenges instead of only two out of four; this meets a frequent request without overdoing it for most people.

So, if I see no strong objections, I'd suggest this route going forward. There are other ways, of course, but no other is quite as elegant - and to be honest, seven months is the tightest rhythm I can imagine for myself as a host ... Of course, a lot can happen in seven years, but as of now, I intend to keep things rolling.

N.B. The new schedule is now implemented!

M.

Last edited:
In order to have a more permanent place for an ongoing discussion about proceedings, I've created this thread.

To reiterate: Once upon a time, "Single in" challenges were held once a year, though at a kind of irregular rhythm that took them from October to January; over time, other rhythms were proposed, of which a nine-month cycle was established a couple of years back in order to give everyone the opportunity to provide images of all seasons: January - October - July - April. However, this means that the cycle repeats after two years already, making it kind of hard to keep the diversity of image matter high.

This is why I proposed a new, seven-month cycle that'd allow for all months being visited over a cycle of seven years. If, as planned, we start in February 2022, we'd get:

Jan​
Feb​
Mar​
Apr​
May​
Jun​
Jul​
Aug​
Sep​
Okt​
Nov​
Dec​
x
2023​
x​
x​
2024​
x​
x​
2025​
x​
2026​
x​
x​
2027​
x​
x​
2028​
x​
x​
2029​
x​

Starting with February has the advantage that we've never had a "SiF" ("Single in February") before, so it'd get things moving right away. Besides, most years - five out of seven - would see two "Single in" challenges instead of only two out of four; this meets a frequent request without overdoing it for most people.

So, if I see no strong objections, I'd suggest this route going forward. There are other ways, of course, but no other is quite as elegant - and to be honest, seven months is the tightest rhythm I can imagine for myself as a host ... Of course, a lot can happen in seven years, but as of now, I intend to keep things rolling.

M.

P.S. I've already decided on my gear for the next challenge - if nothing new and exciting comes along, I'm set :)
Sorry Matt, being a bit slow on the uptake, I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Please will you explain what I would have to do to participate! Thank you.

@Charzes44 No need to apologise! It was one of the purposes of this thread to spread the word because we've had a lot of new members joining this year!

A "Single in" challenge lasts for a month - you pick one specific camera, one specific lens to shoot and post one single image from that combo for each single day of the month. You can apply even more restrictions for yourself, too - some of us *only* shoot the chosen setup for the whole month or follow a theme.

There are daily threads to which all participants, to the best of their abilities, add one image per day; there also are sidecar threads for outtakes and discussion. The image is shot, processed and posted on the same day if at all possible, though posting later is allowed if the situation demands it - after all, life happens.

People tend to find different aspects of the challenge especially trying - but generally, being forced to post daily is the most demanding one for most members. *Only* being allowed the one setup for a whole month proved impossible or too restrictive for some (myself included - I keep two daily challenges going during "Single in" months, so I want to be able to at least pick whatever works best for the "Today" challenge), so this rule was dropped. Some still do it this way, though - mostly to get to the bottom of what a piece of kit (a lens, most often, but sometimes a camera) can really do, and it's a really good way to do that!

The last "Single in" challenge was in July 2022 during which we discussed the upsides and downsides of the current rhythm as laid out above - hende the proposal to adjust it.

M.

@Charzes44 No need to apologise! It was one of the purposes of this thread to spread the word because we've had a lot of new members joining this year!

A "Single in" challenge lasts for a month - you pick one specific camera, one specific lens to shoot and post one single image from that combo for each single day of the month. You can apply even more restrictions for yourself, too - some of us *only* shoot the chosen setup for the whole month or follow a theme.

There are daily threads to which all participants, to the best of their abilities, add one image per day; there also are sidecar threads for outtakes and discussion. The image is shot, processed and posted on the same day if at all possible, though posting later is allowed if the situation demands it - after all, life happens.

People tend to find different aspects of the challenge especially trying - but generally, being forced to post daily is the most demanding one for most members. *Only* being allowed the one setup for a whole month proved impossible or too restrictive for some (myself included - I keep two daily challenges going during "Single in" months, so I want to be able to at least pick whatever works best for the "Today" challenge), so this rule was dropped. Some still do it this way, though - mostly to get to the bottom of what a piece of kit (a lens, most often, but sometimes a camera) can really do, and it's a really good way to do that!

The last "Single in" challenge was in July 2022 during which we discussed the upsides and downsides of the current rhythm as laid out above - hende the proposal to adjust it.

M.
I have one body, Fujifilm X-T3, so no problem there! Would my 18-55mm zoom lens qualify as being the single lens, or should it be a prime in order to maintain the spirit of the concept?

I have one body, Fujifilm X-T3, so no problem there! Would my 18-55mm zoom lens qualify as being the single lens, or should it be a prime in order to maintain the spirit of the concept?
Zooms are fine, though some feel it's much more rewarding to use a prime for the challenge (myself included) because it forces you to pre-visualise more accurately, to actually *make* an image instead of just taking it. But I think it's a good idea to pick a zoom the first time around because it opens up more opportunities and thus can help mitigate the stress. However, the original purpose of learning the ins and outs of a piece of kit - usually a lens - can be better served by picking a prime; in my book, it'd take longer than month to "learn" a zoom ...

I've used all sorts of lenses myself, even compact cameras, some at preset focal lengths (I remember shooting a Canon S95 at its 35mm equivalent for a whole month). But I *have* used zooms. This time, I won't - I'm planning on going back to a lens I've sort of neglected ever since clearly superior options came along ... But it's a bit too early to definitely announce that - we'll see what happens during the next three weeks.

M.

Last edited:
Zooms are fine, though some feel it's much more rewarding to use a prime for the challenge (myself included) because it forces you to pre-visualise more accurately, to actually *make* an image instead of just taking it. But I think it's a good idea to pick a zoom the first time around because it opens up more opportunities and thus can help mitigate the stress. However, the original purpose of learning the ins and outs of a piece of kit - usually a lens - can be better served by picking a prime; in my book, it'd take longer than month to "learn" a zoom ...

I've used all sorts of lenses myself, even compact cameras, some at preset focal lengths (I remember shooting a Canon S95 at its 35mm equivalent for a whole month). But I *have* used zooms. This time, I won't - I'm planning on going back to a lens I've sort of neglected ever since clearly superior options came along ... But it's a bit too early to definitely announce that - we'll see what happens during the next three weeks.

M.
Thank you for clarifying that Matt.

I thoroughly enjoyed the single-in I participated in previously (SiO’21). I’ve had some major health issues the past 6 months so haven’t been able to shoot or really even be online much (wanted to do SiJuly’22 but had too much medical stuff going on). But I’m finally ”on the mend” and have been hoping another of these might come along soon. I used to be in a camera club that did these experiences frequently - they can be great exercises to really learn a piece of gear, as well as for “learning to see”/visualization, as Matt said.

The 7-month cycle outlined above looks great to me, Matt - really reasonable and well thought out!

I’m one who prefers to use a single prime for this sort of exercise - in my case I’ll use a prime I’ve recently acquired but have hardly had a chance to use, for this next one. It’s a focal length I use often, but I want to learn how this lens behaves in different circumstances, so I’ll shoot a variety of situations. Such a great way to really get familiar with a new piece of gear.

For zoom users who want to use the exercise as an educational tool for visualization, just picking a single focal length within a zoom is also a great option. Like just shooting an 18-55 at 55-only for the month. Though I appreciate that that might be too limiting for some.

In any regard, thanks for organizing, Matt!

After SIJ I concluded I wouldn't need to do that again but... it reminds me of a time when two friends and I got lost hiking in the desert of Northern Mexico at the time it didn't seem like a lot of fun but in retrospect I am so glad it happened I would probably do it again, and since I have a little more insight I will be there if circumstances allow as it is a great learning experience. My first thought was no manual focus lens this time but that did add to the challenge and I learned a lot about that lens but I have a portrait lens and a macro that I could use some time with also. Glad we have a month to contemplate.

I will echo Don's comments, about appreciating your proposed (7 year) cycle, Matt - but I also have to slightly echo Charles's comment, since I occasionally find myself a bit "slow on the uptake" as well, and looking at the cool spreadsheet/diagram, I couldn't help wondering if I truly understood the algorithmic reasoning governing it, in spite of admiring it immensely. And... I'd love to participate this February. Right now I'm leaning towards one of my favorite combos, the GX9 plus my (DJI-branded) PL15, and probably shooting only in monochrome (since the Lumix has my favorite in-camera black & white simulation of all time, l.monochrome.d). My own work/travel schedule may cause a few hiccups but I'll do my best. And... THANK YOU, Matt, for creating this thread - and for the mathematically lovely Cycle at its heart, which appeals to at least one side of my brain ;)

I will echo Don's comments, about appreciating your proposed (7 year) cycle, Matt - but I also have to slightly echo Charles's comment, since I occasionally find myself a bit "slow on the uptake" as well, and looking at the cool spreadsheet/diagram, I couldn't help wondering if I truly understood the algorithmic reasoning governing it, in spite of admiring it immensely. And... I'd love to participate this February. Right now I'm leaning towards one of my favorite combos, the GX9 plus my (DJI-branded) PL15, and probably shooting only in monochrome (since the Lumix has my favorite in-camera black & white simulation of all time, l.monochrome.d). My own work/travel schedule may cause a few hiccups but I'll do my best. And... THANK YOU, Matt, for creating this thread - and for the mathematically lovely Cycle at its heart, which appeals to at least one side of my brain ;)
I think my explanation was too complicated, then ...

If we do a "Single in" challenge every seven months, we'll hit *every* single month over a seven-year period. That's all that there's to it.

I do like the elegance of the resulting pattern, but that wasn't what I was aiming for, really - it's a side effect of wanting to cycle through each and every month in a reasonably short time without overloading the schedule for anyone.

Anyhow, I think you'll all get used to it, and I'll only have to fear 2028 (when we hit May *and* December - my two most busy months, traditionally).

M.

I think my explanation was too complicated, then ...

If we do a "Single in" challenge every seven months, we'll hit *every* single month over a seven-year period. That's all that there's to it.

I do like the elegance of the resulting pattern, but that wasn't what I was aiming for, really - it's a side effect of wanting to cycle through each and every month in a reasonably short time without overloading the schedule for anyone.

Anyhow, I think you'll all get used to it, and I'll only have to fear 2028 (when we hit May *and* December - my two most busy months, traditionally).

M.

I have to respectfully disagree, Matt: your explanation was NOT too complicated. The complications came from my own temporarily non-functioning neurons, due to an earlier 48 hour marathon writing session, attempting to finish both some edits and the creation of a new scene, which finally blossomed forth on the page. But an unintended side effect of all that was to temporarily return my intellectual functioning capability to that of a relatively slow Neanderthal. Upon rereading your post, it actually makes total sense.

I also agree that the resulting pattern has a real elegance to it - which makes the whole concept even more appealing :2thumbs:

Sounds fine to me. Thanks to @Bob T for letting me know about this thread. I haven't been online a whole lot in recent weeks.
As of now, I'm in. Not sure what body / lens combo yet though.
I'll certainly do a big announcement around the 15th January - this thread was only meant to be for preliminary discussion; I'm happy to note that it's already shaping up nicely, though :)

M.

I'll certainly do a big announcement around the 15th January - this thread was only meant to be for preliminary discussion; I'm happy to note that it's already shaping up nicely, though :)

M.
That's good. There will be plenty of time to think. I may be away from but will still have access to the internet. I am very keen, though.

Back