Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - Day 10

My goodness. WHY did you post this ?!?! Backstory - I'm a huge Alan Stivell fan from back in 1978 when I saw him play in several small venues in Brittany.
Fast forward - one of his hugest hits is Tri Martolod (three sailors). Then along came Manau and took the same melody (arguably traditional, but there was quite some upheaval!)
and added their own lyrics which are a huge story of courage and war and becoming king etc etc which has now, on its own feet, become a massive Breton anthem.
And I love it - I love them both, the Stivell 'original' as well as this one :)

Link to my Instagram pic of him here
I didn't know any of this - I've known the Manau song since it came out and became popular (and I was still listening to hit radio ...). Alan Stivell, of them all ... Thanks for sharing this piece of information!

I was (am?) seriously thinking about visiting Le Festival Interceltique de Lorient this year for the second time; but I'm honestly not sure if I can make it, so it'd be a bit of a gamble to buy tickets (or a pass) ...

M.

Last edited:
10. "The Two Shadowy Figures"

2023-02-10_1107_L1009807.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My goodness. WHY did you post this ?!?! Backstory - I'm a huge Alan Stivell fan from back in 1978 when I saw him play in several small venues in Brittany.
Fast forward - one of his hugest hits is Tri Martolod (three sailors). Then along came Manau and took the same melody (arguably traditional, but there was quite some upheaval!)
and added their own lyrics which are a huge story of courage and war and becoming king etc etc which has now, on its own feet, become a massive Breton anthem.
And I love it - I love them both, the Stivell 'original' as well as this one :)

Link to my Instagram pic of him here

I almost saw Alain Stivell in Paris in 1974 but couldn't quite make it. And I'm with you on this, Irene - Tri Martolod is such a great song - but this newer version, with the same melody, is rather awesome too. Great music - and serious thanks to Matt (@MoonMind) for posting this today.

P.S. your Instagram photo of monsieur Stivell is very cool!

Last edited:
I didn't know any of this - I've known the Manau song since it came out and became popular (and I was still listening to hit radio ...). Alan Stivell, of them all ... Thanks for sharing this piece of information!

I was (am?) seriously thinking about visiting Le Festival Interceltique de Lorient this year for the second time; but I'm honestly not sure if I can make it, so it'd be a bit of a gamble to buy tickets (or a pass) ...

M.
In 1978 (my gap year spent hitch hiking around the Celtic lands with backpack and guitar) I worked at the Lorient festival and got free lunches as payment.

Back