Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - day 14

IMGP2835.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We had a series of storms passing over South-Eastern Queensland this afternoon. Prior to the storms hitting, an enterprising little spider built a web across part of my driveway. After the storms had passed through, I was surprised to see that the web was still there, although the spider had taken cover elsewhere:

OM1G5298.jpg

So while Cyclone Gabrielle has been ravaging NZ, I have been very lucky where I am, Just a few kms away people have been flooded out of their homes .... I was completely unaware as we had a power outage, which continues for many people, and also a cell phone outage. I am buying a little battery powered radio tomorrow.

So in the meanwhile, as it is not safe to venture too far outdoors - my storm damaged tomatoes.

P2140020 Heirloom tomatoes.jpg

We had a series of storms passing over South-Eastern Queensland this afternoon. Prior to the storms hitting, an enterprising little spider built a web across part of my driveway. After the storms had passed through, I was surprised to see that the web was still there, although the spider had taken cover elsewhere:

View attachment 365949

From what I have heard spider webs are very strong, despite the fragile appearance.

So while Cyclone Gabrielle has been ravaging NZ, I have been very lucky where I am, Just a few kms away people have been flooded out of their homes .... I was completely unaware as we had a power outage, which continues for many people, and also a cell phone outage. I am buying a little battery powered radio tomorrow.

So in the meanwhile, as it is not safe to venture too far outdoors - my storm damaged tomatoes.

View attachment 365950
Don't throw away the split ones Rose, they are delicious cooked/grilled! I wish you well through these stormy times.

View attachment 365950
One of my sisters lives on Auckland's North Shore. I was speaking to her earlier this afternoon and she has had much the same experience of Gabrielle as you have. There are pockets which appear to have escaped relatively unscathed. They had a brief power failure last night. The only way she knew that they had had a power failure was that the microwave's clock had reset. Earlier today, she and my sister-in-law's older sister went for a walk around the Browns Bay area. Very little signs of damage. A few fallen tree branches, but that was about it. Contrast that with the flooding, landslips and other destruction that is being reported elsewhere on the North Island.

One of my sisters lives on Auckland's North Shore. I was speaking to her earlier this afternoon and she has had much the same experience of Gabrielle as you have. There are pockets which appear to have escaped relatively unscathed. They had a brief power failure last night. The only way she knew that they had had a power failure was that the microwave's clock had reset. Earlier today, she and my sister-in-law's older sister went for a walk around the Browns Bay area. Very little signs of damage. A few fallen tree branches, but that was about it. Contrast that with the flooding, landslips and other destruction that is being reported elsewhere on the North Island.

Yes - utter devastation in some places. Some of us have been so lucky to miss all that!

Valentine's Day

Today I'm making an exception to my sepia series, Valentine's Day February 14, 2023.
I don't normally participate in this kind of commercial, sentimental stuff, but hey, we're getting old.

The hamster like this doll, play a major role in commercials on television of the largest supermarket in the Netherlands, in Dutch it's also called a hamster and since the commercials in which they appear are always about discount offers in the supermarket, the Dutch word 'hamsteren' (meaning: hoarding/to scrape together) has meanwhile become a synonym for discount and special offers at this chain of supermarkets, these cute talking - walking - jumping figures in advertising have been a great success for years.

Last edited:
Back