Single In Single in February (SiF) 2023 - day 2

IMGP2233.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Didn't manage to get any really decent photos today. This evening I went out with my brother, sister-in-law and an old friend to celebrate the friend's birthday. A fun evening and we were the last to leave the restaurant. As we walked off, I snapped off a quick pic of the owner and his staff tidying up. Pity about the column in the way.

The food was good. The ambience was great. The staff were friendly. We will be back.

OM1G5129.jpg

Did some quick shopping today, including these red, sweet peppers for the freezer. Lighting is 1 halogen (countertop) spot of 40 watts straight from above, camera handheld. Been experimenting a bit with plug-ins, like this 'Dream Smoothing' for an impressionist effect, sepia tint via PaintNet.

Last edited:
Ugly, day 2.

My view looking into the small galley kitchen. Yes, the trash is visible. Ready to go, still waiting to hear the trash truck make the rounds and empty the apartment dumpsters.
original.jpg

Where that stack of stuff is on the floor is where I had a large (too large for this size kitchen) cart. The cart blocked access to the lower cabinets and limited access to the drawers. The cart and convection oven, along with some of my pots & pans and cooking tools, have already gone to donation.

The small wheeled cooler and weights for my therapy exercises will stay in the kitchen until I have enough space cleared out somewhere else in the apartment. The CD holders and other flotsam came out of the small bookcase to make room for (gasp) books. Still making decisions of what to keep and what goes away. Boxes of canned veggies will get opened and the cans put into rotation as I get time.

Skinny glasses were a gift to my Mom I picked up in Venice back in '79, still thinking about what I'm going to do with those. Will probably keep the coasters, just need to find space for them. The stack of papers and stuff is my monthly routine of going through junk mail and pulling personal info for shredding, balancing accounts, organizing papers for filing, and making sure the month's calendar and appointment books are synched. Once done, that stuff will be off the shelf. Until next month.

Problems with this kitchen that don't help me dealing with clutter... lack of counter space, lack of useable cabinet space, limited and very small (too small) drawers.

Lower cabinets only have stuff I don't use, or rarely use, and will most likely be sold/ donated. I need to find some sort of flat-bottomed plastic tubs I can use as makeshift slides so I can use the lower cabinets. My lower back, hips and knees curse me every time I have to dig into the cabinets.

Upper cabinets aren't very deep. They have fixed shelves with heights that don't accommodate much in the way of food, dishes, etc... For example, I cannot stack 2 cans of veggies on a shelf, and I have to lay most food boxes on their sides as they won't fit standing up, and a dinner plate barely fits on a shelf without hitting the back wall and the door.

Goals for the kitchen. Finish going through my monthly paperwork and get it off the counter (done every month regardless). Go through the stuff on the floor from the small bookcase and get it dealt with. I have a bottle holder that should hold my insulated water bottles between use, need to re-arrange things to fit into a cabinet. Have a small carousel (lazy Susan thingie) I need to try to sort and store spices in the cabinets, should be easier to find spices than pulling spices out to see what's in the back of the cabinet. If it works I'll get another and try it with my meds. Find a pot rack that will work for me in this small space, get it on the wall, and get the pots, pans and lids off the stovetop. Go through pots, pans, cooking tools again and further reduce the amount of stuff I have. Find something to use as slides for the lower cabinets. Not sure the last three will happen this month.

Honestly, IMHO the kitchen area needs the least amount of work, I'm limited on what I can do by the small, poor, and outdated design. Biggest improvements will be reducing stuff and having better storage options for the crappy space.

What is it exactly about Fuji colors...and why are they so great?
Mysterious questions which many have pondered over.
But regardless of the answers, I really like the colors in this shot - the textures - and the subject. And the way the 35mm 'Fujicron' renders. This photograph reminds me, again, of why the older X-E3...is still a great camera.

Driving through the small Oregon town where I live, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a dented and bondo-ed older VW Karman-Ghia...and I had to stop. Once upon a time, a few decades ago, I owned the convertible clone of this car. But in some ways the hardtop is even cooler.

GX9_Feb2_23_Karman-Ghia#1.jpg

Back